Statue damaged by Atlanta protesters champions peace, not Confederacy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jdillings, Aug 16, 2017.

1. jdillings macrumors 65816

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

looks like they are about as stupid as the KKK. someone needs to add some chlorine to that gene pool lets hope they don't reproduce with each other.

3. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

A not insignificant portion of our populace just can't reed. It's hardz.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

5. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

I found this to be rather telling. I do not trust the anti-fa movement. They have provoked violence in the past and looked to do so again, in Atlanta at this event. It was heartening to see the BLM folks put themselves between the anti-fa and the lone police officer.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Same BLM that was yelling what do we want? Dead cops?

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Keep in mind that Antifa is not a single cohesive group, but rather a bunch of anarchist cells and thus, YMMV depending on the group.

And, of course, people may take up the mantle of the group's antifascism and use that an apparent excuse for criminal acts.

It's a long-term problem for any diffuse, direction action group.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2017 ---
    Remember kids:
    When white people yell "blood and soil" its because there are fine people and bad people. But, when a BLM activist in one city proclaims such an awful thing, everyone involved in BLM believes it.

White people are complex individuals. Everyone else belongs to one monolith or another.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Lets keep it parallel, when KKK yells blood and soil (whatever the **** that means) they are all pieces of ****, when BLM yell to kill cops and no one in the org denounces or leaves the org, they are all pieces of ****.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The KKK didn't yell "blood and soil" actually. That was the cadre of "alt-right." And, it's a reference to Blut und Boden, a Nazi idea about heritage.

And, the "dead cops" chant was likely done, not by BLM, but by the Trayvon Martin Organizing Committee in December 2014, in New York.

Anyway, again, one group said something awful and apparently that means that every member of BLM, in every protest ever, is responsible.

This makes no sense.

And, again, this is how the propaganda against BLM has worked since the group's inception. Now, I don't agree with many of BLM's tenants, and they're wrong about the death of Michael Brown. "Hands up, don't shoot" is mythology.

But, the group is not a racist, or terroristic organization.

Meanwhile, the KKK is literally a terrorist organization. So, too are Neo-Nazis. And, when someone in BLM hears that "dead cops" chant, they should complain or leave. Otherwise, they have explaining to do.

But, that's not actually what happened.

And, yet, we're supposed to believe that the "fine people" that walked around chanting "Jews won't replace us" are not endemic to the "alt-right."

Same logic applies.

This is the problem of "keeping it parallel" these groups aren't parallel. Members of a group related to BLM once said something awful. But, members of the KKK and the rest not only say awful things all the time, but have literally murdered people. Including on Saturday.

So, you can try to find false equivalencies. But, they really don't exist.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

By parallel I meant you were trying to paint an entire race in one statement and a single group in another. BLM doesn't represent black people just like the KKK doesn't represent white people

11. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

The problem, hulugu, is that virtually all the "anarchists" I've seen associated with the anti-fa are all ancoms, not run of the mill anarchists or anarcho-capitalists of any sort. They're usually all black flaggers and they're usually the violent sort, as we have seen many times in the past in the Pacific Northwest and other locales. These people are not to be trusted. When I see the black and yellow flag flying I might change my mind, but not enough of these folks are of the peaceful sort.

12. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I agree with the majority of what you post. I do.

Trump was inarticulate - if not giving cover - regarding the alt right/nazi protest.

But surely you and I can agree - hopefully - that "the right" is saying political violence is wrong, and "the left" is saying political violence is ok because.

ISIS - yes, I'm going there - is righteously proud of their destruction of historical monuments.

If this moment of violence is right, it was right six months ago, and will be right six months from now.

I'd be more enlisted with liberals/democrats/progressives if this weren't so much another end-of-the-world-this-month-again.

13. Volgin Suspended

Volgin

Talk about racist hate speech. BLM
    is far more dangerous than the KKK in my opinion.

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

let see who has killed and tortured more people? spread more hate?

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Sure, because having an actual idea could be dangerous, yah.

The KKK is brain dead and literally on life support in some of its really lean years, but staggers out of the ICU for awhile again, decade after decade. KKK is a zombie that accidentally threw away the secret code for eternal rest.

Of course just asserting that "black lives matter" has long since painted a target on the BLM organization's back for any who would like to infiltrate such a group and put anarchic violence on its menu. Any decentralized organization is somewhat vulnerable to "hacking" like that, as well as to the somewhat less damaging prospect of merely having one or another subgroup appear to speak for all who are drawn to the organizing principle.

16. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Oooh. Ok. It's my turn.

Would you rather the gathered BLM members do nothing? Seems they did a good job of deescalating things and the crowd soon dispersed.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2017 ---
    Who the hell ever said the KKK represents all white people???

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The OP stated that white people were allowed to have bad apples aka nazis while BLM was not. This isn't a proper comparison because people don't choose to be a race, they choose to be Nazis or BLM members.

18. JayMysterio, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017

JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

That wasn't BLM, that was from the march in NY. Not a BLM march. As far as the other recorded incident it was a short 30 second bit that was shouted down & stopped by other BLM members. But hey, don't let the truth stop a good bit of fiction.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 17, 2017 ---
    BLM has a had it's share of extremist members with racist views, but isn't an organization based on racism.

The KKK is pretty much it's own racist brand. Much worse in anyone's opinion.

Also for all of you who hang their hate on BLM based on chants calling for dead cops...

Do me a favor. Document the times you've seen this happen ( doesn't have to be personally, go grab those Youtube clips, all two of them ), seen it posted. Now, compare to how many times you heard racist crap spewed on just Saturday alone. Let me know what you come up with.

If you going to work with false equivalences, at least work hard at it.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Sure, they can suggest that was another anti-establishment group that chanted that one, they probably matched together though.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbsne...blanket-chant-at-minnesota-fair-riles-police/

How bout frying cops like bacon?

20. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

1. No. It wasn't BLM, sorry. 'Probably' means you're guessing. I've already posted the truth behind that video that Fox/Hannity have used multiple times dishonestly. Why if BLM is so bad, the need for fabrication? o_O

2. As I've said, the group will have it's passionate extremists that get caught up. If you want to use the 'bad apples' defense, remember it will apply both ways. Only it seems there are lot more documented bad apples on the other side.

Keep working on it though. That's the second of two commonly reported incidents. The same two that are ALWAYS reported. If BLM is so bad, why is it so hard to find other examples?

Where's the other many instances of racist chants? You gotta a long way to catch to the total of racist crap spewed Friday night or Saturday, let alone both combined.

21. Volgin Suspended

Volgin

Give it time. BLM is only in its infancy and has already called for "dead cops".
    --- Post Merged, Aug 17, 2017 ---
    Despite how you think each organization was started the fact remains that the right to assemble is protected by the constitution, destroying public property is not. The whiteys were not in the wrong gif trying to assemble. The protesting statue destroyers were on the wrong.

22. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

o_O

"Give it time" is a prediction. It's not a statement of what is happening now, and it's merely a hope on your part that they become the boogeyman that people should fear.

23. Volgin Suspended

Volgin

I do not hope that they commit more violence. I FEAR that they will commit more violence.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Didn't you get the Memo? Anyone black protesting about anything is a part of BLM. :eek::p:eek:

25. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I'm unclear what you're saying is a fabrication. BLM did in fact call for pigs in a blanket, fry them like bacon. If you were saying something else was fabricated I apologize for not picking up on it.