Statue of Heather Heyer and Troopers to replace Lee in Charlottesville

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Aug 18, 2017.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Just a headline I made up, but I think it is fitting.

Yes, I know Heather was just one of a crowd and was just a random unlucky victim, but she has now become a symbol of a cause.
    And of course the 2 police men who unfortunately died in duty to maintain peace.

Debate topic, do not mind if you hate it or love it.

2. zin Suspended

The snowflakes in Baltimore have already decided to replace their statue of Lee with that of a pregnant black woman, also defacing the property in the process.

3. steve knight, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I am Donald trump and I approve of this message. The beautiful statue of Lee should never be replaced by a knocked up black person the shame.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The white supremacists had the worst possible outcome with all of this. They went in with arms to a, what they are calling, "peaceful protest", with one of their lot killing a counter-protester, making her a martyr on the side that is right and just. That is the worst possible outcome they could have ever had.

Case in point: with no condemnation from the POTUS on this (he was pressured into it, then walked it back), they still are even on the wrong with their so-called "validation" from the POTUS, when all that it showed was that the POTUS dropped himself down to their level, which is equally as wrong.

So Heyer being a martyr to this cause is the absolute worst thing the Supremacists could have. Should a statue of her go up in that park, let alone the park be renamed for her, we shall see what the Supremacists do to it; especially if any Black churches are any indication.

Stay classy.

BL.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

I don't think a statue. But a memorial of some sort is fitting and appropriate.

6. zin Suspended

That is actually what happened.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

And what problem do you have with it? The statues were removed by the local government. They cease to exist there. Unauthorized statues and art are placed around cities all the time.

Does it offend you that someone decided to put something in its place? If so - are you sure you're calling the right people snowflakes?

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Reminds me of that pregnant Trump statue in Miami... Wait... They'll telling me it's fat Trump. Correction: Fat Trump.

[​IMG]

9. samcraig macrumors P6

And I'll add... If someone likes the fact that Trump gives the press and other politician a big FU - then you should love this. This is the community giving their finger to the White Supremacists.

10. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Ass too small, remember the tennis shorts.

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

It's impossible to forget the tennis shorts. Science knows I've tried!

12. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I think it should be replaced with a bronze statue of Trump tweeting. In a few years it will also be torn down for being a hero to racists and a monument to a dark time in American history.

13. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Thanks... I need eye bleach now.

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Do you really care about what statues another country on another continent has in it's parks an ocean away from you? Really?

15. MarkusL macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but black women and their pregnancies have been part of US history longer than Lee and his fight for slavery. But it's fine, not everyone is in the "preserving history" camp and may have other reasons for defending Confederate statues.

16. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

HM... Well, I don't believe a statue of a black pregnant woman is fitting, given this article.

"
    Black Abortions By The Numbers
    In the United States, the abortion rate for black women is almost 4 times that of white women. On average, 900 black babies are aborted every day in the United States. This tragedy continues to impact the population levels of African-Americans in the United States. The abortion racial disparity holds true when the focus is on Michigan statistics as well.

National Statistics
    • More than 19 million black babies have been aborted since the 1973 Roe v. Wade U.S. Supreme Court decision legalized abortion in our country.
    • Black women have a significantly higher abortion rate than whites and Hispanics.

• 35.6% of all abortions in the U.S. are performed on black women, however, black women make up only about 13% of the female population.

• African Americans are no longer the nation’s largest minority group. Today, Hispanics have outpaced blacks in population growth.

• For every 1,000 live births, non-Hispanic black women had 420 abortions. Non-Hispanic white women had 121 abortions /1,000 live births."

SOURCE: https://rtl.org/outreach/

17. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Your point, please? I don't see the connection to this particular statue. I looked at the linked picture and the woman depicted in the statue and I don't see any references to celebrating abortion. Please educate me.

18. zin Suspended

According to the polls many on here worship, the vast majority of Americans don't hold the ridiculous view that the statues are just symbols of racism.

I mean eight years of the first black president and suddenly they're an issue. :rolleyes:

19. MarkusL macrumors 6502

I'm not aware of the specific polls that say a majority of Americans like General Lee more than they like black women. I noticed you used the "snowflake" keyword to signal that "here's something silly, join me in ridiculing it" but your point was not entirely clear to me. Is there something particularly atrocious about displaying statues of black people that made this example any worse than just taking down the Lee statue without replacing it?

20. zin Suspended

Intentional mischaracterisation of what I said. I said that according to the polls, "the vast majority of Americans don't hold the ridiculous view that the statues are just symbols of racism". Where did you get 'liking General Lee more than black women' from?

I don't see the objective nor class in replacing a historical monument with an unauthorised, amateur display of tacky art, and vandalising the platform in the process. To replace the former statue with this is evident these people are nothing more than the kind of activists who see racism everywhere they look. They're usually called social justice warriors and don't accomplish very much in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps they should be protesting things that have caused actual harm to their members, like the disproportionate violent crime rates among their inner cities they seem to ignore.

21. MarkusL macrumors 6502

No, an intentional attempt to probe further into what you meant. You expressed the opinion that replacing the statue of Lee with a black woman was somehow worse than just removing Lee. When asked about it, you quoted polls that only discuss people's opinions about the Confederate statues themselves, and do not to my knowledge dive into the issue of comparisons between Confederate statues and their potential replacements. Thereby clarifying that the dislike from the pregnant black woman statue you expressed comes from you, and not from the people interviewed in those polls you dislike so much.

Okay, so we have established that you have little love for social justice warriors who see racism everywhere. Please, tell me how you feel about social injustice warriors who se racism nowhere, even when it exists?

Besides, stating that social justice warriors have accomplished very little in the grand scheme of things is completely false. Social justice warriors ended slavery, they acknowledged the right of women and black people (even black women!) to vote, and much more.

22. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Yeah, who knew first girl murdered by terrorist Nazi statue savers would raise the awareness so high.:confused:

23. zin Suspended

They defaced the platform and put up an unauthorised statue. What is their message? Doesn't seem like a loving one to me. In my opinion, they shouldn't be replaced, and it's confusing as to why they're suddenly an issue under Donald Trump but weren't a major issue any other time.

I think it's insulting to civil rights leaders like Martin Luther King Jr. and statesmen like Abe Lincoln to compare them to social justice warriors whose priorities lie in practicing identity politics and race-baiting instead of fighting the true scourges that affect their communities.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 19, 2017 ---
    You're blaming a statue for the decision of an evil individual to drive their car into a group of people?

24. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

No, don't act so silly, how can I blame an inatimate object. I'm blaming the evil Nazi KKK alt right protestors. Wasn't the statue their stated reason for being there from all over the country.

25. MarkusL macrumors 6502

See, your expressed opinion of why the statue is inappropriate has come a long way already! The offending properties of the statue (black, pregnant, female) have now been replaced by another (unauthorized). I guess that's progress?

Oh, come on now. Since the dawn of time reactionaries have ridiculed those who care about the rights of anyone but themselves, mocking them for their sense of right and wrong. The reactionaries of our time are not special just because they have invented the term "social justice warrior" to replace derogatory terms like "****** lover" and similar that were popular in the past.

Also, I don't subscribe to some kind of superhero worship that says Dr King alone gave black Americans civil rights, and that president Lincoln before him gave the slaves their freedom. Those two men for sure made monumental marks in the history of America and of the planet, but their work was made possible by their allies, the grassroots activists speaking up for what is right and speaking up against what is wrong. Or as they would be called today by those who reject progress: Social Justice Warriors.