Statue of Limitations

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
A naked statue of Hillary was unveiled in Manhattan, NY today. Some people took offense, attacked the creator, and attempted to destroy the statue.

What is your feeling about the Hillary statue and the other statues being erected to poke fun at the candidates ?

Were these people correct in trying to destroy the statue or should they recognize the creators free speech ?

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
Felt it was a dumb thing to do with Trump. Still feel like it's a dumb thing to do with Hillary.

I do wonder if the NYC Parks Department will create an equally cheeky written statement like, "NYC Parks stands firmly against any unpermitted erection in city parks, no matter how small."

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Violence and destruction of property are never acceptable means of protest. I do believe the creators are protected under free speech so long as the statue isn't too graphic or not safe for public eye

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I will spare my rant on political objectivity and double standards for another day.

I will say the artists true brillliance lies in his ability to reveal this.

Reactions: webbuzz

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I absolutely think this person has every right to express his freedom of speech.

Then again I also think our society is a bunch of prudes when it comes to nudity. Hence my sig.

eye bleach please.
We're fresh out. You could try regular bleach.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
Gourd City
While I appreciate the humor, certain artistic choices have stolen a certain ineffable quality of my appreciation for the "Pastoral" segment of Fantasia, and the opening segment of Allegro Non Troppo. The inspired and artful rendering of fauns will be forever tainted.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
A naked statue of Hillary was unveiled in Manhattan, NY today. Some people took offense, attacked the creator, and attempted to destroy the statue.

What is your feeling about the Hillary statue and the other statues being erected to poke fun at the candidates ?

Were these people correct in trying to destroy the statue or should they recognize the creators free speech ?
No one wants to see naked old people, or a likeness thereof.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
What if it was a naked Muhammad?
The artist would need to go into hiding for the rest of his life or hire a security company to protect him. If he works for a publication or company they would be asking to have their offices "Charlie Hebdo'd"