Statue of Limitations

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

A naked statue of Hillary was unveiled in Manhattan, NY today. Some people took offense, attacked the creator, and attempted to destroy the statue.

What is your feeling about the Hillary statue and the other statues being erected to poke fun at the candidates ?

Were these people correct in trying to destroy the statue or should they recognize the creators free speech ?

2. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Felt it was a dumb thing to do with Trump. Still feel like it's a dumb thing to do with Hillary.

I do wonder if the NYC Parks Department will create an equally cheeky written statement like, "NYC Parks stands firmly against any unpermitted erection in city parks, no matter how small."

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

We only have free speech so long as people agree with what you're saying. Welcome to US 2016.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

People trying to destroy someone else's property should be charged to the fullest extent of the law. Just because you don't like something, find it offensive, etc. doesn't give you the right to damage/destroy it.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Perfectly acceptable to destroy the statue because #BillyBushMadeMeDoIt.

Seriously, lock their asses up for 30 days. They won't be destroying anything else.

7. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Violence and destruction of property are never acceptable means of protest. I do believe the creators are protected under free speech so long as the statue isn't too graphic or not safe for public eye

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I will spare my rant on political objectivity and double standards for another day.

I will say the artists true brillliance lies in his ability to reveal this.

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I absolutely think this person has every right to express his freedom of speech.

Then again I also think our society is a bunch of prudes when it comes to nudity. Hence my sig.

We're fresh out. You could try regular bleach.

10. chown33 macrumors 604

While I appreciate the humor, certain artistic choices have stolen a certain ineffable quality of my appreciation for the "Pastoral" segment of Fantasia, and the opening segment of Allegro Non Troppo. The inspired and artful rendering of fauns will be forever tainted.

11. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

No one wants to see naked old people, or a likeness thereof.

12. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The artist would need to go into hiding for the rest of his life or hire a security company to protect him. If he works for a publication or company they would be asking to have their offices "Charlie Hebdo'd"

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Heh... "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee..."

We would have really gone for it, why not!