"Status: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DrDanH, Sep 26, 2010.

  1. DrDanH macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2008
    #1
    When did the status of the MBP change to this? Seems like it was recent...
     
  2. macintoshtoffy macrumors 6502a

    macintoshtoffy

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2009
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #2
    If there is a refresh I doubt you'll see a major refresh until probably 2011 when USB3 and Sandy Bridge along with a major MacBook refresh with Core 2 finally replaced with i3/i5/i7.
     
  3. mulo macrumors 68020

    mulo

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    Location:
    Behind you
  4. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #4
    USB 3 implementation into Intel's chipsets is expected to happen in 2012 though. Intel wants to push Lightpeak, which is also delayed until 2012.
     
  5. mulo macrumors 68020

    mulo

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    Location:
    Behind you
    #5
    maybe FireWire 3200 is here to save the day?
     
  6. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2010
    #6
    Apple is behind LightPeak.
     
  7. archmc macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2010
    #7
    So what do you think the sooner update is about`?
     
  8. daneoni macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #8
    Arrandale refresh (revised chips) if done soon or Sandy Bridge if done in '11
     
  9. mulo macrumors 68020

    mulo

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    Location:
    Behind you
    #9
    slight speed bump, nothing major, then sandy bridge mid 2011
     
  10. macintoshtoffy macrumors 6502a

    macintoshtoffy

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2009
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #10
  11. drambuie macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2010
    #11
    Today the number of days since the last update is almost exactly 80% of the average update period. I wonder if the notice change is triggered by that percentage. That can be tested in 24 days, when the Macbbook will reach 156 days, or 80% of its average update period of 195 days.
     
  12. toxic macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2008
    #12
    I think there'll be an update before the end of the year, but just speed bumps. Intel is blocking USB3. maybe the 13" models will get the new CPUs...depends if Intel will let Apple use NVidia GPUs. anybody know?

    if not, Apple will probably wait until 2011. or maybe they'll cut a deal with AMD instead just because Intel is being difficult :rolleyes:
     
  13. WardC macrumors 68030

    WardC

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2007
    Location:
    Fort Worth, TX
    #13
    It's been about 5 months, so that is about 150 days.
     
  14. dontworry macrumors 6502

    dontworry

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    #14
    I just bought an 15i5 and would feel no remorse if a new one came out today. This thing blows my old laptop away.
     
  15. johnnymg macrumors 65816

    johnnymg

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2008
    #15
    If you study the historical release dates you'll see that this is a very premature statement. At best you might see a speed bump for the TOL i7.

    If anything the MBA appears to be ready for a refresh.

    cheers
    JohnG
     
  16. Apple NZ macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2010
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #16
    I hope to see new MBPs in time for Christmas this year along with new 2011 iWork and iLife :D

    It would be a spec bump, for example larger hard drives to better compete with all the Windows machines coming out with 500gb and 640gb drives.

    Would it be correct to think that Sandy Bridge MBPs will take a while to come out, maybe mid 2011? Just like Arrandale MBPs took quite a while to release.
     
  17. mark28 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
  18. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2010
    #18
    Sandy Bridge MBP replacement chips are coming out Q1 2011. OTOH Sandy Bridge MBA replacement chips are coming Q2 2011
     
  19. mark28 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    #19
    New i5 and i7 have been announced by Intel.

    The new i5 has 2.66 ghz and 3.33 ghz on Turbo boost. The new i7 is 2.8 ghz and 3.46 ghz on Turbo boost.

    You're not really going to notice the speed difference between the current model and the new model if they will use these new i5 and i7.

    But if you can wait, why not wait to see if Apple updates the MBP to these new i5 and i7 with possibly a GT 4XXm.

    But personally, I would only wait for the Sandy Bridge MBP with hopefully an ATI 6xxx. :p That update will be a big boost in performance.
     
  20. dccarmo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2010
    #20
    So, in conclusion, do you guys think there's any chance that MBP is going to get a speed bump together with the new MBA in October? I'm dying to get my hands on a MBP but don't want to buy and then a week later watch Apple refreshing the line with new cpu/gpu.
     
  21. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

    PhelpsiPhan

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2009
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #21
    I think it will only be a small speed bump, nothing major, i am getting a 13" MBP when i get tot the states next month. Cant Wait
     
  22. mark28 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    #22
    You can wait if you want.

    Sony just updated their Sony F to Core i5 580 ( 2.66 ghz / 3.33 ghz ) and GT 425M.

    Apple copies Sony it seems, so if there will be an update, expect it to be also a Core i5 580 with the GT 425M.

    ( The GT425M performs the same though as the 330M, but it supports Direct X 11 )

    Sony F also has USB 3.0, but Apple won't include that ofcourse, they make too much money for the license of Firewire.
     
  23. dccarmo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2010
    #23
    Yeah, I'm thinking on buying a MacBook White to save save some money, since there's this chance of getting an outdated notebook anyways.
     
  24. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2010
    #24
    There is no point in a new MBA, Sandy Bridge has far superior graphics so why not wait?

    IMO the C2D 2.4GHz is going to be dropped
     
  25. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

    vipergts2207

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #25
    I believe Apple will end up using the 425m as well. According to notebookcheck however, the 425m should actually have better performance than even the 335m. If we're lucky Apple might even bump the memory from 256/512 to 512/1024.
     

Share This Page