Stay Classy France: France ban muslim veils

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macfan881, Sep 14, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And the Swiss banned minarets.

The U.S. isn't alone in foolishly fearing Islam.

We all have a long way to go.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So it's the whole world that devolves and retracts on social progress when times are tough.....

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To be fair on te French they are very secular. Teachers aren't allowed to wear visible crosses.

That said this seems pretty dodgy. It'll be interesting if it sticks.

6. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

So from the religious persecuting the nonreligious to the other way around?
    Way to learn from the past!

7. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Can I wear a ski mask at the DMV for my drivers license pic?

Sorry but even if you can find women that are so used to wearing it that they don't want to take it off the fact remains that it is an insult to say women must shamefully hide their face.

I don't care if it does have anything to do with their particular choice of oppressive invisible superhero. If they just came out and called the women slaves then we would have a problem with it... hopefully

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Depends on whether they're made from cotton or synthetics...

All I can add is that this dubious law, as reported in this article, seems at least to have some measure of where the problem lies:

With some options still open to those who wish to cover:

This is genuinely an issue that I can easily argue on both sides. I'm not surprised the left abstained in this vote.

9. remmy macrumors 6502a

The ban only stops women wearing a veil that covers there face totally. They are still allowed to wear a head scarf of they're choosing.

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The attitude towards Islam is not the same in the U.S. as in France—Americans associate muslims with terrorism and large-scale violence, whereas the perception in France is much more of a fear of a cultural shift.

Immigration policy has lead to a considerable increase in muslims living in France (and Switzerland) in a rather short period of time. France has never claimed to be a 'melting pot' as the U.S. is purported to be, and there is concern that muslim culture is beginning to be imposed on the French. Muslims make up roughly 10% of the French population now, and there is a general perception (not without foundation) that these immigrants have come to France to partake in its economic prosperity but not its society or culture.

It's a very delicate situation, as the French understand their culture and society to be part of a very long legacy. It's hard to say it without sounding radically far right—but is it reasonable for us to expect the French to blindly accept the growing imposition of Islam? Islam does not have a good track record in supporting the freedoms (womens rights, dress, speech) and modern lifestyle (alcohol, sexuality, secularity etc) that have become important elements of the western world. The veil is ultimately a representation of this conservative, religious culture that many feel has little place in modern France. The muslim immigrants exhibit little interest in adapting to the French lifestyle whose country they share—should the French really be forced to accommodate them? Muslims are certainly not helped by the vocal minority who wish to bring with them their ideas of sharia law...

Like I said, it's hard to say this without coming across as extremely far right and xenophobic, but I do feel that this is a very different situation from what we see in the U.S. with the 'ground zero mosque' nonsense.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't think you provide an apt comparison.

Could you wear a ski mask and walk around the street?

Yes.

Are ski masks banned?

No.

12. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Actually the law makes it a point not to mention muslims spicifically so my comparison is not that bad since part of the logic behind the law is the ability to make positive identifications of people using an ID. An ID with a picture of a ski mask or a vail would be useless.

13. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

14. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

To be fair, of the other 5 countries polled, the US was the most in opposition, 2 out of 3 opposed the idea. Other European countries were less receptive than France, but still favored it more than us.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And lord knows we all spend so much of our lives getting our photos taken at the DMV. :rolleyes:

16. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

QFLF

17. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

What really makes me sick is that people want the same law established here in the USA...

...to that I say...you know the difference between America and France? Freedom.

18. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Oh, no. Back to calling them Freedom Fries again.

19. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

The Atlantic Ocean? :p

20. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

What ever works...!

Actually, to that I say, it's still delicious!

This is also true.

21. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

France's expulsion of the Romany is much more reprehensible.

These two great 18th century republics regress to such an extent. Who'da thunk it?

22. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

Egalite, Liberbite, Frateretie!

Muslim veils have nothing to do with the ideals of France.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And banning them has nothing to do with freedom, other than taking it away from the women that want to wear them.

I understand this was some sort of attempt to protect oppressed women, but this was a twisted and illogical way to go about it.

24. Queso macrumors G4

So you don't speak a word of French then :D :D

25. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Why would Texas ban these?