Stay Classy Mayor Daley

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, May 21, 2010.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What an idiot.:rolleyes:

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/clout_st/2010/05/daley-says-he-regrets-butt-gun-remark.html

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

NRA. Militia. Sarah Palin.

Gun collector. WWI, WWII, Vietnam vet of family member.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Unfortunately it has been "ending" for a very long time, with no real end in sight. :rolleyes:

While it seems that this guy has made Chicago into what it is today, it is just all very fishy and he acts as if he owns the place.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If only. If there was any justice in the world, his career would have been over a long time ago. I somehow doubt this will be the straw that breaks his career.

8. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Unfortunately, you are probably correct.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

[​IMG]

We can all dream....

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Huh.

Now what do you suppose would've happened if the reporter had made that comment vis-a-vis Daley............?

[​IMG]

Yeah, probably.

12. Shivetya macrumors 65816

You don't know Chicago

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yup. It's like expecting the citizens of Louisiana to throw out David Vitter, or the citizens of Nevada to throw out John Ensign, or the voters of SC to throw out Mark Sanford.

Ain't gonna happen. Sometimes ideology trumps the right thing to do.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's not the same thing at all.

Here's the problem- Daley has such a tight grip on the politics in this city that people are afraid to run against him. Not just because they might lose, but what may happen to them if they run. Daley is a guy who's been known to openly do business with the mob. We haven't had a serious alternate candidate run ever since he's been mayor. It's not because we're idiots that he keeps getting elected. It's that there is no alternative.

Why do guys think we keep hoping Patrick Fitzgerald will go after him? It seems like the only way we'll ever be rid of him. You guys think Blagojevich was bad? He's can't hold a stick to the s*** Daley has pulled.

15. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- there are not.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So vote for the unserious candidate just to get the guy the hell out of there. I find it hard to believe that Daley could threaten every voter in the city, or even half of them. For some reason, Chicagoans keep pulling that lever next to Daley's name. Are there ideological differences, yet they're too scared? Or do they agree enough with Daley that they're willing to put up with his crap because he's a D?

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He would never threaten the voters, just the other candidate.

I can't believe you are sitting here calling us idiots. You know me and how involved I am in politics. You have no idea how corrupt this town is. Voter turn out last time was extremely low (below 40%) and no other serious candidate ran. And when I say "serious" I mean it. The people who ran were far worse than Daley, so a lot of people stayed home.

You also seem to be hung up on ideology. That's not the issue at all. The other two candidates were Independent and Democrat. Republicans don't do well here at all- to the point that very few even run.

I'll quote you from another thread:

Now maybe you get it. It's like that situation, but far more extreme.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's hardly unique to Chicago. Rumors of threats to other candidates abound. Sure, it's on steroids there, but it happens all over.

I'm no more calling you an idiot than you would call me an idiot for California's vote on Prop H8. Yet that vote still happened.

My understanding of Chicago politics is that Daley greases enough wheels among his constituents that people are willing to tolerate his crap. That doesn't mean YOU personally do, or that you're one of those who votes for him. If it was me, I'd vote for a write in for Bill the Cat or something rather than voting for such a corrupt hosebag.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Like I said, it's a losing battle. The people who show up to run against him are complete loons that no one in their right mind would vote for. It's a really screwed up situation.