Stay classy Tennessee

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macfan881, Jul 16, 2010.

1. 184550 Guest

I remember back in the early to mid 90's the KKK use to be allowed to have a parade through historic part of our downtown area. The amount of police protection for the KKK members was pretty intense given almost the entire population threatened them in some way, shape or form. Sometime in the mid 90's though our town changed the regulations that permitted said parade and there hasn't been one since.

Here's to hoping your town does the same thing soon.

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    It says political views are protected but can't they easily draw some distinction as race is an issue and deny them the permit?

3. samiwas macrumors 68000

It would be impossible to make happen, but the very best thing a town could do is somehow not have ANYONE go to protest against them. Leave the whiteys completely alone. It will crush them. They thrive on people standing around yelling at them. Take that away, and they have nothing.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

If they want to do that the thing like gay pride would be banned or parades for thing like Martin Luther king would be banned because those involve race and sexuality.

Like it or not they are with thier rights to do this. I support the right of free speech

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

When I was young my hometown dealt with this simply by instituting a parade fee, which was mysteriously paid by anonymous benefactors for homecoming parades and the like, and since the Klan guys were just poor, bitter losers, they couldn't pony up.

Sadly, the Internet lets poor, bitter losers from all over the country pool their money.

Still kind of sad. Pulaski really is the ass end of the middle of nowhere.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The parade sound like the perfect opportunity for radical blacks to exercise their open-carry rights.

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Can't we keep all the tea party stories to a single thread?

9. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

While on the one hand I really admire the principle of free speech and freedom of expression in the USA, I do not believe this would happen if, for example, the Black Panthers (the real Panthers, not these various me-gen Panthers) were to apply to do the same.

10. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Pretend they're invisible. There's nothing worse than not being acknowledged as existing. Soon they'll begin to doubt their own existence . . . eventually they'll go insane . . .

11. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

+1
    The kkk are just irl trolls. Don't feed the trolls.
    same with all hate groups.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Unfortunately, I have to agree.

They're doubly protected by the 1st Amendment (Freedom of Speech, and Freedom of Assembly). The latter was probably the main reason the city couldn't deny them the permit.

BL.

13. samiwas macrumors 68000

This is precisely the reason I said the town should band together and completely ignore the existence of this gathering. You can't stop their gathering, but you can stop their reason for gathering. If these hate groups have no one listening to them, and especially no one bantering with them, then they have no purpose. They live to agitate.

14. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Regrettably after thinking about it I guess it's technically right that they can have their parade - but what if it was a Nazi parade? Would the State still allow it?

15. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Is it just me or is anyone else getting a little bored with all the "stay classy" spam?

16. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I wouldn't say 'bored' but it's a phrase I don't really understand and that I find somewhat irritating,

17. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

It's pretty basic ironic sarcasm. It has usually been used around here when describing some public action that is indefensibly crass, particularly from someone who ideally ought to know better.

So you'd never say, "stay classy, white supremacists," because nobody expects them to be anything other than useless, stupid, under-educated thugs. But you'd say it of politicians (and the states who elect them to represent themselves), and of, say, global news organizations, because we really ought to expect better from both.

On the other hand, the use of "stay" rather than something narrower like "be" expands the scope of the dig, implying that the subject makes a habit of not living up to reasonable standards of social decency.

In this case, I don't think it really works. Tennessee is not doing this. They just can't legally prevent it. I guarantee you the last thing most Pulaski residents want is a violent, hateful moron convention in town. Towns in the South may have had active Klan presence, but once they shifted their strategy from murdering people in the dead of night to just being public trolls, they became a nuisance for small towns everywhere, and often a more difficult problem to address, because you can just arrest somebody who is committing a violent crime, not somebody who is standing around in a sheet shouting stupid things, or having little meetings in secret and pretending they have the power (or the intellect!) to take over the country.

I really do feel sorry for the residents of Pulaski. It can't be easy living in Racist Idiot Mecca. Regardless, I bet the turnout is unbelievably small. The Internet may have gotten them enough support to do this, but individually white supremacists are still generally pathetic low-lifes looking to blame someone else for their own failure in life, which means a lot of them will have to settle for being there "in spirit."

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes it would.

19. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Want to see one of those visit Coeur d'Elane Idaho the Neo's parade there yearly every July--it hasn't made the news as much lately though.

20. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Freedom is a sword that cuts both ways, though I still think were better off with it.

Most of the time :)

21. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Maybe it's good to be able to spot hate and be reminded that it still lurks time to time..

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The thing is, in this country we have the right wing media, a bunch of disinformation purveyors who are on the air every day, intent on gaining political, religious and/or monetary power by wrapping up their bigotry, materialism and control fetishes in packages of patriotic fervor or faux "information". At this they are, unfortunately, quite successful.

The KKK, on the other hand, is a bunch of pathetic losers holding occasional parades so they can struggle to hold onto an increasingly unappealing opinion that only other losers pay attention to.

Now: which one do you think we really need to worry about?

23. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Yeah well said really.

We had the English Defence League (extreme right 'anti-Jihad' group) protest today.. as you can see it ended well:

[​IMG]

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK...efence_League_Protest_Turns_Violent_In_Dudley

Yeah, freedom of speech is a terrible thing.:D

The left-wing media and liberals is what people should worry about. It seems to me that liberals are always the ones who are trying to censor the opinions of others and it's liberals who wish to revive fascist ideas such as the "fairness doctrine". Liberal thinking seems to be, if you can't beat them then silence them!

Ratings for most extremely biased, far-left, liberal propaganda stations are sinking and that's a great thing! No longer do liberals hold a monopoly on presenting the news as seen through their distorted, warped and leftist eyes.

I don't know much about the English Defence League, as I don't live over there, but it seems that their goals are noble and I'm sure that plenty of Americans support their goals, including me!:)