Stay with iPhone 5 or upgrade to 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmk1974, Sep 10, 2013.

?

Stay with iPhone 5 or upgrade to 5s?

1. Stay with iPhone 5

179 vote(s)
    59.9%
  2. Upgrade to iPhone 5s

120 vote(s)
    40.1%
  1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Is it worth burning the upgrade to move from the 5 to the 5s? Or wait another year and just enjoy iOS7 on the 5?

For the first time, I actually bought the AppleCare+ on my current 64 GB iPhone 5 so I was thinking of maybe skipping the 5s (though, I'm a tech crack whore and have always upgraded previously).

2. Taylor-C macrumors 6502a

3. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I bought a 5 not all that long ago and not disappointed in the least that I did.

4. batman75 macrumors 6502

To me this is a secondary question.

The primary question is: will it be another year till they launch the large screen iPhone or will it be out sooner?

If another year then I would upgrade, but if 6 months then I'd rather wait and get the large screen model.

5. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I've had the 3G, 3Gs, 4, 4s, 5 and had the intention of getting the 5s but after today's event ill be sticking with the 5 and save the $100. Just wasnt impressed enough as the 5 is very fast already and I don't really care about the fingerprint sensor.

6. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

in my opinion this was the worst iphone release of all time. Even worse than the 3g.

It literally brought NOTHING to the table.

A7 chip, big deal the iphone 5 is incredibly fast as it is. The A7 might help with infinity blade three but thats because apple made infinity blade three to run faster on the iphone 5s with a 64bit cpu.

On top of which the a7 is completely unnecessary. You dont need an iphone that fast because you arnet doing much on it.

Oh and then they brought out the finger scanner. Ok youll use it once but then youll figure out that because of icloud and sharing an itunes account youll either have only one person who can purchase itunes or everyone in your family having access to all of your passwords.

Also its sort of like bringing a feature samsung has had for years.

There is also no NFC so well have to wait for the 6 for a mobile wallet, and of course the iphone 5C :rolleyes:

oh wait i meant the iPhone 5Cheap or iphone 5Crap.

they also didnt upgrade the battery like everyone has been begging for or upgrade the crappyu retina display to even a 2012 standard of 720p.

Not to mention the camera is exactly the same. Oh and wait the fanboys are going to say no its 15% better!

Guess what no one cares.

Oh and before you say im an apple hater Im also an apple fanboy and a tech enthusiast. My first iphone was the 4s and then I had to upgrade to the 5.

But guess what im keeping my 5 on this one.

Very dissapointed apple

7. yanki01 macrumors 68030

yanki01

8. youradhere4222 macrumors 6502

I thought about it but it's just not worth it to me. I'll wait until my contract is up and then buy the iPhone 6 for $200. I'm betting that I'll still be able to sell my 5 by then for at least that much, if not $250 or $300.

I'm staying optimistic that they'll take a bigger leap with the iPhone 6. NFC is long overdue.

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Staying with the 5. In fact todays keynote made me even more happy that I have a 5. Looking forward to the 6 though ;)

10. gagaliya macrumors 6502

Compare the features:

1) Finger print scanner - no real use other than saving a few sec type in the password.

2) Continuous motion tracking chip - very interesting yet apple did not release a health app that goes with it and takes advantage of this (wtf?), so no use until good 3rd party apps come out.

3) Better camera - this is a justified upgrade and improvement if camera is important.

4) Faster gpu/cpu - my iphone 5 can play any game and app without an issue, so i really dont see it as a priority of course your use case may be different

5) gold color - yep.....

So no i wouldnt upgrade unless camera is the primary use of your iphone.

11. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

Stay. What kind of person would break contract on their 5 just to get a fingerprint scanner? I could sell the 5 on Craigslist and pay the difference to early upgrade but the 5S isn't even worth that loss, there's nothing worth upgrading to. The 5 is already fast as hell, I'd rather put that money to better use.

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I'll probably stay with the 5 for another two years from today. I'd like to get onto the 'S' model upgrade cycle.

Also that new gold color is kind of odd looking. Looks like a corroded silver iphone, or a dirty silver iphone; aged, anitique. Not necessary bad things, but not the kind of association I want with a new peice of technology.

13. jbachandouris, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Stay with 5. Not planning to upgrade.

Even trade in sites are offering $400 for my 64GB iPhone 5. $30 to upgrade (taxes)? Maybe.

14. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I'm sticking with my 5. I've only had it a few months and fell in love all over again when T-Mobile got the iPhone 5. No more #droidrage and dead batteries by noon.

The largest reason for me not wanting to upgrade is despite one neat feature, it's still the same phone and it will be a long while before iOS software goes 64 bit considering the masses of other iPhones already out in circulation, if I were developing a game for 64bit, the binaries get larger having to support two architectures and older iPhones would really suffer if every app flocked to 64 bit only and slowly killing off the older devices much like many Mac games are doing with Snow Leopard going into the slippery world of "unsupported"

The other reason was hope for a 720p screen making games easier to port two and from most mainstream Android hardware (such as the Galaxy S3 etc.) so we still have a premium priced sub HD display.

iPhone 6 down the road may have all the right stuff.

15. youradhere4222 macrumors 6502

Interesting. This release kind of confirmed for me why I like being on the non-S release cycle.

16. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

I'm sticking with my Black/Slate iPhone 5 and upgrading to the iPhone 6 next year. There's not enough new features to justify rushing to spend more to get the latest and greatest. :(

17. CAlleman macrumors member

Sticking with my 5 for now...going to use the money to buy an Xbox One

18. mateo124 macrumors regular

Same situation for me, could put it toward a next-gen console, or an iphone 5s. Myy 5 does everything it should and the 5s is just too small of an upgrade

19. CEmajr macrumors 601

Upgrading to the 5S. Selling my 5 will cover the majority of the cost anyway.

20. auero macrumors 65816

Staying. Looking at other options even. I don't find my 5 slow one bit so the only benefit would be the camera to me.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

These are decisions only you can make. If the features are of value to you then make the move. If not, then don't.

22. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Are there certain features for the camera in iOS7 that will only be available on the 5s and not the 5? My understanding was that most are due to the software, not hardware.

23. auero macrumors 65816

I'm on GM and I don't see any of the new features.

24. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

The camera would really have to be way better than on the 5 I think for me to upgrade.

25. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm sticking with my iPhone 5. The real insult here to me is no more black. Space Gray? Really?

I got the black/slate iPhone 5 because I truly like the whole 2001 monolith black slab look and now Apple wants to give me gray?

Nah, I'll wait for the iPhone 6, especially because nothing here moves me.