Stay with Lion or upgrade to Mountain Lion?

Da321123niel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2012
Hi!
I've gotten a free version of Mountain Lion but im not sure if to upgrade from Lion. Is this a no-brainer? and how much space will i lose from the ssd?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
No brainer, go with it, and I don't believe it will occupy too much more space on your drive

bcgullett

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
Mountain Lion. Lion was minimal at best in my opinion when it was released, regarding the changes it brought forward, but so far Mountain Lion has been a worth while choice for me.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Just be aware that there is still software out there that is not really behaving perfectly with Mountain Lion... worth mentioning is Skype ( scrolling can mess up the entire Skype window / text and render all kind of weird artifacts ). There are also some minor problems in Safari when deleting characters from input fields and such.

Overall, go for the upgrade, just know that you might run into some problems down the road ( eventually people will fix them, but for the moment, things are still buggy ).

magbarn

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2008
Do it, ML is much smoother than lion on my 2011 air. As I've said before lion is like osx's vista, slower and a memory hog compared to its predecessor.

chiefc

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2012
Careful, Mountain Lion 10.8 is Buggy!

Think twice. Its been buggy as heck for me. I'm running it on a Macbook 2.3 Ghz so maybe my machine is a couple of generations too old but everything since I switched takes so much longer to do. So long in fact that I'm posting for the first time on any forum.

Safari is slow, Firefox jams up, booting and rebooting takes THREE times as long. Mail even jams up. I was running 10.6 before and I'm thinking about a reverting until they get this fixed.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Lion works great on my 2012 MBA.

I keep hearing everyone keep yapping that we all should run Mountain Lion.

I looked at ML's list of new features and almost all of them appear to deal with iCloud and better integration with iDevices.

Since I don't use iCloud, and have no iDevices, the upgrade would not yield me any results.

IMO, if Lion works and you have no need for iDevice integration, ML seems un-needed.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Definitely upgrade to ML. Also, if I remember correctly, you only get 30 days to use your promo code for a free copy of ML.

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
I will upgrade, but not until at least 10.8.1 or 10.8.2 - that gives them time to work out the inevitable first exposure/release bugs.
They already have the dev version released of 10.8.1, and I think the public release is not too far off.

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
Lion works great on my 2012 MBA.

I keep hearing everyone keep yapping that we all should run Mountain Lion.

I looked at ML's list of new features and almost all of them appear to deal with iCloud and better integration with iDevices.

Since I don't use iCloud, and have no iDevices, the upgrade would not yield me any results.

IMO, if Lion works and you have no need for iDevice integration, ML seems un-needed.
Since it's free, I'd at least get the upgrade code, in case you change your mind. You just need to redeem the code. You don't have to install Mountain Lion or even download it right away. You have only until the later of August 24th or 30 days after you bought your MacBook Air to cash in the upgrade.

Note that ML will also be kept up to date a year longer than Lion. In general, it also brought some stability fixes and other changes under the hood.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I also agree that you should get it and keep it handy for when you are ready to upgrade.

I've just placed mine on my Time Machine - I got the 64 GB so space is tight.