Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I don't really like how the iPad decides to switch to a new window when I open up a link in a new webpage. I tend to click on links for reading later after i complete the section I was originally reading. Is there any way, like on the Mac, that I can set Safari so it doesn't switch to the new tab when I open a link in the new tab?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I don't really like how the iPad decides to switch to a new window when I open up a link in a new webpage. I tend to click on links for reading later after i complete the section I was originally reading. Is there any way, like on the Mac, that I can set Safari so it doesn't switch to the new tab when I open a link in the new tab?

Short answer (even though it wasn't a question): You can't. I know it's annoying, and really, there's no reason why there shouldn't be an option for this in the Safari options in Settings...

Maybe OS 4.0?

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
There are a few browser replacement apps that offer tabs but I'm waiting for some positive reviews.

None are free.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007

+1

I wish the ipad's browser had this functionality as well

maisiba

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2016
To do this, head to the iOS Settings app and find Safari in the list of iOS preferences. Scroll until you see “Open Links” in the General section and tap it to open that portion of Safari’s settings. By default, you’ll see that it’s set to “In New Tab.” Select In Background instead and close Settings by navigating back to the home screen.

Reactions: Skika

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
To do this, head to the iOS Settings app and find Safari in the list of iOS preferences. Scroll until you see “Open Links” in the General section and tap it to open that portion of Safari’s settings. By default, you’ll see that it’s set to “In New Tab.” Select In Background instead and close Settings by navigating back to the home screen.

You do know this hasn't been an issue in years, yes? :p

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
or, tap on the link on the page with your finger, but keep your finger pressed on it and it'll give you the option to open link in new tab whilst staying on the current page

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.