Steakhouse locked in feud with vegan strip club. It's not Mad Libs, it's Portland

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
this can only happen in portland.

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/inside-the-insane-feud-between-a-vegan-strip-club-and-the-steak-house-next-door?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark
In Portland, Oregon, a vegan strip club and the steak house-slash-strip club next door are locked in an intense rivalry; protests have ensued, and a wall has been erected between the two businesses. We spoke to several of the employees and customers to find out more.

Nine years ago, Casa Diablo, the world's only vegan strip club, opened in—you guessed it—Portland, Oregon, with a veggie-based menu and a ban on fur and leather onstage. It was years before Portlandia started spoofing the city's first-class weirdness, and at the time the idea seemed normal enough to locals, who have long bragged about having more nude bars and vegans per capita than any city in America.

But now the founder of Casa Diablo, Johnny "Diablo" Zukle, finds himself in a turf war. The vegan flesh peddler—who says he "puts the meat on the pole, not the plate"—recently opened a second branch of the club, Dusk 'Til Dawn: Casa Diabo 2, just feet from The Acropolis, a 35-year-old strip club-cum-steakhouse. The move angered Acropolis owner Bob Polizos, a proud carnivore who famously serves $7 ribeyes, and claims to raise some of the cattle himself on a nearby farm.

From there, things got stranger. A literal wall has been erected to keep a lid on any customer defections; hired security has been ratcheted up; and the clubs have been rocked by gun-toting drunks, family values protestors, and strippers quietly ordering food from the enemy. The proprietors of Acropolis are particularly unwilling to get along, saying that Casa Diablo is "a whorehouse" with "a bad reputation." (In 2015, Casa Diablo was sued by two strippers, who alleged they had been sexually harassed and denied back wages.)

How did it get this bad? It all started with "a good conspiracy theory." (Interviews have been edited and condensed for clarity.)

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Portland has long been a sanctuary city for weirdness. And thanks to that San Francisco has become less weird.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Good for you man. I never have either.
MOM cured me of ever smoking when she caught me stealing one of her cigarettes when I was 6. it was me and my nephew who got caught, she made us smoke part of it AND EAT the rest , yes I puked and did not care about touching them ever again.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
MOM cured me of ever smoking when she caught me stealing one of her cigarettes when I was 6. it was me and my nephew who got caught, she made us smoke part of it AND EAT the rest , yes I puked and did not care about touching them ever again.
Thats not what deterred me but whatever works. Today she'd be in jail if she tried that.

Reactions: jkcerda