Stealing an Election - Legally.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, May 12, 2014.

1. Southern Dad, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014

Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Just for discussion sake, what if a group of Republicans from very red states were move to Wisconsin 10 days before the general election. Let's say that they all went to the 2nd, 3rd or 4th district.

Wisconsin only has a 28 day residency with no voter identification required.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Okay, I'll bite.

First, source the bold please, for reference.

Second, they would still have to establish residency and register to vote prior to the election. VoterID has nothing to do with it. Whatever paperwork is required to show proof of residency is what is needed.

Third, are these Republicans planning on leaving the state after the election? If so, that does bring in the issue of voter fraud. With the consequences of that, I seriously doubt anyone would want to test/tempt those waters, especially with the consequences of being caught.

Fourth: What would you say if a group of Democrats or Independents did the same thing?

BL.

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'm actually not an opponent of voter id laws. Also, 10 day residency is nothing.

4. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Voter Photo ID Law Information

Registration and Voting

I apologize, it appears that they have a 28 day requirement now. This link is wrong or out of date but still a 28 day plan to steal and election?

Proof of residency can be a simple lease. One person rents a room to a few dozen... They allow registration on election day.

----------

Yes, a group of Democrats could do the same thing. I was making an example. Your third point is questionable. Why do they have to stay after the election? How long would they have to stay?

5. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Why go through the expense and logistics of physically moving people when you can simply alter some closed and proprietary software code and get away clean?

It's been done, in your state, and many others.

For those that would welcome a Banana Republic, it is time to celebrate, cause the U.S. of A. is there. :)

6. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Here is the real question.

Why would normal people piss away tons of money , moving their lives and time to effect local elections in a state they don't live in?

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Please change this post considering it is not accurate.

8. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

What if it could change the balance of the House or Senate... Or even a Presidential race? Think about it. OWS took up residency in a park. Some states have Laws to Make it Easier for the Homeless to Vote, could these laws be used by a group to win an election? The reason I went with Wisconsin is that they allow registration at the polls. No one would know it was coming until the ballots were being cast.

This is just conversation... I'm not moving... (Relax, NSA)

----------

Corrected... But there are states with less than 28 day requirements.

9. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

And they wouldn't be able to vote somewhere else. It'd be crooked, but it would be taking from one election to go to another.

10. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

You do make a point, I suppose if some people were willing to go that far to move to Wisconsin ( best flyover state in the country btw, love it there ), then yes they could that. Tho as soon as everyone left the day after election day, questions may come up.

This would really only work in low population states as well. And you would still need tens of thousands of people.

11. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

There are people who spend millions if not billions of dollars to win elections. You had a group of people that camped out in Zuccotti Park long enough to establish residency. Yes, they would not be able to vote in their actual home states because they would have legally moved but their home state would be already solid for their party.

New Hampshire would have been ripe for it but it now has a Voter ID requirement would makes it a little more difficult. Wisconsin doesn't require ID.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Because if you bump up the numbers just to vote in an election, and it is discovered that it was done in that manner, you are committing voter fraud, causing that entire election to be thrown out. That idea, which last I've checked, is illegal, and against the premise of your thread.

BL.

13. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Hold on, how is it voter fraud if they do it within the law? They legally live there the required number of days to establish residency and cast a ballot? The law says that you have to live there for 28 days, present a current lease or paycheck on election day to cast a ballot. Does the laws say how many days you have to stay after the election?

14. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

The US is a country dependent on exporting a limited-resource product? Wow.

Perhaps you should learn what a banana republic is.

15. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

The US is not a Banana Republic, that is correct.

Tho it does share some things in common, such as a largest improvised working class, shrinking middle class, and is run by a Plutocracy of elites.

----------

Yes, they have legally lived there long enough. However if it is found out that 50,000 people moved into a random district, then moved out the next day. Courts could easily find a reason to do another election.

16. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

But that is what I question. If they legally met the requirements of residence of the state, I really don't see the crime.

17. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

You might not, but the legal system and people of Wisconsin might feel very differently, How would you feel if tons of democrats came to change your election? find a legal reason for voter fraud from a 3rd party ( that 3rd party being outsiders coming in to ruin their election ) and redo the election. And the legal system is rarely as black and white as you think it is.

18. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I was using Wisconsin as an example. Either party could do it if the state's laws were lax enough to allow it. WI doesn't require ID, and allows registration on election day. Not many states do that.

19. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Yes, but the ideal you described, more than likely would fall under voter fraud by a 3rd party and thrown out once it is discovered, you can stretch the terms of law pretty far

20. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

What if it wasn't even hidden? After all, at 27 days prior to the election there would be nothing that could be done about it. Too short of a time period to change the law.

21. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

They don't have to change the law, if the people of Wisconsin come together, and don't want outsiders running their state, and the the courts agree. The courts will find a way to throw out the election and have another one. The legal system is not nearly as black and white as you think it is.

Not about changint the law, its just about throwing out the election under voter fraud.

And, even if the decision was barely legal, its not like the people of Wisconsin would care, they wouldn't be to keep on outsiders telling them how to do things.

22. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I just believe that it is an interesting premise using a state's own laws to change it. The amount of money spent on elections, make this something that could happen, somewhere.

23. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Yes it could, it could be TRIED.

And it is an interesting thought.

But it just couldn't be tried in this way, it would be eaisly found out and struck down by the state courts, and a new election would be held.

It would also probably spawn tons of new election laws and residency laws in that state.

There are better ways at ruining states.

Plus, Wisconsin has some of the best cheese in the world, Republicans only like Cheeze wiz! ;) ( Sarcasm ), so they couldn't stand 10 days in a place with good food and cheese.

24. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

That and the elections are in November... It's cold in Wisconsin in November. Did you know that two states allow convicted felons to vote, while serving time in prison? Think of what that could do if they voted en masse? Felon Vote Laws by State. ME and VT

25. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I doubt many felons would vote, as both parties in America support the war on drugs, and private prisons.