Steam games crashing on 2011 MBP / ATI 6750M ... anyone else experiencing this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zinn, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Zinn macrumors member

it seems like the OS X driver for the Radeon 6750M is very buggy. After a clean install of OS X, I have severe crashing problems in many 3D games.

Half Life 2 / Left 4 Dead games will hard lock the system randomly during gameplay.

Trine hard locks the system during gameplay (fullscreen and windowed)

Pretty much any fullscreen game app crashes the OS on exit--the mouse cursor is still moveable, but the game doesn't exit fully and no key combination will make the OS react.

If this thing didn't perform so beautifully in Windows 7 boot camp, I would suspect the hardware was faulty. As is, it seems like the ATI driver for OS X is piss-poor. Is anyone experiencing issues like this?

2. evro50 macrumors newbie

I only play Half Life 2 and it works great for me..

3. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Could be from the Steam games itself. Had a few games in steam that gave me trouble, but they went away eventually. Steam updates its software regularly that fixes problems like these.

4. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

I played Back to the Future from steam over the weekend on OSX and it was fine the whole time.

I installed Starcraft 2 and it crashed 3 times, hard lock, had to restart.

I will try playing starcraft this week and see how it goes. I will also be installing some source engine games to see how they run!

The only other gaming i done was in windows playing RIFT and the Crysis2 demo.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

6. DoctaKrafty macrumors newbie

I've played an hour or 2 of Team Fortress 2 and Portal since I got my MPB this morning and not noticed any issues. Aside from the fact steam crashed while trying to install from backup but we expect that from steam now.

7. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

What use is that when no button on the keyboard is responsive because the mac has CRASHED?

8. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

i actually experienced this issues last night with team fortress 2. I had been playing for 30-40 minutes, then it hard froze. I tried two more times, and it froze within minutes of each attempt. maybe i'll try it in a few days and hopefully it'll have been updated by then.

9. shelhed217 macrumors member

I have had repeated issues with Warcraft, posted a separate thread about it. And like you stated its a complete laptop freeze, nothing other than cutting the power gets out of it. I played masseffect 2 on bootcamp for several hours with no issues, but 30-45 minutes of wow crashes every time. I am considering taking this laptop back by Friday (my 14 days) if I can't find a resolution. My 2010 I7 was flawless :(

10. RisforRobots macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issues on the new MBP ... any help would be great!

11. solaris7 macrumors regular

Wow! This is interesting and worrying.....
    Are there any more people who have not had this issue though?

12. musicjon macrumors newbie

I have this problem with the 15" 6750m MBP & Dragon Age 2. It plays fine, but I can't close the game without a complete lockup of the system

13. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

A lot of folks have reported this issue. Just like the OP, I suspect a buggy video driver. After all, this is the first use of this GPU and the first version of the OSX driver. My recommendation...report your findings to Apple and wait for an update!

14. WonkyPanda macrumors regular

WonkyPanda

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Hopefully the driver update will be out soon.

16. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Excellent point -- the fact that this doesn't occur when running Windows 7 in Boot Camp almost certainly points to it being an OS X-specific driver issue. Hopefully Apple's on top of it.

17. Udden macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem. Sometimes when tabbing out or exiting a game (da2) the computer crashes. The display turns black and the computer doesn't respond to anything. The cursor usually moves and the sound is still normal.
    I better hope this is a driver issue. I've been thinking of replacing it but if it's the drivers then there's no point.

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I just got a totally blank screen when quitting Starcraft 2. I had to hold the power button (Cmd-Opt-Esc did not work) and after rebooting my USB mouse did not work until I unplugged and reconnected it (the trackpad was OK).

19. Inara macrumors member

I had a hard lock with L4D under Mac OS the first time I played it. Afterwards no problem at all.

20. Udden macrumors newbie

I just tried DA2 in Windows, and the problem doesn't occur there. Which is a bit calming I guess.

21. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

I only played about 10 minutes of SC2 but it crashed for me 3 times after installing it.

I have also played left4dead a fair bit and Back to the Future, KOTOR and Braid in OSX and had no problems.

In the last week in Windows7 64 i played 26 hours of RIFT and didnt have a single problem, and a few hours of Mafia2 with no problems at all either.

22. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Folks, if you're having this problem, PLEASE call Apple and report it! The more people who report it, the faster we'll get a fix!

23. Udden macrumors newbie

If my problems are isolated to only games or if it's a driver issue I don't care a lot. I can game perfectly in Windows and a driver issue will be fixed sooner or later.
    My biggest worry is if this will affect me in other ways. Are there any tests or tasks I can run to test my system?
    My 14 days are gone in a few days and I don't know if I should return this or not. (My only probelms so far is when tabbing/exiting games).

24. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Same here, both DAO and DA2.

25. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

100% driver issue. I wouldn't expect anything from ati too soon. They have their windows drivers to take care of too.

I would play steam in windows anyways. After playing cs for 10 years, I can't get used to the mouse acceleration difference in osx. I have it installed on both sides and find myself booting into windows everytime I want to play. It's just too weird.