Steam streaming is the greatest thing to happen to a macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zellio, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

Esp. if the device you stream from is very powerful and does a 2560x1440 resolution or above. Was playing Ass Creed 4 and Bioshock Infinite at highest settings, 2560x1440, on my Macbook Pro earlier!

2. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

haha that's an odd way to abbreviate Assassin's Creed... I don't think I wanna know what an 'ass creed' is...

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

So the games were running on your iMac?

I'm not sure I'm convinced that this is a big thing. Wouldn't the games look better on the huge iMac screen?

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

The other benefit is that you can play games normally only available on PC on a Mac. It's like remote desktop for Steam...

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

OK so I can put a desktop or a steam box in the basement and then play on my MBP without having the fan noise and heat? And I'm not limited by the built in hardware and I don't have to dual boot?

Yeah OK now it starts to make sense :)

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I haven't done anything crazy, yet. I've launched a game to see if/how it works. It DOES trigger the dGPU in my MBP but I'm not sure what load it puts on the system or how hot it gets as I didn't keep it running long. I presume the "host" system needs to be capable of running the game in order to be playable as I imagine it would be doing most of the processing.

I also discovered that the games I somewhat care about are now available for the Mac also, with no further purchase needed.

7. Zellio thread starter macrumors 65816

Zellio

You are receiving what amounts to a movie. As long as your machine can play a video at 2560x1440 or 1080p (and pretty much every gpu in the last 8 or so years can) you will be fine.

The host plays everything and you receive a movie, it's pretty much an in home onlive.