Steel and Aluminum tariffs, cheap way to get vote in a very few states.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Apr 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Steel (and Aluminum) tariffs, cheap way to get vote in a very few states, but do economic damage to rest of country.

It seems the idea of steel tariffs have existed as long as the industrial revolution, longer than America was a country, was quickly used soon after establishment of America, and had its first big use in America just after the Civil War.

But the fickle political winds and lack of planning is what hurt America.

In short:
    Steel producing regions became lazy, failed to update manufacturing equipment, eventually lost out to cheaper or better foreign steel products.
    Those updates also include using less manpower to produce the same steel.
    Concurrently new materials, mainly plastics, have replaced large demand for steel.

Just like coal, technology and demand had caused loss of jobs, and nothing #45 or Republicans can do will bring it back.
    Yet some states still yearn for the gleaming days of shiny hard steel, and irrationally demand restoration of forever lost jobs.

Still, the future of politics rests on how the next political leaders recycle the rust belt into new industries.

PS: one can say WW2 set up a situation that 71 year later #45 was able to tap into and turn 3 key states for him. A direct impact from of the results of WW2.

2. Zenithal, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018

Zenithal macrumors 604

It much like coal was a cheap promise that people could believe in. A lot of today's boomers such as Trump were old enough to remember the post WWII atmosphere. Much of Europe and Asia needed our help, our supplies, etc. It's not impossible to believe that the US was great then only because we were untouched by WWII save for Pearl Harbor, and we were working full time to get things out. While we helped out the countries destroyed by war, they rebuilt and went on to bolster their own economies once more like it was before the war.

I'm reminded of a TV episode of Roseanne from a very long time ago. I don't remember much of it except she goes to some factory or office and applies for a secretarial position. She is then informed that while she has good qualification, she cannot be hired because the office/company has moved onto computers, as have most places in the sector. This was a real problem for many people, both men and women, in the late 80s to mid 90s. Computers were seen as a fad by some and not taken seriously. To the point, and I may be wrong with names here, John Lassetter was laughed at by executives when he said he wanted to make Toy Story computer animated. I believe this meeting was in 1992-1993.

I think we'll see more industries in the US get hit by competition. China will be buying soybeans from Brazil and Mexico, now. Brazil produces about as much as we do. I suspect China will buy hard and soft wheat from other countries looking to step up. US grain farmers are hoping the tariffs end. I wouldn't hope too long.

The problem with coal (and even I believed Trump for a slim second), is that while it's energy efficient, it pollutes a lot. However, with each passing year, efficiency of solar panels get better. The theoretical max efficiency of a panel is supposedly around 84%. I know this because I looked into installing a few last summer. The investment isn't worth the time and effort. Now if the Trump administration gave out free loans to US solar manufacturers who can develop higher efficiency panels and expand at a rapid rate, then I think a lot of Trump voters and non-Trump fans will be happy.

We're pretty lucky we live in an area that gets sun from all directions throughout the day. So higher efficiency panels would be nice to have.

Sorry for the tangent.

3. 0007776 Suspended

So are you saying that our fight against Nazis ultimately led to us being ruled by a Nazi?

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

5. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Not tangent at all.
    Gets to heart of matter, things change, what to tops today, will be bottom tomorrow.
    Apple is great example; top, bottom, top, almost bankrupt, now one of the most important companies in world, but for how long?

Look at IBM, Kodak, MCI, Sprint, GM, McDonnell Douglass, etc.

What made Jobs unique was he was really good at envisioning how new technology can better people lives and make those products. Conversely many CEO's could only see $$ and not see what really matters, maintains customer attention in changing times.

It is like an organization for more effective education says, schools where made for the 1900's, and are quite inadequate for today's needs.

#45 is not a Nazi, but he is delusional.

History plays nasty tricks, doesn't it.