STEM CELLS and human evolution?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iCantwait, Oct 8, 2008.

1. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

so with stem cell research going on if it is implemented what impact might stem cell technology have on the evolutionary process?

...i think we're screwed

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

And you think this… why?
    :confused:

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

4. iCantwait thread starter macrumors 65816

iCantwait

i think we have been doing alright so far, i think of you fell behind you stay behind

5. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

For starters you are going to have to explain what on earth stem cell therapies have to do with evolution.

7. iCantwait thread starter macrumors 65816

iCantwait

^^ok, IF darwinism is correct and creationism is incorrect *for arguments sake* (i dont want to force any belief on anyone)

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

So what do you think about medicine? Surgury?

With modern medicine I don't really think there is scope for human evolution.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Oh yes you do, go on, do it!

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You're still not making any sense. Why on earth would stem cell therapies change evolution any more than any other type of science?

11. iCantwait thread starter macrumors 65816

iCantwait

more so with the playing around with genetic diseases and hiding them, then thats pass on etc etc

12. iCantwait thread starter macrumors 65816

iCantwait

ok, come clean time, Its a question on an assignment due tomorrow, and no matter how many other peoples powerpoints i find through google i still cant find the answer.
    but still an interesting question?

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That's not necessarily stem cell therapy at all. That's all medicine again. And we don't 'hide' genetic diseases. We treat them to reduce/eliminate their impact. Just as one would treat an appendix.

And I still fail to see how this has anything to do with evolution.

14. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

HAHAHAH!

That's awesome.

15. iCantwait thread starter macrumors 65816

iCantwait

i agree, kind of. Our topic at the moment is evolution, and out assignment is about stem cells and is loosely tied to evolution by that question

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Stem cell therapy will have zero to no impact on evolution (at least no more than any societal advance). After millions of years of evolution if a genetic disease was detrimental to the viability or reproductive ability of that individual it would already purged from humanity.

17. iCantwait thread starter macrumors 65816

iCantwait

i didnt say anything about therapy - thats ok, make people have a comfortable life when they wouldn't have otherwise is great.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Well the only real benefit of stem cells is therapeutic.

Are you confusing stem cells with the process of cloning?

19. iCantwait thread starter macrumors 65816

iCantwait

no

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

So in what context are you proposing that stem cells would help people reproduce that otherwise wouldn't be able to, if they're not used therapeutically?

21. iCantwait thread starter macrumors 65816

iCantwait

meh, i dunno, its just a question i have on the assignment and because im lazy (or full of initiative) i passed it on to the friendly people on the MR forums as a hot topic in the world today.

something to do with natural selection?

22. djellison macrumors 68020

One could take the eugenic stance, and infer that medicine has caused a cesation of evolution as people with diseases, disabilities or congenital conditions that would preclude reproduction in 'the wild' are, in modern society, able to take the help that medicine can provide, reproduce, and pass on their genes.

However - there is no alteration to this course that is anything other than morally abhorant. We can not with-hold medical help - that's wrong - just wrong. We can't stop progressing in medicine, because to do so is to deny future generations the medical help of the future, which again, is wrong.

Stem cell research is simply another branch of medicine, trying to make ill people better, to cure disease, to help the disabled and make our lives better. It may find new paths, new cures, new medical abilities to achieve new cures for more diseases etc.

So, to that end, one could infer that yes, Stem Cell Research, like ALL medical research, and indeed like a modern society that helps the old, the young, the unwell and the unfit, it is slowing down evolution as it defeats the fight for survival that exists in the wild.

It is modern life that has brought pretty much to an end the actions of natural selection as Darwin found it. The fastest people don't run away from the tigers anymore. The strongest people don't kill the best food anymore. The brightest people don't come up with the new tool, weapon, shelter...... Indeed, one could argue that less intelligent people tend to have more offspring, and more intelligent people tend to have less offspring - so to some extent, we are turning evolution backwards by sustaining and promoting and supporting a gene-pool that is getting worse. But that, again, is eugenics, and there is no where to go with that argument. Many 'futurists' have suggested that we may end up with two species of human - the rich, intelligent, affluent, fit, attractive humans, and the 'sub' human, under nourished, unintelligent 'grunt' worker human.

But if you're a creationist, just say "Stem cell research is the work of Satan, it is evil" - and make sure you refuse antibiotics next time you have an infection of some new strain of bacteria....wouldn't want to admit to evolution being real, after all.

23. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

To be able to form an answer first you must understand the question. If you do not know what the question actually means how can you give a coherent answer or at least answer on the right topic. We aren't here to do your homework for you especially when you can't even be bothered to do some basic research into the matter or even a little background thinking.

24. iCantwait thread starter macrumors 65816

iCantwait

i really hope my teacher doesn't type what you just did in to google.....:D

25. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

As long as you are aware that most teachers are reasonably au fait with Google these days so you don't want verbatum quotes appearing off MacRumors…

Good luck. ;)

Edit: Ah I see you've realised the dangers…