Step by Step Instructions to Transfer Unlimited Account to New iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Swampthing, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

So I've seen here that you can transfer your old AT&T Unlimited plan from your old iPad to the new one, and apparently someone said earlier you have to change the IMEI numbers somewhere and change serial numbers etc. But I don't think anyone has actually detailed out the process that myself and many others will be going through tomorrow.

For anyone who has transferred their UNLIIMITED iPad Acct, can you list exactly how to do that? Obviously there's still a couple weeks on the old plan, but my understanding is that if you had unlimited 3G, you can convert it to unlimited 4G.

Any help?

2. Swampthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

4. Lumpy05 macrumors member

Is the website down? Getting an error message?

----------

Nevermind something wrong with my Chrome browser opened in IE just fine.:confused:

5. mooseknuckles macrumors member

6. Swampthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

Thanks.

After you do this, is it necessary to switch out SIMS or anything like that? What does it do to the service in the old iPad? Can I then sell the iPad without fear of someone else accessing the former account?

7. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

I don't know why everyone makes this so difficult. Really, all you gotta do is just log in to your data account from your new iPad and it should give you the option to transfer your plan over. At least that worked for me going from iPad OG to IPad 2.

----------

No need to swap the sims or do anything. Just wipe the iPad in the options and sell it after you've transferred your plan over. Of course, you'll get some paranoid people chime in with more extensive measures but really that's all you gotta do. I've sold many a iPhones and iPads and all my data is safe.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

From what I've learned online about the LTE iPad it uses a different microSIM than the iPad 2, so leave the sims alone. The sim on your old iPad will be deactivated. At that point remove it. Do not sell your iPad 2 w/ a sim. The new buyer can get a fresh one from ATT.

9. Swampthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

Um... does it make a difference that I'm not talking about an iPad 2? I'm upgrading from an iPad 1.

10. Bheleu, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

Bheleu macrumors 6502

Nope

Read this, there is more to it than that... ie. you probably neglected to turn the power off on both.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1129205

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No.

12. doofoo macrumors member

Has anyone done this yet on the 4G? I still have my 64G iPad 1 Unlimited 3G and picking up my 64G "New iPad" 4G at Best Buy in a few hours.

How does it report in the new iPad? What plan does it say?