Steve Bannon admits Trump White House using identity politics as a trap

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Gave an interview to the American Prospect. Says he wants Democrats to talk about racism every day. He also calls the alt-right a fringe played up too much by the media, even though it was his site, Breitbart, which published Milo Yiannopoulos An Establishment Conservative's Guide To The Alt-Right. And Bannon said Breitbart was a platform for the alt-right. Now he claims they’re a fringe just played up by the liberal media?

Oh and he also says there’s no military solution for North Korea which contradicts all of Trump’s bellicose rhetoric.

[​IMG]

I wonder if he gave this interview because he’s looking for an out and wants to be fired? There’s no way he didn’t know it was on the record.

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It does kinda read like he's decided to wear a Will Work For Food sandwich board in public, doesn't it.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Agreed. On the other hand - he has a decent ego and is probably trying to show how much he is/think he's in control. Or should be.

4. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

Well that's him off then. Hopefully Trump will give him one of his famous handshakes as a farewell.

5. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Seems like Trump's swamp is draining itself.

6. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

I guess we’ll find out if he’s bulletproof or not. He’s not an idiot like Mooch so there’s a method to his madness.

7. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

News flash: South Korea has known for a very long time that any military action in the Korean Peninsula begins with NK destroying Seoul.

It doesn't take a fool to surmise this.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

yeah but as author of the linked piece says, his even doing this interview doesn't make a lot of sense if he plans to be around the WH much longer. Assuming any of Trump & Co persist much longer. This part of the piece was interesting, bolds are mine:

Bannon explained that his strategy is to battle the trade doves inside the administration while building an outside coalition of trade hawks that includes left as well as right. Hence the phone call to me.

There are a couple of things that are startling about this premise. First, to the extent that most of the opponents of Bannon’s China trade strategy are other Trump administration officials, it’s not clear how reaching out to the left helps him. If anything, it gives his adversaries ammunition to characterize Bannon as unreliable or disloyal.

More puzzling is the fact that Bannon would phone a writer and editor of a progressive publication (the cover lines on whose first two issues after Trump’s election were “Resisting Trump” and “Containing Trump”) and assume that a possible convergence of views on China trade might somehow paper over the political and moral chasm on white nationalism.

[my note: in other words how would Bannon necessarily expect a slant towards him from this media outlet and this author? he wouldn't, so.. what's the point? ]

The question of whether the phone call was on or off the record never came up. This is also puzzling, since Steve Bannon is not exactly Bambi when it comes to dealing with the press. He’s probably the most media-savvy person in America.

Passing strange. Maybe General Kelly gave Bannon the boot and a few weeks to round up a job so he's out there doing on the record retaliation interviews and half-threatening State Department people he was unable to dismiss, dropping names of people he thought Trump should axe, etc. (although meanwhile Trump's sounding like he only vaguely remembers who Bannon is lol)

If he is on a vengeance mission then Bannon has lost the thread. Trump's not really running the White House any more anyway, probably. I mean it's not like the Don pays a lot of attention to anything not intimately connected to his own next ten minutes.

Kelly as gatekeeper probably means a lot of things to people like Bannon.

Not necessarily off topic: Anyone know why Mike Pence really cut short his South American trip? Not sure I buy the whole "meeting at Camp David over the weekend with National Security Team to discuss South Asia strategy." Man, Trump already stirred pots in northeast Asia this month, why not give the continent a rest.

9. chown33 macrumors 604

10. Zenithal macrumors 601

Might as well be a reach-around with those two bozos.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Exactly. This is nothing new at all.

12. niploteksi macrumors regular

13. bopajuice macrumors 65816

bopajuice

Kinda wondering... is there anyone on Trumps staff that's worthy of their position long term? He picks these people and then degrades them when they leave.

Is there precedent for the turnover rate of this Whitehouse staff compared to others?

14. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I think Kelly is keeping the ship afloat. But look at his face during Trump's news conference. He looks like he took a bite out of a poo sandwich.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The question could be whether Kristol's an idiot or has inside info. His tweet seems... confident.

16. niploteksi macrumors regular

I think he needs to get out without being seen as a quitter. Bannon believes in war in the region and I don't believe for a second he would care about the people in Seoul. Maybe he's trying to seem honest and wise?

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yes. As Watergate ground to a conclusion, Nixon's West Wing was hammered:

A bungled 1972 burglary at the Democratic National Committee's office in the Watergate complex exposed a White House apparatus of dirty tricks, law-breaking and cover-up. Two years later, President Richard M. Nixon, facing impeachment, resigned. President Gerald R. Ford pardoned him of any wrongdoing a month later. A total of 69 people were charged with crimes; 48 people and 20 corporations pleaded guilty.

When Criminal Charges Reach the White House

(the link may be paywalled, I was logged in when I looked for it)