Steve jobs answers questions in video(3G, unlocking, future iPhones)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hatcher146, Sep 18, 2007.

1. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I like the part about:

"you wouldn't want to have 3G and stand a chance of missing a call because your battery died."

Of course not, Steve.

We'd much rather be slowly surfing on EDGE and MISS THE CALL BECAUSE WE'RE NOT ON A 3G NETWORK THAT ALLOWS INTERRUPTIONS !!

Woof.

3. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

I like how he says these new 3G capable efficient chipsets will be available end of next year. I hope this post makes front news on Macrumors. Should give a clue to the roadmap of the iPhone.

4. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Or we are on Wifi and can have our cake and eat it too.

and how well would that 3G work in my area of Los Angeles (not small time USA, Los Angeles) according to ATT. Not so much.

I swear if apple shipped a 3g phone that lasted for 4 hours it would have complained to no end about and NOT have sold 1 million of them IMO.

5. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Sounds like Apple will be relocking the phone with the next update to the iPhone's firmware. :(

6. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

No worries, they'll find a workaround shortly after.

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

8. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

he didnt confirm a 3G iphone at macworld. he said "you know. late next year"

so dont count on seeing one in february 08 because many europeans will be livid.

9. pcorajr macrumors 6502

I do not understand what the problem is with no 3g on the phone. i have used the iphone and find it very quick on EDGE. They are taking the same stance Blackberry takes. Make the phone work efficiently by using the EDGE technology to its maximum. Yeah 3g is nice but at the end of the day i would rather have a phone that i can use all day and not worry about running out of battery.

Also there are other options out there beside the iphone that do offer 3g, and i bet you that one of the upcoming iphone mockups will have 3g. Its a world of options now day wait and see what technology has coming.

10. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Hacking the iPhone - Cat and Mouse Game

Steve's answer to the Hacking of the iPhone suprised me. I thought someone else from Apple said they would not go out of there way to block Hacks but Steve was saying that it is a Cat and Mouse Game that Apple will be playing. The Hackers break in and Apple will block them. To me this goes back to the AOL and Microsoft days when MS IM Client supported AIM Users until AOL Blocked them. This went on for about 6 months where MS would get around the block and AOL would create another until MS just gave up. Of course Hackers do this for mostly fun so maybe they will not just give up.

It was in the "(unlocking, hacking)" from the OP.

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

12. willxm macrumors member

When does he refers to "hacks does he mean the 3rd party apps or is he talking specifically about hacking the iphone to work on other networks?

13. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I think he is talking about things like UNLOCK and RINGTONES where he has agreements with other companies (ATT, O2 and Media Companies).

14. decadentdave macrumors 6502

That's the same mistake Apple made by not originally open-sourcing their software. I understand contracts with development partners but going with ATT in an exclusivity contract has really put a noose around sales. Until they dropped the price (because initial sales were slower than expected), I heard many complaints from people reticent to purchase an iphone because they didn't want to break contracts with their carrier and that ATT basically sucked. So at least for the next 2 years Apple will be engaged in a vicious Cat & Mouse game to counter hackers from jailbreaking and hacking into the phone to install 3rd party apps. They could sell millions more if they would only unlock it, even if it was not "officially" endorsed by their company policy, it would be a bigger selling point if customers were aware that there was a way to select their own carrier and services instead of the limited options restricted by Apple. I'm sure ATT and others are putting the pressure on them to thwart the hacks but Apple hasn't bowed to the whims of the RIAA or the MPAA yet on their pricing of itunes content so why should they care if unendorsed hacks are made when it would potentially help them sell more phones by word-of-mouth. I hope that when the contract with ATT is up for renewal that they will open it up or just drop them altogether. Probably won't happen but we can only hope.