Steve Jobs as Barack Obama's Chief Technology Officer?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aznkid25, Jan 4, 2009.

1. aznkid25 macrumors 6502

http://macsoda.com/2009/01/03/why-steve-really-isnt-giving-the-keynote/
    http://9to5mac.com/Steve-Jobs-CTO
    Maybe Steve Jobs bailing on Macworld (and also on Apple) is somehow related to his appointment as Obama's Chief Technology Officer. Just for fun, let's consider the connections. Obama is an Apple fan, we know he and his team use Macs. And yes he does jog with an iPod (who doesn't?). Apple, as did most of Silicon valley, largely supported Obama's presidency. And there was the Obama iPhone App. Obama has also been endorsed by Apple board member Al Gore, who also happens to be a good friend of Steve Jobs.
    Barack Obama needs someone who is ahead of the times, a visionary who could guide our technological decisions in the best way possible. Steve Jobs has proved time and time again that he knows what technology should be like, and that his vision of the future is essentially always correct when it comes to this field. He would be perfect for the position, because frankly, no one is as much of a genius as he is in this regard.

Obama has announced every other member of his cabinet except for Chief Technology Advisor. Is this because he hasn’t made up his mind yet? I doubt it. He must have been thinking about this for a long time, considering it was his idea to create this position. A more likely scenario is that his choice, Steve Jobs, doesn’t want him to announce it. I can just picture Steve telling Obama that the only way he will take the job is if he can announce it at Macworld himself. This would explain why the announcement hasn’t been made, and all the others have been. Steve also is a strong democrat, and is really good friends with Al Gore. Perhaps Al Gore, Steve, and Obama himself will all show up at MacWorld to make this announcement, whether it be in person or via iChat. Talk about a one more thing!

Is this rampant speculation? Of course. Is it likely to happen? Probably not. But it definitely is a possibility.

2. SMDrew macrumors member

Counterpoint: Obama has surrounded himself with people who do not always share his viewpoint, and thus appointing Steve Jobs does not fit into this trend.

I'd guess we're more likely see someone from Redmond in those shoes.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Bad idea. SJ has no place in the government IMHO.

4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

+1
    Agree! Bleeding heart liberal! :p hahahaha JK!!

I nominate Jon Ive or Stephen Hawking. Who doesn't like to control computers with their eyes??

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well I mean Hilary is there, and they are similar(not the same, but close)

6. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

I think the concern would be that having people like Jobs, Gates, Dell etc in this position would influence policy towards their own company, not necessarily deliberately but put them in the position where they have to make a decision that could hurt the company they have run for some time. Also need to avoid issues where making a decision could influence any stock holdings they have.

Some of the upper management folks from these companies could well be good candidates but the most important thing is having someone viewed as independent & respected.

7. winterspan macrumors 65816

Chief Technology Officer of the country? Steve jobs may have a lot of experience creating personal computers and sexy consumer electronics, but the role of CTO IMO should be held by someone with an extensive scientific, engineering, and/or technical background in addition to long experience with Information technology on a large scale.

Think of what this person's responsibilities will be

- Overseeing the modernization of America's broadband infrastructure
    - Overseeing the modernization of government I.T. infrastructure, particularly in the enormous healthcare system.
    - Being directly involved with any "green energy" infrastructure initiatives.
    - ?

8. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Hm, I agree. It doesn't make much sense in my opinion to have someone from the private sector go into this role. Just doesn't seem right. (I can see this thread going to the political forum soon)

9. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Their viewpoints were more or less similar except in the foreign policy area...and guess who's going to be the instrument of foreign policy? Obama's done a pretty good job of diversifying.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I see Jobs as a good fit for any government role. He does so well at building consensus. :D

Not sure cabinet meetings are ready for terms like frigtard and asshat being used. :D

11. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

I think it's more likely that Bill Gates will go into politics. Maybe even for presidency some day. It looks like his current shift it career can be leading toward that end.

12. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I don't see Gates as going into politics. He's going to be a rich "behind the scenes" person like Warren Buffett is when it comes to politics.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

A consensus with Steve means you agree with him. :D

14. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Like this?
    [​IMG]

:D

I would give him credit for being a marketing genius who has a knack for appealing to peoples' emotions "entertainment-wise". The man is one of the most charismatic in the industry of geeks. But I wouldn't call him world-leader material myself.