Steve Jobs is a liar, Flash works fine on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boonlar, Jul 5, 2010.

1. boonlar macrumors 6502

2. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

The battery drain is one of the major reasons cited for not utilizing flash. No one is going to JB to have flash. It's such a nice experience without it.

3. xmtgx macrumors regular

It wont be any better or any worse then the android version though, which isnt very good, but i agree we should have the option of it, Though I'll never use it.

4. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

How exactly does it magically drain the battery? You think it will lower your battery life to 30 minutes or something? I doubt it will drain the battery any more than a video or game will. Drink enough apple kool aid?

5. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

What are you missing by not having Flash?

All of the website I go to either have an iPhone-friendly version or the only flash on the site is ads, which I don't care about.

What are you hoping to do in Flash that you can't already do on the iPhone?

Hulu probably wouldn't work anyway, because they block just about every device except a PC, and I doubt most games would perform well at all.

6. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Do you have a mac? If so, ever go to a heavy flash site? The fan sounds like its going to take off because the processor has to work extra hard just to make it work. Just imagine your smaller processor in the iphone trying to do that?

Flash is terrible, and it will die off sooner or later, HTML4 is the future.

People laughed at apple when they stopped putting floppy discs in their computers, but you never see those around anymore do you?

7. chris.robison macrumors regular

Flash video is decoded in software instead of hardware. Doing it this way uses way too many resources and is very processor intensive.

Actual video is processed straight on the hardware. This is done on a low level and can be done much more quickly and efficiently, thus reducing the impact on the battery and the processor.

+1 for no Flash.

Flash can DIAF.

8. ignus graius macrumors regular

Video is decoded through hardware by the GPU. Flash video would be decoded with software, providing much more of a battery drain.

You might have a point with games, though.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If you don't know what you're talking about, why start a rant thread to make yourself look like a fool?:confused:

10. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

Its a horrible hog of resources. For every system.
    Thus decreasing battery life unnecessarily.

HTML5

11. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

No I only use PC's and flash runs great on them especially 10.1 with GPU video decoding. Flash probably sucks on macs because the OS is more closed and I bet the developers are limited in what APIs they can use. I haven't had Flash crash my any of my PCs since the early 2000s.

Flash has been available for mobile devices for at least 3 years now. I used to use a nokia n810 tablet with flash on it and it had a crappy 600mhz ARM11 processor. That was 3 years ago and it ran acceptably. The new iphone has a 1ghz cpu so it should run great like in the video

Flash won't be going anywhere any time soon. Just because it sucks on macs doesn't mean anything when macs are 10% of the market. PC users are fine with flash and it is here to stay imo.

Flash 10.1 has hardware decoding

12. Reluctant Adept macrumors member

Let's see. You start the thread by insulting someone who is arguably the most successful contemporary CEO around, and follow up by insulting anyone who dares to disagree with your opinion. I wonder how useful this thread will be?

Playing CPU and GPU intensive games does cut your battery life dramatically and there's nothing "magical" about it. They're designed to get the most from the hardware. Presumably users who have time to spend 5 hours playing a game on a given day are in a different category from those who rely on getting 7-8 hours of use during a work day. If every web page I visit can arbitrarily decide to include Flash and cut my battery life by 30% then that's a very real problem. If it crashes Safari a few times a day then that's an even worse experience.

Adobe hasn't shown the kind of attention to efficiency and reliability on OS X that would lend anyone at Apple a sense of confidence about their product belonging on a mobile device. Flash routinely hogged CPU and ran my laptop hot when I was casually browsing until I finally disabled it. Being able to run a demo isn't the issue - adding enough value to the user experience to be worth the tradeoffs is. In Apple's view and my own it doesn't meet that bar.

13. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

14. DustyLBottoms macrumors regular

Flash sucks on Mac because Adobe has yet to ship a version of Flash that DOESN'T suck on Mac. (Circular I know.) Not because the OS is more "closed" than windows.

Adobe has also yet to ship a 64bit version for Windows. Which is the ONLY reason I'm even using 32bit IE at all. (Some work applications require IE, otherwise I'd be Chrome all the way).

Also, please remember that in the real world, processor frequencies rarely matter unless you're comparing the same model. X processor by Intel isn't any better than Y processor by Apple just because of a higher frequency. There's a whole lot more going on under the hood.

15. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Not on the iPhone and just to a very limited selections for Mac's.

I to will rejoice the day Flash dies.

16. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Flash sucks ass and i hope they never add it. If they do, i'll do like i do on my Mac - find a way to block it.

17. Reluctant Adept macrumors member

PCs are designed to run a lot of heavyweight applications. A high-end PC is easily 50 times faster than a phone, while even a moderate laptop is at least 20 times faster. Battery is correspondingly more of an issue on the smaller devices.

Flash sucks on Macs because Adobe didn't care about the user experience. There are plenty of opportunities they haven't taken advantage of because they were dismissive about the limited market share and just wanted to make sure Flash was available, not worrying about whether it ran really well.

So why are modern browsers touting Flash crash protection as a major feature? Oh, and that's on a browser that was released two weeks ago, not ten years ago.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Taking videos "works fine" on the original iPhone and 3G, but obviously not good enough for Apple. It doesn't make them liars.

19. Skyhigh223 macrumors regular

I can honestly say I've not once missed having flash on my iPod. Infact, a lot of Ads use flash, and they just show up as blue Lego-bricks in Safari, which is EPIC.

So IMHO, the lack of flash is actually a good thing. :p Ive nothing against it, and I can't say I've ever had performance problems with it on any desktop computer, nor any browser crashes because of it, but I have never missed it on my device. Ever. I doubt I'd even miss it on my Mac, either, because I can't actually think of anything I use flash for.

20. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

I'm suprised this didn't happen sooner to be honest.
    Still most likely won't use it as there hasn't ever been a time when I was desperate for flash.
    EDIT: I'm actually suprised at how unanimus tis opinion is. Only OP seems to want flash.

21. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Sorry, yes HTML5, typo, at least someone is paying attention :)

Its also a hog on PCs as well, did you ever look at the resources when flash is being used even on a pc?

And flash dying off eventually has nothing to do with the mac only being 10% of the market, look at the percent of the market the iphone has, not to mention the ipad. Sites are going to switch to HTML5 because they want those people to be able to view their sites, not to mention HTML5 is much easier to use than flash.

A lot of people that dont know what they are doing use flash, and that is why it crashes so many browsers.

HMTL5 is going to overtake Flash within the next few years.
    Youtube is already in beta for html5 and it runs much better than the flash version.

22. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I could care less about flash and it's not needed on the iPhone. With the hulu app for the iPhone that's one less thing flash is needed for. Also CBS is now supporting HMTL 5 on it's website.

So at this point all the outcries about not being able to access their favorite content from Flash sites is becoming rather moot.

23. aperry macrumors 6502a

Obviously the correct solution here is a switch in Settings so those of us who want to view a site that requires Flash player can do so. Anyone who argues against this is just a fanboy.

Not all companies can afford to rewrite their sites into HTML5 this year and many of us would like the full web in the meantime. We're big boys, we can manage our batteries just fine.

24. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

So because i disagree with you i'm a fanboy? :rolleyes: Thanks i didn't realize that society had progressed to the point of being the collective borg and that anyone who had an opinion that differed from yours is reduced to being called names :D

Nice to know that the only person who is right is someone who thinks the way you do. And if the iPhone did have flash i can see the Flash Fan boys blaming apple for problems with battery life instead of the Software even if there was a way to toggle it on/off.

25. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Yeah so everyone can cry why is their battery dying so fast, or why their phone keeps crashing on sites that just have flash ads but the site isnt in flash.

Especially if someones parent or grandparent who is not tech savvy does not know about that kind of thing is always wondering why their battery is dying after an hour or two of viewing flash sites.

They will think its broken. Its not you Apple worries about not being able to manage their batteries, its the mom and dads who dont know the first thing about it. Have you ever done tech support before or tried to explain something technical to one of your parents or even grandparents?

Also, aren't their virus's tied to flash as well?