Steve Jobs must be on hot seat to rush iphone to Verizon with this Droid growth

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by foxnews1, Nov 1, 2010.

1. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

Droid grows from 3% to 44 % within a year in the US. Jobs must be under alot of pressure to offer iphone on Verizon. it is like one of his hand got tied up when iphone is tied down to only ATT. millions of users from verizon, sprint, tmobile are getting Droid without any competition from iphone. the best phone needs to be on the best network to dominate. ATT is not the best network. 5-year contact with ATT might have a short-term financial benefit but will be a really bad long-term strategy for apple.

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Nope.. Apple still has a very healthy share of the market and they're expanding in the international market. Last I checked, Verizon didn't seem to want or need the iPhone. I can't see Steve Jobs asking them to sell the iPhone. I'm floored your source is CNN, no making fun :(

Edit: They don't had a healthy share, they have a pretty damn impressive share considering they've only made for models of their phone so far.

3. foxnews1 thread starter macrumors 6502

it is easy for you to say that. but if you are a business owner and see your competitor with growth rate like that, you won't be able to sleep at night.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah Jobs is under alot of pressure not knowing what to do with his billions:)

5. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Like I said, they're expanding their role in international markets. China seems to be a big priority, not sure about India. It's not like they're losing market share, they're all eating away at Nokia/RIM/Sony-Ericksons.

6. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Rush.......did you say RUSH?

The iPhone has been rushing to Verizon since 2007.

7. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Verizon is a different Network. CDMA.

That iPhone will only sell to Verizon people in the USA. Nobody else would care.

Currently the iPhone can be used in any network all around the world.

I don't see the big deal with a Verizon iPhone other than people in the USA seem to hate AT&T. For the rest of the world, it wouldn't make 1 bit of difference and we would probably never see it.

It wouldn't work in most networks.

OH and BTW, they are almost all sold out here in Thailand where you have to buy it for $700 bucks. That's in a country where only a small portion of the population can afford this phone.

The rest of them can go for a cheapo Android.

8. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, you let Steve worry about his billions. In the meantime, if you want to be on Verizon that badly, then get a Droid. After all, I hear from a "reliable" source that Droid is doing very well. ;)

10. Geckotek, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

A CDMA iPhone would work in many other coutries around the world including China and India. Verizon and Sprint are not the only CDMA carriers.

11. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I'm guessing maybe he means that they can't be used with other carriers compared to an unlocked iPhone. That's a HUGE reason I can't use Verizon. I own a few phones so I don't get bored too quickly. Having unlock cells that I can use by just changing my SIM are very convenient.

12. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Wasnt it reported that the iPhone isnt well thought of there? Or was that Japan? Its one of those. I recall reading a article here that said the iPhone in whichever country was considered 2nd rate.

In anycase, so what if iPhone has competition. It surely cant matter to people here that other phones are just as good or even better does it? Just get what YOU like and it wont matter what Android is doing. The Windows 7 phone is now out too and doing pretty well.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

That's not a huge reason, since you can swap Verizon phones just by dialing a special number on the desired device and activating it by entering your phone # and PIN. No need to open up the back and/or remove a SIM, or even have the previous phone with you.

14. spikefood macrumors regular

Fragmentation is the biggest concern. It's easy to say that androids os is growing because it is on so many devices. However you run into the problem of fragmentation of the os. So many phones with different features and different os versions creates a huge problem for developers. Ultimately a developer wants to hit as much of the market as possible. With the iPhone you have an update phone and a standard os for people to update to. Half of the phone is the marketplace it sits on.

15. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Where do you live?

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

It's Japan. The iPhone sold out in China.

17. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

How will people use their CDMA iphone when they travel? Yes, there are other CDMA carriers around the world but it's not as convenient as just swapping SIM card.

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Take a look at my profile. It's listed under my name.

I've traveled with my CDMA phone to both China and Korea. Feel free to do some research about CDMA around the world here:

http://www.cdg.org/

I just used the local CDMA carrier while roaming. The times I wanted to use it a lot and worried about the roaming charges, I just rented a phone.

19. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

That'd be easy if the phones were all from the same carrier. I have a European Palm Pre Plus, Nexus One and i4.

20. ajarnfalang, Nov 1, 2010

ajarnfalang macrumors regular

I am an American and I live in Thailand. And guess what? We have the same CDMA provider India does. They are called HUTCH.

You know how many people have HUTCH here? about 1 guy and a buffalo. You may as well have a tin can with a string attached.

In the rest of the world, they sell you the phone and the phone is yours to put any SIM you want to and they are unlocked. There are no contracts and no credit checks and none of that ********.

My iPhone 4 has a TrueMove SIM card in it. The 3 largest providers here are AIS, TRUE and DTAC. If I get sick of TRUE for some reason, I go in there, I say, "Cancel my SIM please", then walk into DTAC and stick the DTAC SIM in there. Done.

Nobody uses CDMA out here.

http://www.dazeinfo.com/2010/10/12/apple-can-launch-the-cdma-version-of-iphone-in-india-soon-report/

I've been here almost 7 years and have never seen anybody carrying around a HUTCH phone.

Dude. We are not talking about some Texan being able to roam with his CDMA phone when he gets to go outside the USA. I guess Verizon has roaming partners all around the World.

We are talking about Apple being able to really make revenue with the people that live in other countries around the world with a CDMA phone vs a GSM one.

and from someone that live OUTSIDE of the USA everyday with real local people I have to tell you that it'll make little or no impact. People use GSM phones for the most part. and here in Thailand, they ONLY use GSM, Hutch shops are a joke for locals. Unless we get a Texan wanting to roam in Bangkok...

But no you can't, because Hutch won't let you roam. So, you'll end up with a GSM phone.

Actually, here in Thailand you couldn't even buy a CDMA phone unless you walk into a Hutch shop. They have 3 Samsung handsets to choose from

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Geckotek, Nov 1, 2010

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Thats nice, there are actually 5 CDMA carriers in India with approximately 134 Million CDMA subscribers growing at a rate of 18 Million per month.

China has approximately 83 Million CDMA subscribers.

While both of these numbers are smaller than their GSM counterparts, they are plent for Apple to make a hefty profit.

Nice post from 2006

Actually, what we are talking about is how you ignorantly said CDMA didn't exist outside the US.
    Yes, and as I mentioned above, Apple will have no issues making profits making a CDMA iPhone.

Stop right there and realize that your point of view is very narrow and just looking at SE Asia.

What kind of impact are you looking for? Apple just wants sales and there are plenty CDMA users to sell to. Maybe not in your little area of SE Asia, but 550 Millioin CDMA users around the world is plenty for Apple to sell to.

And what's with the repeated "Texan" tag. You dislike Texas? You assume I'm "Texan" because I currently live in Dallas? You also assume I haven't traveled because I live in Dallas? SERIOUSLY? Sorry you feel that way.

22. ajarnfalang, Nov 1, 2010

ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Again, you don't live out here, so you only know what you read on the net.

If that's how you read it.

OK.

That guy is saying that about China and India because there aer a ton of articles on the net talking about it.

He is not talking about things he knows. Just crap he reads on the net. Like the world only has 3 countries.

23. spikefood macrumors regular

Just read it how I see it.

24. Geckotek, Nov 1, 2010

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I've already told you that I've used my CDMA phone both China and S. Korea. I failed to mention Uganda and Guatemala. Yeah, I never leave Texas. :rolleyes:

25. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

While it may be true that a CDMA iPhone may bring additional sales in some countries, people out here like to buy their phones independently of a Network.

That's what the Texan guy doesn't get. Because he is not out here.