Steve Jobs Named 'Financial Times' Person of the Year

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Prominent British international business newspaper Financial Times today announced that it has selected Apple CEO Steve Jobs as its "Person of the Year" for 2010, marking yet another accolade for the company and its leader that have seen remarkable success over the last decade.
A rebuttal of F. Scott Fitzgerald's much-quoted aphorism that there are no second acts in American life does not come more decisively than this. When Steven Paul Jobs first hit the headlines, he was younger even than Mark Zuckerberg is now. Long before it was cool to be a nerd, his formative role in popularising the personal computer, and Apple's initial public offering on Wall Street - which came when Mr Jobs was still only 25 - made him the tech industry's first rock star.

Now, three decades on, he has secured his place in the foremost ranks of the West Coast tech titans who have done so much to shape the world around the turn of the millennium
As with many profiles of Jobs, the article focuses on Jobs' salesmanship and attention to detail, aspects of his personality that can drive the company to achieve remarkable design standards but also result in him being viewed as a "stern taskmaster" obsessing over the every aspect of Apple's products.
The iPad is the culmination of an approach that he has seemingly been perfecting for his entire career. Those who have laboured under him describe him as a stern taskmaster who understands the art of the possible, rather than a long-range visionary. That means pushing relentlessly forward rather than milking old successes – even ones as significant as the iPod.
Earlier this month, Jobs was named Marketwatch's CEO of the Decade, mirroring a similar honor bestowed on him by Fortune in late 2009.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Named 'Financial Times' Person of the Year

Leoff

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2004
That picture, with the dark Apple logo in back, makes him look like a vampire.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Here's to the Steve-o and all he has done to move the industry forward kicking and screaming all the way. I shudder to think how backward it would be today if not for his energy.

And here's to all the over-weight neck-beards still living in their parent's basements who frequent this board and are so much wiser than Jobs and willing to say so on this forum.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; GT-P1000 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

blacktape242 said:
Popeye206 said:
LOL! I kind of thought he looked like a pissed off elf! LOL!
He dose look a little evil....

like Dr. Evil's Brother "Steve" hahaha :D
Dr Stevil? :p

On topic:
Another well deserved accolade.

macrumorsmo

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2010
Wrong person.

I am as much of a fan of Apple and Steve as any other here, but I got to be honest and say he does not deserve this. I would rather have seen Assange be the Times person of the year. I think Assange had more of an international impact then Steve. This year anyway. On another note, man of the decade, probably Steve.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
:apple: is now a religion. :rolleyes: This is coming from someone who has been using the platform for over 18 years. ;)

Nice change to see in the industry and the consumer market, at least we are not seeing rumors of :apple: going out of business or being bought out in the next X number of years. I am pleased. :)

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I am as much of a fan of Apple and Steve as any other here, but I got to be honest and say he does not deserve this. I would rather have seen Assange be the Times person of the year. I think Assange had more of an international impact then Steve. This year anyway. On another note, man of the decade, probably Steve.
Steve should actually receive Financial Times "Person of the Decade." You are right. :)

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
LOL

I'm just picturing all the frothing at the mouth going on right now from the apple anti-fanboys.

You know they will be wiping spittle from their screens after they post.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009

The Financial Times has a business/economic slant to who they pick as the person of the year. eg, Lloyd Blankfein (Goldman Sachs) was last year's pick.

P.

cal6n

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Here's to the Steve-o and all he has done to move the industry forward kicking and screaming all the way. I shudder to think how backward it would be today if not for his energy.

And here's to all the over-weight neck-beards still living in their parent's basements who frequent this board and are so much wiser than Jobs and willing to say so on this forum.
Absolutely!

I'll drink to both of those...

Cheers!

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
You gotta be joking - what the hell impact did Assange have? A short lived tempest in a teapot - junior high school girls gossiping at best. He is quickly being relegated to the irrelevant bin of news / history.

Steve - OTOH....

halhiker

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2006
Lead by example

If Steve Jobs is the man of the year, decade, millennium, why don't more CEOs follow his example and get paid $1 per year?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.