Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

151219-13_inch_mbp_graphics.png

Earlier today, Apple launched updated MacBook Pro models, moving its 15" and 17" models to Intel Core i5 and i7 processors utilizing integrated Intel graphics paired with NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M discrete graphics cards. The new 13" MacBook Pro, however, continues to utilize Intel Core 2 Duo processors with a custom NVIDIA GeForce 320 integrated graphics solution. Some observers have questioned why Apple did not make a more substantial upgrade to the processors used in the 13" models.

One interested party even went so far as to send an email to Apple CEO Steve Jobs about the decision, and shared Jobs' response with us. According to Jobs, Apple chose to focus on the graphics performance and combine it with outstanding battery life instead of opting for the alternative of merely a small increase in CPU speed.
We chose killer graphics plus 10 hour battery life over a very small CPU speed increase. Users will see far more performance boost from the speedy graphics.
Early benchmarks show significantly improved performance for the Core i7-based MacBook Pro, and it will be interesting to see how the new 13" models compare to their predecessors in various tasks.

Article Link: Steve Jobs on 13-Inch MacBook Pro's Use of Intel Core 2 Duo Processors

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
That was a pretty pleasant response from Steve. Nicer than I would have expected based on his recent email replies. :p

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Jobs really has been sending out a lot of email replies lately... must be the iPad, it really does make emailing more convenient!

Smith2542

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2010
god this pisses me off. I want a mac badly but i don't want to pay 1800 minimum for a core i5.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Apple always is right.

This may be a bit tongue and cheek by you, but truthfully Apple vets most of their big decisions more than any company I have seen.

I have a high level of confidence in them when they make a particular trade-off that they have very legitimate reasons for doing it.

Does it mean everyone will always agree with them? Of course not, but it always cracks me up when people knee-jerk fly off the handle like they did in the earlier thread decrying the lack of higher cpus in the 13" mbp.

Apple has proven time and time again that they have a large assortment and goals for their devices and their have various priorities that come before anything else and they do not design for the spec sheet buyer but for real world performance.

Beyond all that I can't figure out why anyone would want a 13" laptop in the first place. It is like the worst size possible.

JohnWyatt

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
is the i3 that much of a big difference then the c2d 2.6ghz? I think i may be missing something because im not a huge expert on the the processors. :confused:

Im just not sure why a lot of people keep complaing about there not being an i3

JohnWyatt

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
Im happy I didnt wait
Looking at your specs im glad you didnt either, you have a pretty nice setup. you didnt miss out on much. :)

I mean i like the update but im kinda shocked on how its not huge like people predicted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.