Steve Jobs Payment

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I wonder if that kind of bonus is carried down the ranks on a scale of 1 - 1000, I think I want a job working for apple as an office goffer :D

Sure, making coffee and photocopying stuff would bore me to tears but it would all be worth it at the end of the year.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
that's an obscene amount of money.....I'd like to see him go for a couple of years with out pay and without a bonus (he could easily swing it) to show his support for his company. Getting away with 43 million as a 'bonus' makes a farce of not having a paycheck.

D

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
If it is a "bonus" is it taxed at a higher or lower rate than a "salary"? Is this some kind of voodoo? I thought it was somewhat valiant when Steve-O came back to no salary (but a nice chunk of Apple stock) or $1 dollar a year.

Just would hate for this to screw Apple as a company.

Any insite TaxMan?

-me

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Looks like another very misleading survey. They are probably counting the dollar amount for fiscal 2001 since 2002 isn't over yet. Guess what Steve got in 2000 that he didn't officially get till 2001 that's worth 43 million. That Gulfstream V Jet. If you spread out that over his entire stay over at Apple, it doesn't come out to anywhere as much.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Originally posted by dukestreet
that's an obscene amount of money.....I'd like to see him go for a couple of years with out pay and without a bonus (he could easily swing it) to show his support for his company. Getting away with 43 million as a 'bonus' makes a farce of not having a paycheck.

D
He did. He just got 43 million in the form of a jet for saving apple and going for years without pay or bonuses exactly as you said.

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
That is a disgrace.....a 43 million dollar bonus, give me a break. I bust my a$$ for 50k a year, and there are people no better then I am, getting 40 million dollar bonuses. Until this type of stuff ends the world will never change. Teachers make 30k a year, while stupid baseball players make 100 million....... it's all crap.:mad:

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
let's watch the marxist rhetoric--you're bourgeois; only the working class is allowed to bitch like that!

society will always have problems. i would be quicker to whine about how there are so many people who work just as hard as you and stay way under the poverty line instead of whine about how there is someone way out there above you doing nothing for x million dollars a year. trust me, therre are a lot more people under the poverty line than as well paid as bill or steve.

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
while i agree that teachers get the shaft and baseball morons make 100mil, and this is just a reflection on the way our society MISvalues many things. but really, if the 43mil steve got was just a jet i dont think its bad...he travels alot, and tons of other execs get jets AND paid huge salaries. course, i live about a mile from where the Enron execs lived...so i cant hate on steve, its all still focused at them and ken lays wife's store! ;)

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by Shadowfax
let's watch the marxist rhetoric--you're bourgeois; only the working class is allowed to bitch like that!

society will always have problems. i would be quicker to whine about how there are so many people who work just as hard as you and stay way under the poverty line instead of whine about how there is someone way out there above you doing nothing for x million dollars a year. trust me, therre are a lot more people under the poverty line than as well paid as bill or steve.

Dude I'm a registered Republican, but I can call a spade a spade.:rolleyes:

mozez

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2001
all in all, steve is great at what he does, i mean, he takes risks that most others are to afraid to do, like changing the os platform completely by going to unix, that was a pretty big risk if you ask me, give him a jet, i'd say that was worth it, only bad side is can apple really afford it?

superfula

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by 3777
That is a disgrace.....a 43 million dollar bonus, give me a break. I bust my a$$ for 50k a year, and there are people no better then I am, getting 40 million dollar bonuses. Until this type of stuff ends the world will never change. Teachers make 30k a year, while stupid baseball players make 100 million....... it's all crap.:mad:
No baseball player makes 100 million per year. Until you realize that how much people make doesn't make much difference, you'll always be a fanatical republican who doesn't know much about sports.

RowdyFROG

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2002
Fremantle AUS, where else?
Hmmm...I think since steve is such a great guy, or so many of you say, that he should use his money to provide 840,000 students a free .Mac account.

But I guess that would only leave him a miniscule 1.5 million to feed, clothe and shelter his familyand himself. Might have to change to a cheaper brand of caviar.

Excuse my cynical nature, but 43+ mill is disgusting.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by RowdyFROG
Might have to change to a cheaper brand of caviar.
As far as I know Steve is a vegetarian; may even be vegan. So the correct putdown would be "Might have to change to a cheaper brand of tofudogs."

But he could be a fish-eating vegetarian, in which case he may very well consume obcene amounts of Beluga.

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
first of all, regardless of how much a pro athlete actually makes a year, they are over paid for the benefits they bestow upon society. MD's get out of school 100's of thousands of dollars in debt and it takes them a long time to pay it off and they save lifes daily. What exactly makes a man who can hit a ball with a stick deserve millions a year (and the right to bitch when they want more)?

ALSO 3777 i'm not sure where you get off thinking people making more money than you are no better than you. im sure they dont think they are, they just make more money. Do you think people who make 20k a year are worse than you? not sure i saw the point of that portion of your rant...

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
People get paid what companies think they're worth.

I thought the Republicans were the ones who thought people should get paid differently commensurate with their abilities. The Democrats were the ones who thought everyone should get paid the same... after all, the Democrats have one idea and one idea only: Raise taxes. The Republicans don't have an idea.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Originally posted by mozez
all in all, steve is great at what he does, i mean, he takes risks that most others are to afraid to do, like changing the os platform completely by going to unix, that was a pretty big risk if you ask me, give him a jet, i'd say that was worth it, only bad side is can apple really afford it?
Apple has about $11 in cash or equivalents per share, which is well over 4 billion dollars. That is in cash or other things with high liquidity so they are not hurting for money. It is an obscene amount, and steve has a whole lot of money anyway without the bonus. Also this isnt really an accurate account of the bonus, it is from Redmond, Wa. Steve got his bonus more than a year ago in the form of the gulfstream and lots of options (i dont think he has exercised them yet, or at least not alot of them). While he doesnt need it, he does deserve it (although it is excessive) for turning apple around and since he only is paid $1 per year. If steve had not returned, apple would be on the verge of death or dead right now, and obviously the board and the large stockholders seem to think his work is worth 43.5 mil.

Rocketman

macrumors 603

D
No dough, no go. He is in for a penny, in for a poind. Not only does he make no salary and receive all of his proceeds by bonus, but he also has stock options tied to STOCKHOLDER value.

Rocketman.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Originally posted by Chisholm
If it is a "bonus" is it taxed at a higher or lower rate than a "salary"? Is this some kind of voodoo? I thought it was somewhat valiant when Steve-O came back to no salary (but a nice chunk of Apple stock) or $1 dollar a year.

Any insite TaxMan?

-me
It can be put into a deferred comp plan and taxed as withdrawn. But all spent money is taxed. At regular income rate I believe. But he also has deductions like you can't believe with group travel expenses and such.

exbox

macrumors member

D
so, pretty much, you want a awesome ceo to work for free? I dont think that you are ever going to find someone to work for free. Steve deserves this money, he has worked for it.

mmoore00

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2001
Northfield, MN
Originally posted by Chisholm

Any insite TaxMan?

-me
I remember Steve only holding on to one share of apple stock... and I remember reading that somewhere in Apple's financial records when I was researching Larry Ellison's attendance at board meetings. Steve makes his money at Pixar from stock holdings - not at apple (besides this bonus, I guess).