Steve Jobs response to my shattered iPhone email.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PSURLZ, Jun 26, 2010.

1. PSURLZ macrumors newbie

I originally posted about my shattered iPhone here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10344361&postcount=22

I sent an email off to Steve Jobs that was basically verbatim that post:

I'll give it to him. I got pretty quick response. (3 hours). But you can see the screenshot below (to confirm authenticity) for his response.

[​IMG]

His response made me laugh but also kind of aggravated me a bit. I guess I'm just disappointed by the fact that it seemed that other than replacing my phone for the replacement cost ($199) which I again (as stated above) appreciate, there was nothing else really offered.

Not to mention the Apple Store was still out of stock of bumpers when I went in to replace my phone today.

Sorry for the large image size, didn't want the text to be distorted on the email screenshot.

2. protox macrumors regular

LOL, you shouldn't of mentioned Gizmodo and you might of had a better chance. :D

3. PSURLZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha one of my friends mentioned that. I didn't even think of it until after the fact. But I mean, it shows that phones were replaced.

4. Jr1985 macrumors 6502

Please learn to accept responsibility for your stupid actions. Typically, if you drop something made of glass it is going to break. Now please excuse me while I go sue McDonalds for making me fat...

5. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

It sucks but you damaged the phone. Why would Apple be in any way responsible?

6. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

7. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

OMG!!! You mentioned gizmodo, a blog site. Game over. :eek:

8. irich25 macrumors regular

for not providing iAirbags haha j/k

9. PSURLZ thread starter macrumors newbie

That is not the route I am going with at all. I would agree with you if I actually dropped it.

It was sitting on my kitchen counter and literally (I'm assuming as I wasn't looking at the phone when it fell) slid off the counter and smashed onto the floor.

Nobody else was near the phone when it happened.

I can't remember if it was slanted sitting on something else or not.

And although it seems like I'm not taking responsibility for my actions, my real complaint is that there is no real help in this situation.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Wait. You put your phone in an insecure place, it drops, shatters, and you are disappointed that Apple won't give you a freebie for your irresponsibility? Freaking A. Un-be-lievable.

11. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

so you're saying it magically levitated off the countertop? I thought only iPads were magical enough to do that :rolleyes:

12. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Well I'm no forensic scientist but that sure doesn't look like a break pattern from a counter top fall, which would usually apprear as one major break with the cracks moving outward from there.

In that picture one can almost make out what would appear to be 4 points of breakage, almost like it was squeezed till the screen shattered..

You sure your "friend" only witnessed it fall and didnt try to see how strong the glass was?

13. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

To be honest, the $199 replacement is pretty reasonable considering the unsubsidized cost. Blows big time, but I'd just suck it up if I were you.

And when you get your new one, duct tape it to your hand.

14. ripkord macrumors 6502

15. fru macrumors member

To be honest, replies like that come across, regardless of the intention, as arrogant and rude. If he hasn't got time to expand a little more on a one word answer then he should just not reply, or employ a secretary to reply on his behalf.

I know it's a 'no bulls*it', honest response but it is beyone awful for this kind of tone to come from the e-mails of a company's CEO. The original e-mail was more than courteous and deserved the same in return.

16. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

Wow.. how sloped is the counter surface? It must be at least 30' to just slide off by itself! :p

Again, it sucks... but the $199 seems fair. What about the price for replacement parts?

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

is that standard apple policy? you crack your phone and you can get it replaced for 200? I thought the 200 deal was only for water damaged phones

18. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

you may want to consult the builder of the house as it is freekng lopsided, how did it slip off the counter? Was it hit?

19. bigwayne3000 macrumors regular

why dont you just buy the SquareTrade warranty ofr $99 or whatever price it is and do a claim and get a new iPhone? Its a 2 yr warranty so even if you just do the one claim it'll still save you money.

20. boxstboy macrumors member

So you think the iPhone committed suicide?

I think getting a new one at 199.99, basically the subsidized price, is a pretty good deal. A non-subsidized one would probably cost 700 or so.

21. Mengels7 macrumors regular

Why don't you people bug Apple customer support? I'm sure the CEO of the company is busy enough without all you people bothering him with your problems. Steve Jobs isn't the entire damn company.

22. Jr1985 macrumors 6502

I love his style! He so direct, and just because he doesn't waffle or sugar coat his words doesn't make him arrogant.

23. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

that really made LOL

24. macfanrutler macrumors regular

macfanrutler

Physics

So you phone was just sitting there and then it slid off of the counter??? There was this fellow once names Newton who had these "laws." I believe one of them was; An object at rest stays at rest unless acted upon by an outside force. Maybe since no one was touching the lower left hand corner the antenna was receiving such good reception that the radio waves pushed it off the counter. But hey what do I know I am not a physicist, I just play one on T.V. :D