Steve Job's response to the lack of firewire on the Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NJPitcher, Oct 16, 2008.

1. sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

2. TJunkers macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

I have to say I agree with Steve on this one. I do a lot of video editing and all my cameras are equipped with USB 2.0. I love it because it works with both Windows and Mac, while firewire only works with macs (I know firewire works with windows, but it is usually a b*tch to get going).

On the other hand I did use it for backing up my laptop... I just wish they would have added Firewire 800. then I'd be beyond happy, but none the less I am fine without it!

3. Peabody macrumors regular

I must agree as well. Apple traditionally looks forward, not backwards!

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Ninety percent of us who want FW want it for external hard drives, not video cameras. Steve's just deflecting from the real issue here. You wanna lose FW? Fine, but replace it with eSATA. At least it would be an improvement.

5. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Just because an e-mail was from sjobs@apple.com doesn't mean it's from Steve Jobs.

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Pretty broad statement. Any stats to back that stat up? Over on the big thread about it on the Apple discussion pages, all you see is "video, video, video".

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What about Target Disk Mode?

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I think his point still stands. ;)

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Everything is fine if I can keep my Target Disk Mode. ;)

10. NJPitcher thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just citing the article, which claims it's Jobs.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Noooo!

[​IMG]

12. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

If only the USB ports on most laptops weren't underpowered, this wouldn't be a problem. A couple of my external hard drives can't get enough power over USB, but FireWire has the juice to run them.

13. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

Most cameras may now support USB 2.0 now, but I'd still have to replace my perfectly good one if I want to use a new MacBook for any video importing.

14. seenett macrumors regular

Count me as one wanting firewire for a drive. I switched to Mac (macbook) last year from an HP laptop. My HP had 3 USBs (2 more when docked) and an SD card reader built in. No way I would go back to it, but I can't imagine only having two USB ports. I could get a hub, but that's more doggle-ish crap hanging off the side, not to mention the lower power.

Apple wants us to run time machine - that's a full time HD connected. iPhone/iPod, digital camera, and a flash drive. Thankfully I have a wireless printer. That's allot of reaching and swapping connections. If I didn't have firewire for my time machine drive I'd be constantly plugging and unplugging stuff.

How about 3 USB ports??? Compromise??

15. beret9987 macrumors regular

Which cameras do you own that support importing over USB 2.0? I have a Canon ZR-85, HV20, GL2 and this little Panasonic 3CCD Camcorder and NONE of them support USB 2.0 unless you count importing pictures off their respective memory cards. I'm not going to buy another camera just because I bought a new mac. I'll stick with my Blackbook for now until I get some FireWire.

16. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Pretty good read. Trying to stay on top of changing standards is a tough practice, no matter what you do someone will be upset.

17. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I agree with Steve, no point looking backwards. I'm going to shop for a new camcorder to replace my Canon HV30. Besides, if you folks flip your camcorders as often as you do your Macs, I'm sure eBay is your best friend. ;)

18. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I just bought a brand new Sony HD camcorder this year and while yes it has USB ports they are only for still pics.

Still need firewire for capturing video.

USB is just to slow anyway.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why back Jobs? :confused: This is an excuse for them JUST so that they can differentiate their product lines. That, and/or saving them money. You don't save any money. You get less in return, and you're defending them? Sheep. :rolleyes: Even if you don't use it FW, I'd rather it be included, as it has been included in every Mac for 8 years or so.

The reason given in the email is a poor excuse. Including FW isn't going backwards. Going back to USB is "going backwards."

I don't use my FW harddrive anymore because I like my pocketable WD Passport more, but FW has huge advantages over USB that not even USB 3 can solve.

1. The constant, sustained throughput of FW. USB only transfers data in bursts.

2. USB uses your CPU, and therefore, slows down your computer. If you're moving a lot of data, or you're using a device plugged into your USB, be prepared for your computer to slow down. Firewire doesn't require the CPU, so you and your computer can continue working at full speed.

That said, only the cheapest, s**ttiest camcorders don't support FW. Just because people buy the lowest end doesn't mean that a $1300 and $1600 laptop shouldn't support something a bit better.

Besides, if USB was so effing hot right now, then why not replace the FW port with a 3rd USB port? :confused: Even $350 netbooks have 3 USB ports, and they actually dominate the laptop sales figures at the moment.

20. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I have never used FW in my life. I am getting the new MacBook. Personally, this doesn't affect me at all. However, to defend this decision is absolutely absurd. They should have at least waited until USB3 to even consider doing this.

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have 3 FireWire drives and no camera. Two of my drives also support USB, however you lose daisy-chaining when connecting via USB.

Personally this change doesn't affect me... yet. I plan to buy a new MBP in a year, so hopefully there will still be a FireWire port by then. I'll also need a DVI adapter, it seems :(

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yep, that's a good 3rd reason.

Then there's target disk mode...

These last 2 reasons aren't a major issue, even for those who use FW. However, things like sustained throughput is a major issue for anybody who uses their external HDD for more than just another way to back up photos of their dog. Target disk mode is great if you're in I.T.

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Well [as the grand poohbah of] he couldn't just come right out and say that it's because Apple are a bunch of arrogant greedy assclowns, now could he?

24. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Why defend Jobs?

1. Some people will defend Jobs no matter what he does.

2. Maybe they bought the new Macbook and don't want anyone to be critical of it. You know most people who buy something want to think they got the best of something or at least didn't get ripped off.

Jobs messed up and he will try and justify it and throw out his usual BS spin, but he still screwed the consumer by not including a basic FW port no matter what the little fanboys try to say.

Save the "buy a Pro if you need it" speech. It is a freaking FW port, not a larger screen or God forbid a dedicated graphic card we are talking about.