Steve Jobs said it best & yet you still complain everyday

Discussion in 'iPad' started by faiz23, Oct 24, 2012.

1. faiz23 macrumors 6502

faiz23

"Second, being in technology for 30+ years I can attest to the fact that the technology road is bumpy. There is always change and improvement, and there is always someone who bought a product before a particular cutoff date and misses the new price or the new operating system or the new whatever. This is life in the technology lane. If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon. The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of useful and satisfying service from them even as newer models are introduced"

Steve Jobs Letter

2. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

Personally, I have no complaints because I am not needy but I can definitely see why folks would be upset & respect their views.. so IMO really this is an unnecessary thread.

3. gecis macrumors regular

Well said!

4. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

Deprecating the iPad1 in less than 2.5 years is supporting well indeed.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Considering that the main iPad change was a new processor, I don't get the big deal. Stuff like that happens all the time in the computer world. It's not like when I bought my first Mac, a mini, a few years ago. Five weeks later, the Intel-based minis came out. That was a huge change in the architecture and eventually would put up a big wall on upgrades.

There is nothing wrong with the third gen iPad. If someone wants to throw theirs away, my nephews will take good care of it for you.

6. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

Well said. While working in Retail Sales (Electronics) It amazed me how many people would come in and say they are "waiting" for the next generation. Only for it to be "outdated" as soon as you open the box. You'll never catch up to technology.

3GS is still supported even after 3.5 years. It may not have all the current features do to hardware limitations but it still got the update didn't it? :confused:

----------

People are just butt hurt their resale value when down. That's about it.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I must be the only person who doesn't care about resale value on these things. I have used my stuff until it breaks or I can get a new one and hand off the old one to a relative. Not sure what to do with my iPhone 4S when I upgrade since most of my family is on AT&T. Not even sure if I will upgrade in a year if there isn't LTE around me.

8. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

The iPad 1 is slow anyway nowadays, and an iPad 2 is pretty cheap if you don't want to go ipad 4 route.

The only 2010 device that's still supported is the iPod touch and that's because even though the 4th gen is still very slow compared to any iDevice (like iPad 1), it still retains the media factor - i.e. people buy it for music, videos, etc...

9. k995 macrumors 6502a

BS, the ipad 1 proves this, its been very slow ever since I updated it to ios 5 .

And the faster apple starts to update the faster its going to fase out older devices.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Steve Jobs, the same guy who said (antenna-gate): "So don't hold the phone like that!"

That's no original thought, that's just a variation of Don't Follow the Joneses.

As far as support, Apple support is no better or worse than other established companies.

Am HUGELY SURPRISED MS is still supporting my Windows XP, and that dang thing came out in 2001!

11. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

You guys do realize that the more gadgets created the more junk on this planet right? I'm digressing, but I don't understand the majority human nature of owning material things. These are just that, material things, and at the end of the day, I'd rather hold my wife and kids than any tablet or gadget.

Let's all just breathe and understand these are just material things. Buy it and forget about getting screwed over anything. These are just commodity toys!

12. THFourteen macrumors 6502

This is why god gave you two hands. One to hold your wife, one to hold your ipad mini.

The kids can just hold each other.

13. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

lol. Nowadays, we hold ipads and iphones all damn day long.

14. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Microsoft was between a rock and a hard place....XP had such a huge installed base across big business there was no way they could abandon it. They had hoped to when Vista was released, but it proved to be such a POS enterprises refused to upgrade to it - so MS had to bow to the pressure and keep supporting XP because that's where their bread and butter customers were.

15. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I like how he omitted the part about withholding software features :rolleyes:

Will we see a similar open letter from Cook? I doubt it... Apple has become cold and heartless profiteers

16. rrl macrumors 6502

rrl

Words are cheap, Apple products are not. But as a general rule, don't buy first gen anything. And certainly don't camp outside an Apple store.

17. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

If you all haven't caught on the the pattern, iOS 6 only supports devices that were sold at the time of announcement. I think that might be Apple's new model for determining which models to support. So next year, the iPhone 3GS will be out. My guess is they'll still provide limited support for the iPad 2, iPhone 4, and 4th-gen iPod touch since they're all still for sale.

18. 499357 Guest

hmm you seem to have forgotten about this already... http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/

19. GeekGuys macrumors regular

What do you mean... BECOME ?? :confused: Apple has always been a profiteering organisation... they just happen to make sexy stuff that people buy.
    Apple and MS are no different with the exception that Microsoft don't/didn't make anything that was sexy and desirable.

It feels a bit like Apple is the Matrix. Choice is the key to control..... you like to think you have a choice, but you don't really... or do you?!?!?!

20. jigzaw macrumors 6502

I don't have a wife or kids, so I want to be sure to get the best iPad or iPhone that's going to be available for some time because I only have so much discretionary funds. I want to love the feel and smoothness of my iPad and her light feathery weight, and her gleaming bright face as she smiles at me with facebook or the news or a show on Netflix, or other more naughty things when we're feeling frisky.