Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lefse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Subject: Yellow tinge on iMac
Date: 16th March 2010 16.22.52 GMT+01.00
To: *edited*

This problem is behind us.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 16, 2010, at 7:23 AM, *edited* wrote:

When is Apple going to start consistently producing iMac displays without; yellow tinge, grey bars and horrible backlight bleeds?

I'm sick of calling Apple Care. I don't need perfect, just halfway decent.

*edited*

JimKirk

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2009
Yea there goes the RDF again

He is full of **** as usual.

They are still shipping with yellow screens and grey bands.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I think he means that the problem is not in Apple's hands because they don't manufacture the displays. LG manufactures them so it's their problem even though Apple suffers a lot because of it.

And please, don't tell me that you believe that Steve has actually written that... :rolleyes:

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
He is full of **** as usual.

They are still shipping with yellow screens and grey bands.

My week 10 replacement was more yellow than the week 50 it was replacing.

I think he means that the problem is not in Apple's hands because they don't manufacture the displays. LG manufactures them so it's their problem even though Apple suffers a lot because of it.

Not exactly behind them then and as Apple sell the screen it does remain their problem

Norskman

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
And please, don't tell me that you believe that Steve has actually written that... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised if he DID write that. Steve Jobs is known for sending out one liners like this to random customer's complaints.

I'm pretty sure they follow the trends on forums like these and bank on the few coveted "sjobs" email replies to make the rounds on blogs and forums.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Oh, so he remembers the iMac after all?

All he ever seems to talk, breathe, eat, drink, and sleep these days is the iPhone, iPad, and iPhone OS.

lefse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008

I have no idea whether or not he actually sent it himself. But that is irrelevant.
The point here is that Apple officially confirms that there is no longer a problem.

Guess we will have to wait a few weeks then, to see if it really is sorted.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Oh, so he remembers the iMac after all?

All he ever seems to talk, breathe, eat, drink, and sleep these days is the iPhone, iPad, and iPhone OS.

I realize this is sort of tongue and check, however don't forget, most products are in development for years. True right now they are marketing and releasing new iPads and (likely soon) iPhones. That doesn't mean as he typed that he wasn't leaning over a iMac prototype, a preproduction macbook pro, or checking out ideas for OSX 10.7. I think they are committed as ever to the laptop/desktops, but those aren't emerging/growing categories like mobile OS's are.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Not exactly behind them then and as Apple sell the screen it does remain their problem

But Apple can't fix it, it's LG's job and responsibility. Steve can't just walk into the LG factory and start yelling there.

I wouldn't be surprised if he DID write that. Steve Jobs is known for sending out one liners like this to random customer's complaints.

I'm pretty sure they follow the trends on forums like these and bank on the few coveted "sjobs" email replies to make the rounds on blogs and forums.

I doubt it. There are like 100 different "Steve" email addresses (sjobs, steve.jobs, s.jobs, stevejobs, steve, etc...).

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
But Apple can't fix it, it's LG's job and responsibility. Steve can't just walk into the LG factory and start yelling there.

But as it carries Apple's name and they are the retailer for us the purchaser they have to accept a significant amount of the responsibility. For example, the part that is causing Toyota all their braking issues is likely made by a third party supplier yet Toyota still have to accept ultimate responsibility for the issue.

IndustrialSpace

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
somewhere
What does that even mean?

Another ambiguous Apple message.

If consumers are STILL experiencing things like yellowing, grey bands, flickering, dead pixels, etc. in machines built as recent as weeks 9, 10 and 11, how can it possibly have been fixed?

The truth is, it is an inherent design flaw inthe iMac and nothing is going to change this. You may have more or less yellowing, but you WILL indeed have some amount of yellow which will never go away.

See this analysis of the iMac screen issue:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/872918/

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What does that even mean?

Another ambiguous Apple message.

If consumers are STILL experiencing things like yellowing, grey bands, flickering, dead pixels, etc. in machines built as recent as weeks 9, 10 and 11, how can it possibly have been fixed?

The truth is, it is an inherent design flaw inthe iMac and nothing is going to change this. You may have more or less yellowing, but you WILL indeed have some amount of yellow which will never go away.

See this analysis of the iMac screen issue:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/872918/

The flaw is either in the display or in the backlight, not in the whole iMac. This again leads to 3rd party manufacturers. Please stop spreading that "iMacs will always have yellowing" because that's not true. At some point, the issue will be fixed, it may not be with this gen iMacs but I'm sure the next gen iMacs will have non-yellow screens. If LG can't make one, Apple will change the manufacturer.

The screen Apple uses is rev A because there has never been a display with same resolution before so Apple is the "test-rabbit". All rev As have more or less issues but when rev Bs and Cs come, they are usually fixed

IndustrialSpace

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
somewhere
The flaw is either in the display or in the backlight, not in the whole iMac. This again leads to 3rd party manufacturers. Please stop spreading that "iMacs will always have yellowing" because that's not true. At some point, the issue will be fixed, it may not be with this gen iMacs but I'm sure the next gen iMacs will have non-yellow screens. If LG can't make one, Apple will change the manufacturer.

The screen Apple uses is rev A because there has never been a display with same resolution before so Apple is the "test-rabbit". All rev As have more or less issues but when rev Bs and Cs come, they are usually fixed

If this is true, then why did Apple issue a statement that they've "addressed" the issue, indicating that the yellow tint problem has been eradicated from production. Simply not true. There are still screens with defects.

I really hope the next rev. will be less problematic.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
If this is true, then why did Apple issue a statement that they've "addressed" the issue, indicating that the yellow tint problem has been eradicated from production. Simply not true. There are still screens with defects.

It's a good point.

Apple are far from a poor blameless customer in all this - they chose LG as their supplier and ultimately if something has their name on it then they have to be accountable for the panels ongoing failings.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
it's apple's job to make sure they don't sell lemons to their customers. in this case, the problem is not behind them.

trjwv

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
kentucky...Go Cats
I Just Received My Week 10 27" Imac I7 Yesterday And Tested Both The Yellowing And Gray Bar And I Have To Say My Screen Look Perfect....i Will Continue To Test For A Couple Of Days As I Have Read This Issue Sometimes Occurs Within A Couple Of Days.....

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL

Sent from my iPhone

Translation: "We've turned our backs to this issue and affected customers."

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

To make people buy them again an believe that they are okay? It's stupid that Apple released that statement because iMacs are obviously not fine yet.

It's a good point.

Apple are far from a poor blameless customer in all this - they chose LG as their supplier and ultimately if something has their name on it then they have to be accountable for the panels ongoing failings.

I agree. Apple could've chosen another manufacturer but they chose LG (maybe because it's the cheapest). I'm not defending Apple, I'm saying that Apple can't go and fix it, it's LGs job and I'm sure Apple has put some pressure on LG to make better screens. Apple should've tested the iMacs little more before releasing them

Maybe not into the factory, but he could certainly walk into LG headquarters and start yelling, if that's what it takes.

I'm sure he has done something about it but it requires the lazy LG bosses to do something for it too. Hopefully LG has solved the issues or at least are close to the solution because this is starting to be ridiculous...

MacVibe

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
Pointing fingers at anyone but Apple is silly. Apple let the products out the door and they shouldn't have. They need a QA department that is strong enough to stop any product that doesn't meet spec, and considering the volume of the reports, they should be inspecting every single machine.

muskratboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007

right... because the world's most famous anal control freak is going to let some marketing intern use HIS name in random correspondence.

do you think steve would ever DARE let anyone use his name EVER who is not him? really? :rolleyes:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
right... because the world's most famous anal control freak is going to let some marketing intern use HIS name in random correspondence.

do you think steve would ever DARE let anyone use his name EVER who is not him? really? :rolleyes:

Do you think that one of the most famous CEOs in the world would get himself down to the level of basic customer servicer?

He may write SOME of the emails but that like .001% and I don't believe until I see it

iammaj0

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 16, 2010, at 7:23 AM, *edited* wrote:

When is Apple going to start consistently producing iMac displays without; yellow tinge, grey bars and horrible backlight bleeds?

I'm sick of calling Apple Care. I don't need perfect, just halfway decent.

*edited*

Hey I would love to talk about this further with you. Please e-mail me at markgurman@me.com . Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.