Steve Jobs: there will NEVER be a low end version of the iPhone with the current one!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iRobby, Jul 15, 2011.

1. iRobby, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

All the rumors of Apple releasing a low end iPhone for the benefit of selling more iPhones are FALSE according to Steve Job's philosophy of how and why Apple builds its products:

February 1985:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PB: What's the difference between the people who have insanely great ideas and the people who pull of those insanely great ideas?

SJ: Let me compare it with IBM. How come the Mac group produced Mac and the people at IBM produced the PCjr? We think the Mac will sell zillions, but we didn't build the Mac for anybody else. We built it for ourselves. We were the group of people who were going to judge whether it was great or not. We weren't going to go out and do market research. We just wanted to build the best thing we could build. When you're a carpenter making a beautiful chest of drawers, you're not going to use a piece of plywood on the back, even though it faces the wall and nobody will ever see it. You'll know it's there, so you're going to use a beautiful piece of wood on the back. For you to sleep well at night, the aesthetic, the quality, has to be carried all the way through.

PB: Are you saying that the people who made PCjr don't have that kind of pride in the product?

SJ: If they did, they wouldn't have made the PCjr. It seems clear to me that they were designing that on the basis of market research for a specific market segment, for a specific demographic type of customer, and they hoped that if they built this, lots of people would buy them and they'd make lots of money. Those are different motivations. The people in the Mac group wanted to build the greatest computer that has ever been seen.

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Im reaching for the.........................

Attached Files:

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

So....I'd actually rather know the "philosophies" of the Girls of Texas.

Maybe that deserves it's own thread?;)

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Because a 26 year old magazine article is really relevant today. :rolleyes:

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Of course it is, and you know that Steve Jobs is always right and never changes his mind. :rolleyes:

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You mean like the 3GS? (which is still being sold with "the current one".)

Whatever was said in that magazine is clearly irrelevant today. Steve has said a lot of things, but are you really going to word for word on it? Steve said "Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal. -- Steve Jobs" but we aren't really going to analyze every single word he said, are we? They are clearly thinking different now

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Nice find, but I'm sure Apple could have changed the way it does things in the last 26 years. There is a cheaper version of the iPhone already, it's called last years model.

8. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I see what you did there

9. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror