Steve Jobs turned away from busy San Fran Pizza shop

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs, one of the richest people on the planet, couldn't get a table at a popular Italian restaurant in San Francisco, Calif. last week, as the billionaire didn't have a reservation.

Jobs was photographed on Saturday at the busy Flour + Water restaurant, wearing his trademark black mock turtleneck and blue jeans. The eatery confirmed to SF Weekly that Jobs was unable to get a table and left with an empty stomach.

"Having more money than God didn't help Jobs last Saturday night, when he and a companion tried to get a table," SFoodie editor John Birdsall wrote. "Flour + Water publicist Liam Passmore says Jobs lined up with other table hopefuls before the restaurant opened Saturday. Turns out the people immediately in front of Jobs got the last seats. So what did the man in black do? He left."

The spokesperson said that they would like for Jobs to come back to their restaurant, and will offer him a table next time.

The popular San Francisco destination, located on 2401 Harrison Street, is one of the hottest spots in the city. In January, the San Jose Mercury News noted that reservations are hard to come by for the establishment, but it's "worth braving the crowd" for the Italian cuisine.

Even though the restaurant confirmed Jobs' appearance, some skeptical Internet commenters remained convinced that the photo of Jobs leaving the restaurant was doctored.

"Most of the people in there are Photoshopped in," user "Ryan" commented. "The person who did it lined up in the shadows with the shadows of the telephone wires instead of the shadows in the telephone pole. Steve Jobs, dude in blue, girl in white -- all cropped in. Even shadows of people behind the camera are cropped in."

Proving that fans of Apple and Jobs are among the most passionate when it comes to anything regarding the company, another user, "fred," did an illustration with the photo to prove that the shadows in the photo were, in fact, accurate.

http://photos.appleinsider.com/jobs-100805-2.jpg

http://photos.appleinsider.com/jobs-100805-1.jpg

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
All the same, I applaud the restaurant for good business practices in not giving him a spot just because he's somebody.

Apple itself could take a lesson from that. Although it was the employees' decision, not Apple itself.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
If I were him, I would buy the restaurant.

"HA! Turn ME away, will you?"

Then again, I am vindictive like that. :)

If I were that rich, I would be one of those "eccentric" (crazy) rich guys who does off the wall stuff like that.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Nah, if I was that rich, I'd flaunt it.

Turn to the customer at the nearest table and say "I'll give you $10,000 each, in cash, right now if you will let me have your table."

What a story they would have to tell! Everybody wins!

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007

"HA! Turn ME away, will you?"

Then again, I am vindictive like that. :)

If I were that rich, I would be one of those "eccentric" (crazy) rich guys who does off the wall stuff like that.
So you'd be Bruce Wayne? lol.

I think I'd like to be like that. Although in reality I'm sure a large majority of his money is tied up in bits and pieces, and not easily accessible via the nearest ATM :p

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
Nah, if I was that rich, I'd flaunt it.

Turn to the customer at the nearest table and say "I'll give you $10,000 each, in cash, right now if you will let me have your table."

What a story they would have to tell! Everybody wins!
He already bought up the world's supply of black turtlenecks. What else do you want?

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
So you'd be Bruce Wayne? lol.

I think I'd like to be like that. Although in reality I'm sure a large majority of his money is tied up in bits and pieces, and not easily accessible via the nearest ATM :p
Just offer them a stock swap or something. :)

Or you could be like the lottery winner in West Virginia who routinely carried $100k plus in cash around in a briefcase. Then it got stolen from his truck.

I guess the briefcase o' cash would be the bribe money for bribing other people out of their table.

Edit: I got curious, so I went searching. Jack Whittaker is the guy's name, and he had $545k in cash stolen from his car. Who carries around that much cash? Check out his Wikipedia entry. This has absolutely nothing to do with Steve Jobs or pizza places, but I always find stories like this morbidly fascinating.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Some people wear black t-shirts and cargo pants every day.

Oh, and SJ was spotted in a tuxedo once!!!
http://obamapacman.com/2010/03/apple-ceo-steve-jobs-walks-oscar-academy-awards-red-carpet-in-tuxedo/
Definite photoshop.

It's a black turtleneck, then they drew crease lines on it and coloured in a white collar :p

Edit: I got curious, so I went searching. Jack Whittaker is the guy's name, and he had $545k in cash stolen from his car. Who carries around that much cash? Check out his Wikipedia entry. This has absolutely nothing to do with Steve Jobs or pizza places, but I always find stories like this morbidly fascinating.
Woah! That guy's had one heck of an up-and-down life!

Xavier

macrumors 68030
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
We'll after collecting his salary for 3 years, he still didn't have enough on his person for a slice of pizza lol :p ($1 annually)

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
Definite photoshop.

It's a black turtleneck, then they drew crease lines on it and coloured in a white collar :p

Woah! That guy's had one heck of an up-and-down life!
Yeah, I feel sorry for the guy. His life is like a train-wreck. Sadly, a lot of lottery winners end up like that. There is a TV show on A&E or some network like that called "Lottery changed my life". It is train-wreck TV at its worst. I want to look away, but find myself gawking. Many lottery winners on that show ended up like him. It either drives the winners crazy, or the people around them crazy.

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
The pic looks authentic. I do photo retouching for a living and the photo of Steve Jobs outside of the restaurant does not look retouched, all the shadows and highlights are in perspective and look ok. All the lines drawn that were dropped in as proof are a joke and prove nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.