Steve Jobs: We don't know how to do maps. We don't think one company can do everythin

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Times change.

When your Map supplier becomes your biggest competitor, and refuses to bring competitive features like turn by turn navigation to your platform, you need to adapt or be left behind.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
The fact they left Google Maps isn't the problem. It's that they released an alternative that wasn't ready for prime time.

shifty27

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2010
IMO they should have stayed with google another year and made the maps app with full coverage of the world and everything being accurate.

However what people forget is that the only have employee numbers in the thousands (engineer employees etc not retail ones). This means apple doesn't have the major user base to BETA test features/hardware software etc.

If you have a look at all the launches of new ios's and iphones/ipads etc bugs and problems always occur after the launch becuase there are millions of users testing them in wildly varying conditions.

Apple will now have a couple of months worth of data coming in from millions of ios 6 users to help correct + improve the maps app. If apple were to continue for another year testing/improving the maps app behind closed doors whilst still using google maps it wouldn't get no where near the amount of data from its employees than from its ios 6 users. The exact same applies for SIRI. They both needed to be released into the wild such to speek, to get millions of users data back to help improve the software. Both should say BETA on the website!

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
It's arguable that it would have been impossible to improve the maps beyond a certain point before launch.

Let's look at it this way, we're talking about a phenomenally large dataset, gathered from various sources and stitched together. And the vast majority of it is correct and complete. What you're looking for now are those several thousand needles in several million haystacks. Another year in stealth mode might not have found even half of them and, if that were the case, we'd be seeing the same level of anger and disappointment a year from now but with the added downside of having spent an entire additional year without proper turn-by-turn and vector based graphics.

If that is the case, and I'm fairly sure it is, then Apple did the only thing they could do - they bit the bullet and got the pain over with so that, a year from now, they will have a comparable quality maps product and have made a huge step in moving themselves away from one of their biggest rivals. For all the pain Apple is dealing with now it could be said that Google is dealing with more. They lost 100 million users on mobile in the space of a week. 100 MILLION! That's a big old dent in their revenue stream and a huge reduction in their ability to grab data.

I guess what I'm saying is that this could well have been Apple's least worst course of action. That isn't to say we should all be barred from criticism but rather that our criticism should take into account the viable choices rather than comparing this path to paths that were just never options to begin with.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
"We didn't think we'd do well in the cell phone business. What we've done instead is, we've written what we think is some of the best software in the world to start syncing information between devices."

"We look at the tablet and we think it’s going to fail. Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other PCs and devices already."

-Steve Jobs

:rolleyes:

(Oh and in the first video: "Watching videos on a tiny little screen isn't that much fun.")

Last edited:

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
"We didn't think we'd do well in the cell phone business. What we've done instead is, we've written what we think is some of the best software in the world to start syncing information between devices."

"We look at the tablet and we think it’s going to fail. Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other PCs and devices already."

-Steve Jobs

YouTube: video
YouTube: video

:rolleyes:

(Oh and in the first video: "Watching videos on a tiny little screen isn't that much fun.")
Yes ..... Times do change and opinions along with them. Thanks for posting this.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
The fact they left Google Maps isn't the problem. It's that they released an alternative that wasn't ready for prime time.
Maps is a relevant feature of iOS 6.
Without Maps, we would have iOS 5.5 probably.

arkoh

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Copenhagen
It's arguable that it would have been impossible to improve the maps beyond a certain point before launch.

Let's look at it this way, we're talking about a phenomenally large dataset, gathered from various sources and stitched together. And the vast majority of it is correct and complete. What you're looking for now are those several thousand needles in several million haystacks. Another year in stealth mode might not have found even half of them and, if that were the case, we'd be seeing the same level of anger and disappointment a year from now but with the added downside of having spent an entire additional year without proper turn-by-turn and vector based graphics.

If that is the case, and I'm fairly sure it is, then Apple did the only thing they could do - they bit the bullet and got the pain over with so that, a year from now, they will have a comparable quality maps product and have made a huge step in moving themselves away from one of their biggest rivals. For all the pain Apple is dealing with now it could be said that Google is dealing with more. They lost 100 million users on mobile in the space of a week. 100 MILLION! That's a big old dent in their revenue stream and a huge reduction in their ability to grab data.

I guess what I'm saying is that this could well have been Apple's least worst course of action. That isn't to say we should all be barred from criticism but rather that our criticism should take into account the viable choices rather than comparing this path to paths that were just never options to begin with.
Well said man!!! Well said!!

sh0vel

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2010
Apple didn't know how to do Music...until they did it. Same thing with phones.
Look at an even more recent example - the cloud. MobileMe was horrendous in a lot of ways. I think it's fair to say that iCloud isn't that bad and given what it does it works fairly well. All this to say - it is inevitable the Apple maps will improve.

The idea that companies should stick to what they know is not necessarily good business sense. Sticking to what you know is how companies become stagnant and unable to innovate.

Last edited:

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Clearly they felt differently.
No, I think they agree but there's no way to get to the point where they are without going live. The world is too big a place for that.

Google Maps sucked just as hard back when it launched, and it got better only because so many people started using it. I believe gmaps was the first large-scale slippy map on the web though, and it had satellite images of nearly everywhere. I think both of those things helped tremendously in its popularity. I remember it becoming public and spending waaaay too much time exploring the satellite imagery on it.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
When you can buy out a company doing a maps app and incorporate it into your OS, then do it.

Steve was talking about the current moment of Apple diving into their own maps program. It wasn't feasible.

Maps will get better over time.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
Apple had no other choice. Google won't let them have turn by turn navigation which is a great thing for mobile users.

google enjoyed the fruits of iOS native applications and didn't do a thing to make it better.

People think it's all apple fault. why didn't we have a better youtube applications from 2007 ? Apple improved Calender, Mail added Reminders but had difficult time with Google.

Now to have a good maps application you need data. for better data you need users to give you feedbacks and so on. seems like apple had to do it.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
I miss the sonofabitch but that's bit a different. Besides, hindsight is 20/20.

Not even Google Maps is perfect. Depends where you live but when I used to live in New Braunfels, Texas it used to regularly put businesses on the wrong side of the highway. Now here in Taiwan it doesn't do addresses particularly well (neither does Apple Maps).

TheRealPorkchop

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Whiteville, NC
You better not go onto Apple's support forum and complain about it too much or any other aspect of iOS 6 or you'll catch a case of BANNED.

They didn't like it cause I said they should open signing of 5.1.1 again until they get the bugs worked out for people who were displeased. And if you really wanna get'um upset just mention switching to an Android powered device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.