Steve Jobs: We don't know how to do maps. We don't think one company can do everythin

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by gladoscc, Sep 29, 2012.

1. gladoscc, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2012

gladoscc
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

2. thewitt
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

thewitt

Times change.

When your Map supplier becomes your biggest competitor, and refuses to bring competitive features like turn by turn navigation to your platform, you need to adapt or be left behind.

3. shinji
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

shinji

The fact they left Google Maps isn't the problem. It's that they released an alternative that wasn't ready for prime time.

4. shifty27
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

shifty27

IMO they should have stayed with google another year and made the maps app with full coverage of the world and everything being accurate.

5. Zunjine
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

It's arguable that it would have been impossible to improve the maps beyond a certain point before launch.

Let's look at it this way, we're talking about a phenomenally large dataset, gathered from various sources and stitched together. And the vast majority of it is correct and complete. What you're looking for now are those several thousand needles in several million haystacks. Another year in stealth mode might not have found even half of them and, if that were the case, we'd be seeing the same level of anger and disappointment a year from now but with the added downside of having spent an entire additional year without proper turn-by-turn and vector based graphics.

If that is the case, and I'm fairly sure it is, then Apple did the only thing they could do - they bit the bullet and got the pain over with so that, a year from now, they will have a comparable quality maps product and have made a huge step in moving themselves away from one of their biggest rivals. For all the pain Apple is dealing with now it could be said that Google is dealing with more. They lost 100 million users on mobile in the space of a week. 100 MILLION! That's a big old dent in their revenue stream and a huge reduction in their ability to grab data.

I guess what I'm saying is that this could well have been Apple's least worst course of action. That isn't to say we should all be barred from criticism but rather that our criticism should take into account the viable choices rather than comparing this path to paths that were just never options to begin with.

6. rorschach, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

rorschach
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

rorschach

"We didn't think we'd do well in the cell phone business. What we've done instead is, we've written what we think is some of the best software in the world to start syncing information between devices."

"We look at the tablet and we think it’s going to fail. Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other PCs and devices already."

-Steve Jobs

:rolleyes:

(Oh and in the first video: "Watching videos on a tiny little screen isn't that much fun.")

7. thewitt
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

thewitt

Clearly they felt differently.

8. Hawkeye411
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yes ..... Times do change and opinions along with them. Thanks for posting this.

9. rick98761
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

They should have put it out I'm beta for a year on the App Store.

10. shinji
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

shinji

11. LostSoul80
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Maps is a relevant feature of iOS 6.
    Without Maps, we would have iOS 5.5 probably.

12. arkoh
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Well said man!!! Well said!!

13. macness
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

macness

True, my friend... very very true

14. sh0vel, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

sh0vel
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

sh0vel

Apple didn't know how to do Music...until they did it. Same thing with phones.
    Look at an even more recent example - the cloud. MobileMe was horrendous in a lot of ways. I think it's fair to say that iCloud isn't that bad and given what it does it works fairly well. All this to say - it is inevitable the Apple maps will improve.

The idea that companies should stick to what they know is not necessarily good business sense. Sticking to what you know is how companies become stagnant and unable to innovate.

15. FelixDerKater
    Expand Collapse
    Contributor

FelixDerKater

Apple isn't doing maps alone. Look at the credits.

16. CyBeRino
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

No, I think they agree but there's no way to get to the point where they are without going live. The world is too big a place for that.

Google Maps sucked just as hard back when it launched, and it got better only because so many people started using it. I believe gmaps was the first large-scale slippy map on the web though, and it had satellite images of nearly everywhere. I think both of those things helped tremendously in its popularity. I remember it becoming public and spending waaaay too much time exploring the satellite imagery on it.

17. Gemütlichkeit
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

When you can buy out a company doing a maps app and incorporate it into your OS, then do it.

Steve was talking about the current moment of Apple diving into their own maps program. It wasn't feasible.

Maps will get better over time.

18. thewitt
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

thewitt

19. Smug Boy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Apple couldn't do maps so they bought a company that could.

20. drsox
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

drsox

Like most things - version 3.0 will be terrific.

21. 1member1
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Apple had no other choice. Google won't let them have turn by turn navigation which is a great thing for mobile users.

google enjoyed the fruits of iOS native applications and didn't do a thing to make it better.

People think it's all apple fault. why didn't we have a better youtube applications from 2007 ? Apple improved Calender, Mail added Reminders but had difficult time with Google.

Now to have a good maps application you need data. for better data you need users to give you feedbacks and so on. seems like apple had to do it.

22. Drunken Master
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

I miss the sonofabitch but that's bit a different. Besides, hindsight is 20/20.

Not even Google Maps is perfect. Depends where you live but when I used to live in New Braunfels, Texas it used to regularly put businesses on the wrong side of the highway. Now here in Taiwan it doesn't do addresses particularly well (neither does Apple Maps).

23. TheRealPorkchop
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

TheRealPorkchop

You better not go onto Apple's support forum and complain about it too much or any other aspect of iOS 6 or you'll catch a case of BANNED.

They didn't like it cause I said they should open signing of 5.1.1 again until they get the bugs worked out for people who were displeased. And if you really wanna get'um upset just mention switching to an Android powered device.

24. Compile 'em all
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Sorry but Steve Jobs also said that they don't think it is a good idea for third parties to develop apps for the iPhone. And web apps are good enough. Just because he said it doesn't mean he really meant it.

25. Death-T
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Death-T