Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
He's a topic I've not yet seen on MacRumors (correct me if I'm wrong)...

What Mac does Steve Jobs and Co use? I don't want loads of replies about Dell laptops running NeXtstep etc.

Is he using an overclocked 1.5GHtz G4, or an unreleased system using the G5/Power4/new PPC/Petrol?

I think its easy to imagine him using the top spec powermac from the Apple Store, but I suppose I hope it's something so fantastic and hardcore, we can only speculate!

Could be a Quad-Intel Cube running Marklar? Come on, let's use our imagination!!!

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
I've heard that he has various machines running various OSes, Windows, NeXT, Macs... and he likes to sit *on* his desk, which some say is why the puck mouse was created (easier to use while on a desk).

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Re: My Guess is...

Originally posted by BenderBot1138
...he uses Apple Computers.

:cool:

How clever of you. Obviously by asking people to have imaginations has a negative effect in this thread!

sedarby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Dallas, TX
Steve Jobs is a computer...

You miss the point, see Steve Jobs as we knew him in the 80's actually died. What we see at keynotes and the like is a prototype of the future Mac. Why else would Steve Jobs have coined the name iMac? Get it? It's short for i am Mac.

I envision him and other Apple executives using some prototype wearable computer with embedded electrodes in their brains to use their full periperal vision for display and auditory channels for a completely immersive experience. Imagine Virtual Reality not as you in the computer but you ARE the computer. Gigahertz would fly out the window at this point. (No pun intended) How would that be for an answer to Bill and companies tablet computer!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
what is steve jobs going to use his computer for? He'll have a TiPB with a nice 23" or maybe bigger Apple Display for checking his email, looking at spread sheets and using some other apps. He's not going to be doing anything to bring the machine to its knees and if he has to, he can go and find a cluster running somewhere to render his home movies in FCP.....

D

sedarby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by Eple
Why imagine that?
We already are biological computers.

That is a serious misconception that has been proliferated by the Illuminati (you know the guys who really control the world not those flashy governments pasted all over the news).

In actual fact, reality is just an illusion. The way you perceive the world is your reality. Time does not exist and colors are an illusion.

Biological computers have been attempted but have ended in utter failure because you can't force a system of logic on organic material.

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Re: Re: My Guess is...

Originally posted by gotohamish

How clever of you. Obviously by asking people to have imaginations has a negative effect in this thread!

Sorry gotohamish... my bad... I'll bet he uses a really advanced PROTOTYPE of some very powerful FUTURE - yet to be released - Apple Computer... ;)

Cool post though... I'm enjoying the responses very much... but cringe at the idea that our leader uses anything but an Apple.

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Originally posted by dukestreet
what is steve jobs going to use his computer for? He'll have a TiPB with a nice 23" or maybe bigger Apple Display for checking his email, looking at spread sheets and using some other apps. He's not going to be doing anything to bring the machine to its knees and if he has to, he can go and find a cluster running somewhere to render his home movies in FCP.....

D

Good point... but this brings up a good question as well... I've heard there's a Powerbook model that is 1580x854 High Definition floating around. There's suposed to be some extra keyboard features or something as well. Now I can't imagine this is anything more than pure prototype.

The interesting question is: Would we see our fearless leader or the Knighthood at Apple out in public with such a beast? What are the chances we'd see an Apple Exec out and about with some prototype they just can't part with... Does anyone know where a person can get a good look at the prototypes that didn't make it?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by BenderBot1138

Good point... but this brings up a good question as well... I've heard there's a Powerbook model that is 1580x854 High Definition floating around. There's suposed to be some extra keyboard features or something as well. Now I can't imagine this is anything more than pure prototype.

He probably has more than one any way. And if he had a PowerMac, well, 3 monitors wouldn't be out of place - 3 23" monitors.....drool :D

D

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Palo Alto
His Pixar office is empty so . . .

If anyone caught the glimpse of his empty Pixar office on the Monster's Inc DVD then, assuming he must need to use a computer some time while at Pixar, he probably has a Powerbook that he can bring there. Plus, he travels a lot (right?) - powerbook makes the most sense to me. Whether it is a prototype or not, who knows?

Future Man

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
I'm really sorry for not being motivated enough to go to the book and find exactly where and what it says, but, in The Second Coming of Steve Jobs by Alan Deutschman; Mr. Deutschman lists job's personal/work computers he used when he went back to work at Apple. They were like a Next box and a Toshiba laptop! He didn't even use an Apple.

Maybe he had been at Next and pissed at Apple so he wasn't buying their product. But I remember some mention of how much he liked the Next OS. However, all of this was way before (in computer time at least) the public release of the greatest OS in the world. So maybe today with X he's come back around.

BTW while I'm on it I would like to point out that I think os X has saved apple computer. I mean what sort of astonishing hardware have they come out with since the G4? Nice work Steve! Now lets have some hardware...

Mans Future

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
He said in an interview at the SoHo Store pening that he has a dual 800 with a 22" Cinema Display. But I'm sure he has more than just that.

Then again, that was at his home.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Future Man

Maybe he had been at Next and pissed at Apple so he wasn't buying their product. But I remember some mention of how much he liked the Next OS. However, all of this was way before (in computer time at least) the public release of the greatest OS in the world. So maybe today with X he's come back around.

Hmm.... you do realize a few facts:

- Steve Jobs founded NeXT Inc.
- Mac OS X is basically updated version of NeXT OS

To add to the topic at hand... Steve Jobs did use a PC Laptop and NeXT OS when he first came back to Apple. Since then, I'm not sure if I've seen anything say what he's been using. Maybe if he's reading this, he can give us the answer... :)

arn

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
Re: Nah, he has a Cube!

Originally posted by cubist
And mebbe he has a TAM too:D

There is absolutely no way he uses a Twentieth Anniv. Mac... I would be willing to bet my new DP 867 on that. the tam was such a failure......

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Stevie's computer, eh?

I'm guessing he probably has a TiBook and a 1.25ghz power mac...
Just hoping that the room with the most computers in his house doesn't look like mine :).
It's a total disaster with like 12+ powermac g4's w/cinema displays and tibook after tibook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.