Steve Scalise, Saved by a Lesbian, Will Speak at a anti-LGBT Rally

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Nice. Real nice.

"Congressman Steve Scalise recently returned to work after being shot while practicing for the Congressional baseball game. Capitol Police Officer Crystal Griner, a married lesbian, was also wounded in that attack, but she saved the life of Scalise and others by working with a fellow officer to bring down the shooter. Next week, Scalise is scheduled to speak at an anti-LBGT group’s rally. He’ll make “a return trip to the biggest gathering of pro-family conservatives in the country” when he speaks at the Value Voters Summit, an event organized by the Family Research Council. FYI, the Southern Poverty Law Center classifies the FRC as a hate group."

http://uproxx.com/news/steve-scalise-anti-lgbt-rally/

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I don’t see any connection between the two. Being saved has nothing to do with homosexuality, as homosexuality had nothing to do with saving the guy.

3. Mac'nCheese thread starter Suspended

Mac'nCheese

That's right. And homosexuality should have nothing to do with having the same rights as people who aren't homosexual. Yet...

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

That’s a different thing.
    Seriously, there is zero connection.

5. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Not being sarcastic, but what rights do homosexuals not have?
    Thought the last hurdle was marriage. SCOTUS fixed that.

6. Mac'nCheese thread starter Suspended

Mac'nCheese

That's what the group he is speaking in front of fought against.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Oh you were talking in hypothetical terms. I also missed that.

8. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

He is still vocally against marriage equality, as is the group he’s appearing with.

It is still legal in many states to be fired for being homosexual. Also, “gay conversion therapy” is still legal in some states.

Marriage equality was a huge step. It is not the end. Not by a long shot.

9. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I get that, but they lost. They can bitch and moan about it all they want, but SCOTUS ruled that the equal protection clause really does apply to all.
    The anti-LGBTQ group is like that other person that lost the election, but still insist on bitching about it. You lost... get over it.
    But I guess they need to complete all the emotional stages of grief first.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

@yaxomoxay you have a point that they aren't related. At the same time - the optics are what they are. Perhaps he doesn't care, but I assure you, the members of the LBGT community certainly does. Let's go for the bad analogy. If a particular drug saved my life - it would be tacky of me to speak out against that drug or the drug company that produced it so soon after recovery, no?

If a us citizen who was muslim had saved him and right after recovery - he was speaking out against all muslims - it would be tacky, no?

11. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Name one state where it's legal to fire someone solely on their sexual orientation.

12. Mac'nCheese thread starter Suspended

Mac'nCheese

As one person wrote, "thanks for saving my life, now I will try to away your rights,"
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2017 ---
    Not right now but they are working on it.

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/144081/jeff-sessions-wants-make-sure-can-fired-gay
    I'm speaking in stay classy terms.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

While I would’ve been more delicate than Scalise, it would be odd to change opinion due to an unrelated event. I see now what you and the OP mean, but it’s a bit of a stretch.
    I don’t necessarily disagree on the basis of timing. I can’t stand modern art, and if a modern artist saves my life that won’t make me appreciate his work any bit more than before (I wouldn’t go to a “Modern Art sucks” seminary so early either).

14. rjohnstone, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The 28 state list is based on the lack of a law explicitly stating the act of discrimination is not legal. No state has the act of discrimination codified in law saying it was legal grounds for termination.
    And the caveats for states that lack an explicit, law make it clear that federal law protects them under Title VII of the civil rights act.

Edit:
    The case in the linked article is lacking important information.
    Personally the comment to a paying customer about not worrying about the instructor's intentions because he's gay, is inappropriate.

I don't think he should have been fired for it, but we don't have all the details on his employment history with the company.
    If he had a history of making inappropriate comments like that, then yeah... final straw and can his ass.

15. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

“In 31 states, it is legal to fire someone based on their sexual orientation. In 39 states, it is legal to do so based on gender identity.”

There are also many other issues, including custody, adoption, housing, etc. The protections vary by state.

http://webarchive.loc.gov/all/20081023074246/https://www.hrc.org/laws_and_elections/state.asp

The EEOC said in 2015 that sexual orientation is protected, but it’s not necessarily legally binding, and there’s been pushback against it.

Then there’s Sessions.

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Wouldn't it make more sense to wait to hear what he says first? I mean he could be attending to say something totally different from what you think he's going to say.

17. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The statement is intentionally misleading. What their saying is there are no state laws that explicitly say it's illegal to fire over sexual orientation. They don't need state laws barring it as there is already federal law in place.
    The 7th Circuit ruled in April (8-3) that workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation violates the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

How is the EEOC saying the civil rights act is not legally binding?
    Companies get sued for violating it all the time.

The 7th Circuit ruled in April that discrimination based on sexual orientation violates the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

18. 0007776 Suspended

It would make much more sense, but then why pass up the opportunity to take a cheap shot.

I also fail to see the relevance of the police officer that saved him being lesbian, her sexual orientation shouldn’t affect her ability to do her job. And the fact that she is a lesbian and did her job shouldn’t change anyone’s opinion on if redefining marriage to include same sex couples was appropriate or not.

19. Mac'nCheese thread starter Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Cheap shot? Ha. This is from their web site (they are a hate group plain and simple):

Homosexuality
    Family Research Council believes that homosexual conduct is harmful to the persons who engage in it and to society at large, and can never be affirmed. It is by definition unnatural, and as such is associated with negative physical and psychological health effects. While the origins of same-sex attractions may be complex, there is no convincing evidence that a homosexual identity is ever something genetic or inborn. We oppose the vigorous efforts of homosexual activists to demand that homosexuality be accepted as equivalent to heterosexuality in law, in the media, and in schools. Attempts to join two men or two women in "marriage" constitute a radical redefinition and falsification of the institution, and FRC supports state and federal constitutional amendments to prevent such redefinition by courts or legislatures. Sympathy must be extended to those who struggle with unwanted same-sex attractions, and every effort should be made to assist such persons to overcome those attractions, as many already have.”
    Yeah, I’m sure he’s going there to tell them to stop calling homosexuality a sin and abnormal behavior. It’s a lot more than just gay marriage.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That's the problem. You don't see it from a gay person's point of view. Let me clue you in. We have gone a lifetime....literally decades, with groups like this always opposing us and making up lies about us. So, when a lesbian saves someone's life, and that person goes to speak at an anti-gay group's event, it not only seems ungrateful, but it is a slap right in the face.

Any state that has at-will employment without specific protections. You don't have to be given the real reason. Lay off, redundancies, business decision..lots of things will suffice.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Read my follow ups. At first I didn’t understand what he was trying to say.

I

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I did. You said it was a bit of a stretch. I disagree.

23. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

One has to prove the employers motivation in court.

As I posted earlier, the 7th circuit already ruled in April that the civil rights act protects against discrimination based on sexual orientation.

24. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Yeah, really time Trump is getting over kinda loosing that election.

Atleast he‘s the only one I‘d qualify as constantly bitching bout it... .

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You could just as easily say the person who shot him was for gay rights since it was a liberal targeting Republicans. It doesn't really serve any real purpose in this scenario though, it's not like she made a judgement call based on lesbian rights whether to pursue the criminal, she was on security detail and the person she was paid to protect was near fatally wounded.

It was literally her job to "save" Scalise.

Not going to discuss his views on homosexuality which I'm sure are misguided and wrong because they are irrelevant in this situation.