Steve was right the truly build a phone 5 years ahead of its time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DenisAuermann, Jul 15, 2012.

1. DenisAuermann macrumors regular

DenisAuermann

When I first saw the keynote, i thought it was just bluff. Five years sounded way too much in tech years. But as years passed by nothing compared to the iphone came, now, exactly five years later, samsung is already building phones just as good as the iphone, if not better is some regards. Google has also caught up but with software, jelly bean 4.1 is just as smooth as the iphone UI.

The big question is now that apple has some real competition in the phone area, how are they going to handle it. I mean how are they going to add features to iOS and still preserve its philosophy. iOS is about simplicity and elegance.

Are they going to continue on the same path as now and just let the iphone fade away?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I would disagree! Android is still far to fragmented and it's apps seem thrown together for my liking! Until this is solved I'm not interested!

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Have you been hiding under a rock?

Apple has done nothing but add features since the first release. Over 200 in 5 alone.

Apps
    Multitasking
    Folders
    Books/newspapers
    Siri
    Social integration

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

You are simply repeating what you've been programmed to believe.

Anyone that _knows_ how the Android OS is built, understands that the word "fragmentation" has been turned into a single buzzword by the haters & iOS camp, to be used as an attack on Android.

When in reality, it's each version of Android as it's been on a continuing & rapid development path.

Furthermore one doesn't have to have the latest version to enjoy a great Android experience. There will always be a newer version. No different than any other OS.

So before you spread misinformation, which reflects poorly on you & reflects you're lack of knowledge, think again.

• This post composed & sent via iPhone 4S •

5. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

The iPhone is just fine. The iPhone 5 will be just fine as well. Keep it simple Apple and I will purchase the new one. Go the rout of the Android phones and I will look else where. ;)

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Android no longer has UI lag. If you're worried about fragmentation, get a Nexus device. They're always supported by new Android versions and are also favorites at places like XDA-Developer. This phone (with normal battery) will last me a day of relatively heavy use.

7. iHelios macrumors member

Just the versions of the OS? You, sir, are misinformed.

8. Indy21 macrumors 6502

That got me to wondering...where else would you go?! LoL

RIM?

I think not, lol :D

9. skidbubble macrumors 6502

So if they go the route of the Android phones, you will look at the Android phones???

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Try re-reading the post that you are responding to.

If you cannot understand it, get someone to help you.. it's self explanatory, and completely accurate.

11. batting1000 macrumors 604

This is true, but apparently it's not enough for some people. Not sure why.

12. SR71 macrumors 68000

See, but the problem is, he's right. ICS was released nearly a year ago and is only on around 10% of all Android phones. In a year. That's ridiculous. Jellybean was just released. How long will it take for manufacturers to get Jelly bean on their phones? Probably a whole 'nother year. Most Android phones are still on Gingerbread. And don't even tell me that is is just me being misinformed, apple-biased, trolling, or whatever you may call it. This is fact and all you need to do is a simple google search to reiterate these facts.

There is NO WAY you can say that Android isn't fragmented, sorry.

13. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Android is fragmented folks. Simply read any thread about what a developer needs to do to to prepare for the myriad of models and sizes. That being said it's an extra cost or burden but clearly not insurmountable.

As for iOS there's not fading at all. Much like Apple was years ahead with the original iPhone they are ahead in developing a nice ecosystem with stores and the ability to sling media around.

They're not 5 years ahead but they don't need to be because they've got incredible inertia.

Oh an another thing. There is this mythos that is being spoken about here that is false. iOS didn't grab such huge marketshare because it it rarely lags. It did so because in addition to being fluid it is also the easiest of Phone UI to pick up for the masses. Just because Android doesn't lag as much anymore doesn't suddenly mean people start tossing iPhones to the side.

Those of us that actually sell phones to consumers will have our own anecdotes but in the end the primary reason why I see people giving up their Android phones is not lag but overall clunky behavior (which is likely due to Android 2.3 running on old hardware) and a overly complex UI.

14. majkom macrumors 65816

Please, anyone, do not believe this post... I really hate do rid fanboys claiming:
    - UI lag is no more - it is still there
    - buy Nexus device and you will be all right - LOL friend did so and 2 days he was cursing google - if anyone believes that life with Nexus is similar to life with iPhone, believe me, it is not
    - XDA developers - lol, hacking the phone to get basic functionality and basic level of usability (and truly, you will never get it)

Simply, no, nexus is no answer to iPhone... if you are looking for platform wits sd card and mass storage (only real arguments used by droid fanboys), choose droid, but if you are looking for usability, nolan UI, features working as promised, don't even think about android

15. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Even if you are still on gingerbread you still get the latest version of Gmail, maps, and all of the other Google apps. The play store is also updated. Those apps are separate from the is unlike apple.

And that install base of ice cream sandwich has probably close to doubled in the past few weeks. The Droid razr/maxx and the sprint galaxy sii both have received their android 4.0 updates. Almost every sii varient has 4.0.

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

On the latest version which will only be available for a few percent of users. And requires beefy hardware.

Also, Android 4.1 is NOT even on Google's own stats yet:
    http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

17. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

It doesn't require beefy hardware at all. Its the same requirements as gingerbread and ics. Even the original Motorola Droid has a functional ics rom as does the nook color with very similar internals. The Xoom is getting an official update and that went on sale when the iPad 1 was out.

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I do realize that the way Android is developed and distributed is open and optional to each individual handset maker. Most iPhone users do not understand these fundamentals.

For example let's use HTC, they are free to choose which version of the Android OS they ship on their phones.

It's up to the customer to decide which brand of handset, they choose to buy. Much like choosing a color, the version of Android OS that comes on the phone is no secret. It's clearly labeled on the box, and if the customer has done any shopping whatsoever, they know what their choices are.

Therefore calling "fragmentation" is simply a way to bash a platform that individuals feel threatened by, or simply do not like.

The press and various writers are just as guilty. They cling to the popular expression "Fragmentation".

It's the same way they literally invented the expression "Death-Grip" when they chose to bash Apple, and further invented the expression "Antennagate"

This is nothing more than simple manipulation of words.

However I do see how you could have the opinion you do, since not everyone has a good clear understanding of the English Language, especially when it comes to Semantics.

For further clarification and definition of "Semantics" click here: http://goo.gl/kiXxu

19. Mortalias macrumors 6502

Mortalias

Believe what you want, but iPhone is on the verge of major trouble.

Android has caught up in every area that once separated the two: battery life, design, UI, reliability.

Apple must innovate... and I personally hope they knock it outta the park again!

20. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

You couldn't resist, could you?

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

People can believe what they want to believe and it doesn't have to go further than that. If a lot of people believe the same thing it isn't necessarily a conspiracy or cult. I assume there is a Coke forum where people participate because they like Coke. When the mention they don't like Pepsi, I wonder if the Pepsi supporters come in and accuse the Coke people of being programmed or part of an Coke camp.

Even worse. The handsets are not being upgraded. Android Owners Left Behind and Android Orphans: Visualizing a Sad History of Support.

22. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Gotcha. So the availability of numerous phones available each running a different, old OS (the vast majority of which that can NOT run the latest and greatest out of the box) is a choice, not fragmentation... right. :rolleyes:

23. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

Of course the original iPhone was fluid. Only thing it could do was call people!

You have been in Steve Jobs' reality distortion field for too long.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

If that is your agrument go look at the crap in the Apple App store. Most of the Apps in any app store no matter the platform are crap. Saying that there are a 1000 quality apps in the Apple app store would be being really generous.

considering it was released OTA AFTER that last state point or right before it not really that fair.

25. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Ahh but I can pay for that crap universal app and it'll look good on my iPhone and my iPad. With android I have always found and still find hardware issues be it screen size/ratio to just being unplayable/useable because the hardware isn't suitable!