Stewart and O'Reilly debate 2012

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FrankieTDouglas, Oct 7, 2012.

1. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Didn't see anyone talking about the recent debate between these two. It was actually pretty pleasant and interesting. If you agree with one or the other more, at least it was civil and faaaaaar more entertaining than the recent presidential debate. In fact, I even think our politicians could stand to take a few notes on how to have a political conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A051B-uPopM

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I know, they were flogging this "death match" on Jon's Thursday-night show.

But OMG, one hour, 33 minutes!!!!

I'll have to put some coffee on after din-din.

3. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Yes, I enjoyed it. Our real presidential debates simply make me uncomfortable. This was actually rather fun. I was struck by how much Bill seemed like a guy I wouldn't mind having a beer with. Loved his sense of humor and Jon was great too. His rising platform cracked me up. You could tell with all of the disagreement there was mutual respect. I watched the whole thing this morning and even though it is an hour and a half long, it goes by quicker when you're watching it.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm in the middle of watching it. Very entertaining. I think Stewart is making O'reilly look like a fool.

5. malman89 macrumors 68000

I started it this morning, but then realized the length and dropped it. Just about wrapping it up right now. Really enjoyable.

I knew Bill isn't quite the guy he is on the air, but even still he was quite entertaining and likeable. John is obviously as smart and witty with a much greater delivery, but it was a good back and forth.

If only the real debate could be 1/8th as informative, blunt, and entertaining.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Jon Stewart is an arrogant, childish, jackass.

Did you click the right link?

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It could be worse. He could be an angry old white man who hates everyone - except other angry old white white men.

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Bush is gone, remember? ;)

9. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I think the O'Reilly we see on The Factor is the O'Reilly audiences expect. He's brash, arrogant, antagonistic, a bully to his guests, and he utterly fails any fact checking litmus test. But that's the kind of infotainment audiences tune in for, they want to see somebody supposedly advocating for them, who speaks to their anger. I love seeing him opposite Stewart, who is every bit a class act, because O'Reilly doesn't have to play the O'Reilly that hosts The Factor. He can just be himself, and when he is he's a more interesting, well-rounded person, instead of just a talking point yelling machine.

I would love to see the two of them do a show together.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

[​IMG]

Oooooooooooooh!

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Thanks for the laugh. [​IMG]

Funny enough, that's how I see Dennis Miller. :)

12. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Then add unfunny to that list for Miller.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He's also an intellectual thug in my opinion, but that's another classification altogether.

Something on the order of Mitt. He's also far from stupid, which makes him doubly dangerous.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I used to like Dennis Miller before he joined the Church of Fox.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Who uses truth to humble the arrogant right. Actually no, using this definition: " 2)Jackass, n. A stupid or idiotic person", Stewart does not qualify. I thought he kicked ass and I also thought O'Reilly was more personable than he is on his own show hosted by Fox.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We hope you enjoy your stay on ******** Mountain.

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I finally got around to watching this. It makes me said that Presidential debates don't cover the issues that Stewart and O'Reilly did. Both are very smart individuals and they demonstrated an ability to reach mutual understanding better than anyone in politics. I don't think either made the other look dumb; rather, both elaborated on their ideologies while legitimately considering the other's. You really got to see both as individual people and not part of a show that is part of an organization. And while they discussed personal life details of the other, it never got personal to a level of a negative undertone and lasting anger. To me that is damned fine debating. Notice O'Reilly who opposes universal health care did agree that the system is currently broken and that further government regulation should occur (though private sector driven)...that's huge. If politics worked in a fashion that they did, perhaps we'd be able to get things done.

----------

You must have watched the wrong debate.

18. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Ahh arrogant, the word the ignorant apply to those with knowledge an expertise in order to grant value to their own ignorance.