Stick or Twist......Sell now or wait?? ipad 32gb ----> iPad 3???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMoo, Jan 23, 2012.

  1. iMoo macrumors regular

    iMoo

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    #1
    I currently still have the original ipad 32gb and i have never got it out of my hand, if i have it's replaced with my iphone 4 :O)

    Now i love my ipad and also the fact that it can be jailbroken and I'm pretty sure the ipad 3 will take forever to jailbreak if it can be at all this time around with Geohot now having connections/employed by Apple.

    See my original iPad does probably everything i want it to do and still think watching Youtube clips looks brilliant and the internet and other functions run smooth enough. The only thing that currently dissapoints me and i get to see this because it's jailbroken, is that some apps slowly start to use up all the ram and then the app crashes. Was this something that stopped when people moved up to the ipad 2 with it having more ram? Have apps that crashed on iPad 1 stopped crashing now on iPad 2?

    I hope that it's going to be a big upgrade this time around and not half the things eg. retina and a 1.5ghz dual core and thats it. I'm hoping they can improve everything...Quad core, double resolution, least a gig memory, camera (especially front...maybe front and back equal to make Skype etc better in HD) and improvement in graphics also would be nice.

    With Android rapidly getting on the heels of Apple and Apple having a yearly cycle, i hope the go the full hog and make sure that a few months down the line Android doesn't start grabbing their market share.

    We can only wait and see, but for now i'm not quite sure if i'm sticking or twisting....probably will twist cos like shiny new toys, however hardest part is if to go a month without my iPad 1 (possibly get around £290 on flea bay) or wait for iPad 3 details to be sure but then if it's aggressivly priced lose out on a chunk of resale value (possibly only get £220 if it is full hog and priced cheaper) ????????

    i do love my iPad but the memory thing does niggle me and i've decided that i'm definatly going to keep my iPhone 4 as i can't think of anything that they could add that would intrest me to upgrade it.
    If the iPad 3 is just a half heartedly upgrade from the 2 playing the 'improve here this year and there the next' just to keep trickling out improvments to maximise there pockets like with the graphics cards... I just hope they don't hold back and everything they have the means to improve they do and don't go 'Lets slightly increace processor, give em better screen and we shall save the graphics for next time so we can sell one based on better at gaming'. Hope it's marketed at iPad 3 and not just 2S.

    Thanks if you got this far, just wondered if anyone else is in same position sitting on an ipad 1 and what their thoughts are, obv it's down to me in the end, just wondered what others thought!??
     
  2. poloponies macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #2

    So to summarize, "if the iPad 3 has sufficiently improved features that appeal to you versus your iPad 1 then you'll upgrade, and if it doesn't then you won't." Do we really need to clutter up the forum with these "duh" threads?
     
  3. iMoo thread starter macrumors regular

    iMoo

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    #3
    Wasn't intending to clutter that's why i put it into the general thread and not any specific one. The guys at work and my girlfriend have no interest in anything to do with Apple so was mainly put on here for conversation reasons with people like minded.

    Summary would sort of be just:-

    Anyone who has iPad 1 who are thinking of still keeping it?
    When moving from iPad 1 to 2 have apps stopped crashing due to memory being used up?
    And is it best to sell now or wait in regards to how much of a hit the resale value will take as currently iPad is only around £100 less on fleabay compared to the 2 so good resale at the moment.

    Wasn't intended to upset anyone, where else can i talk Apple if it's not acceptable on an Apple forum?:eek:
     
  4. toondw macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2009
    Location:
    Northumberland, UK
    #4
    Personally I don't think you would get much if you sell the iPad on eBay after release of the ipad 3 as eBay will be flooded with cheap iPad 2's.

    I think you should sell it now and keep the cash towards a 3. Regardless of the spec it will still blow the original iPad out of the water.

    Can you live without it for a couple of months? If so then you know what to do!

    Also, the iPad 2 is a big step up from the 1 in my opinion so if the 2 would fit the bill get a referb model from apple and leave the 3 until the 4.

    Decisions decisions :D
     
  5. iMoo thread starter macrumors regular

    iMoo

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    #5
    Thanks mate, really good thoughts n sounds more sensible. I could live without (though would miss) my ipad for a few months and after ebay fees probably would have around £240-250 towards the iPad 3.

    iPad 2 i'm not going to be interested in as the cash isn't a major issue, just like to be sensible with it.

    I never had a go with the iPad 2 and didn't know it was such an improvement over the original...in hindsight glad i haven't known this and been tempted with it. Is it just the speed that is better?

    But yeah, though iv'e grown attached to my iPad, think that could actually be the best thing to do and then put money towards the middle option of the iPad 3. Just will lose my jailbreak tweaks and also now the novelty of grabbing many apps, i know which ones actually deserve to be bought.
     
  6. pdawg macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    #6
    I have the original 64 G iPad and will be seriously considering getting an iPad 3, when it is offered. I did not upgrade to the iPad 2 as I did not think the updates were that spectacular for me. If the rumors have some bit of truth, the features of the iPad 3 are pretty tempting to me.
     
  7. macbookman83 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Location:
    New York
    #7
    If you don't care about Jailbreaking, then sell now and wait.......


    Although you then fall into the neverending Apple cycle of buy and selling for the "next best thing"
     
  8. iMoo thread starter macrumors regular

    iMoo

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    #8
    Yeah that is true, if my apps didn't keep on running out of memory and crashing i'd probably sit on my iPad for another year. But thinking for the £200-£300 more once i sold my iPad then the 3rd should keep me in good stead sor quite a few years.
    But i do ask myself, apart from a prettier screen what will it offer more that i actually need as for using the internet and youtube im managing at the moment.
     
  9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

    Stealthipad

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2010
    #9
    You current iPad will never be worth more than it is today!

    Common "cents":eek:
     
  10. iMoo thread starter macrumors regular

    iMoo

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    #10
    Thanks for the replies guys. i have reluctantly put it up for auction on fleabay to end this Sunday so hopefully will get a decent price for it as they seem to fetch between £255 - £290 over last few days and thats midweek. Just hop Apple don't announce before the weekend now :O)

    If the iPad 3 isn't what i want or is delayed for too long, i can always buy back later anyhow. I have my PC and iPhone 4 for the rest.

    Thanks once again :D
     

Share This Page