Stickin' with your iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daitalianjob, Oct 16, 2012.

1. daitalianjob macrumors regular

I finally just got my White iPhone 5 64GB yesterday, and as soon as I opened it, I did the close inspection. Problem is, there is a small chip/dent right on the edge of the bezel...I knew it'd happen. Everything else is great, though. No rattling, no scuffs on the aluminum back, no loose ends, etc. I'm gonna stick with the phone since all I have been hearing is how the replacement phones are worse. I know I am focusing too much on it, but I shouldn't have to worry about a damaged phone that is brand new out of the box...Is anyone else sticking with their phone even if it has the smallest of deformities?

2. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Are you planning on putting it in a case? If so, then I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy it. Otherwise, you can always take it back to the Apple Store, and see if they have one to exchange it for, but inspect the new ones before completing the swap.

I know a number of people complain because they think that people are being too picky with this stuff, but I compare it to buying a new car. Most people wouldn't just "accept" a dent or ding in a brand new car, so why should we live with one in a "premium" phone. If it bothers you, I say switch it. If it doesn't bother you, then that's fine too. Your purchase, your choice! Good luck with your decision. :)

3. zone23 macrumors 68000

You know I saw some of the pictures people were posting and I though hhmm wonder if mine has that.. so I got out my MAGnifying glass and sure enough it had this little tiny mark on one of the corners. Never gave it a second thought..

Not saying some people don't have legitimate cases just feel most of its blown way out of proportion.

That said if it had a "junk" missing from the side I would certainly be getting a replacement.

4. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I agree with kmichalec..

I go without a case, so I was relieved after I closely inspected my phone..

For how much we pay for our toys, I would expect the quality to be great right out of the box :apple:

5. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

If you were buying a new car and as the dealer was bringing it around after washing it and scratched and dented it, would you say "Ah I am putting a bra on it" :eek:

I know a phone isn't a new car but, when I spend the money I work hard for and save for something I want I don't just accept less than pristine condition when buying something brand new, but hey that's just me...

6. daitalianjob thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I'm pretty torn about what to do. I don't want to go exchange it and have to do it again 4 more times because the replacements are worse than my original. I am going with a case. I use the SwitchEasy Colors case on mine. I also plan on using a sleeve here and there, and I plan on getting another case some time in the future. Just weighing my options and also thinking to the future for resale value (in two years haha).

7. daitalianjob thread starter macrumors regular

called Apple support and got a Case # so if I go into the Apple store they'll replace it and it won't count as one of my "instances" (I think that's the word he used) against my AppleCare+...still contemplating going in.

8. QuasarZ macrumors member

If there are no other issues I'd think hard about keeping it. The replacement could be worse or have other more serious "usage" flaws vs cosmetic. (Camera problems, data problems, call quality, etc)

9. kalexn macrumors 6502

If there are no other issues I would really keep it. I'd love to see a picture, how big is this really? Mine had a few marks on the back but everything else worked fine. I am pretty OCD too, but I just couldn't see returning something for such a little issue. The people in the factory are humans too, nothing is 100% perfect. I know people want it to be, but I really don't think it can be no matter how many inspections or tests are put in place.

10. daitalianjob thread starter macrumors regular

True. It is minor, which is why I'm seeking advice. I appreciate the input and I am leaning towards keeping it. I always take care of my things so I am not worried about further damage. Just wish I didn't have the issue to begin with.

11. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Mine arrived today, there is a nick in the bezel about 1 inch up the right side v close to the screen. Also some dust under the screen nearly a cm by cm in from the left bottom corner.

Debating what to do about it myself, the soonest Genius appointment I can now book is the 20th but I fly to England that day for a week and the appointment is for 4 hours after I fly so that isn't particularly feasible.

12. darster Suspended

After about a month you won't even care about a small nick. Got my new car in June. A month later got my first stone chip in paint. Applied a little touch up paint. You can see it if you look closely. At this point, I don't care.

13. rollingstart Guest

Exactly. Mine came with a very visible nick on the chamfered edge, right next to the power button. I obsessed over it for a couple of days, but I'm over it now. The phone is working fine in every other way, so it's a keeper.

14. lawlbringer macrumors regular

I think the thing that bugs people is that there is indeed a difference between wear and tear damage by the user and the item coming like it's already been dropped. Not everyone will ding up their phone even if it's naked, and TBH some of these factory marks look worse than something you'd do to it yourself.

I got a new 2012 Civic last October, and I've already been hit twice while parked. I was upset, but I got over it. I'll be sure to park farther away from SUV's that are driven by careless women drivers. If the car came like it was already hit, it would've been a different story.

If you don't mind it, then great. I'm not going to sit here and flame anyone that feels that way, but I won't flame someone who wants a phone that looks 100% new either.

15. the caveman macrumors 6502

My white 64 att came scuffed outta the box and i have few days left to decide if im gonna keep it or go through a hassle of the exchange.

16. eddiexhart macrumors regular

eddiexhart

I was gonna stick with my Black iPhone 5 despite the little glue on the rubber band part and a knick on the side but then I realized the lock button rattles, pretty bad actually. I dunno what to do tho, I wanted to try to get white but the more I talk to my friends and everyone they all say they want the white one so I'm seriously now gonna stay with Black but the rattling kinda sucks. Its like when I'm playing or texting with the sound off, and I move the phone, it rattles.

Keep in mind, I havent dropped it or anything. I've baby'd it. lol So idk

17. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I got rid of my iPhone 5 about after a week. Mine came defective. Other than that, I hated the phone. Felt like a piece of crap and the form factor TO ME was not practical. It was a blessing going back to my 4S!!!

Gonna stick with the iPhone 4S until the Galaxy S IV hits next May. :D