Sticky situation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eves apple, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Eves apple macrumors member

Ive had the iPhone 4 since around launch time, didn't upgrade to the 4S but just stuck it out with the 4. Now, I love the thing except for the phone part, it's just a massive pain, 4Ss I've tried have the same annoying quirks and I've started looking for alternatives to an iPhone. :eek:
    Trouble is I have no experience of any other modern smart phones, friends have iPhones or blackberrys and I get on with the latter even less.

Can some of our members that use others (even the dreaded Samsung phones) help out and give me some recomendations please, I'll of course be waiting to see what the iPhone 5 is like but I'd like to know what else there is out there, it must be able to be backed up using a mac of course.

2. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

You gave us zero information on what your issues are with the phone. So how can we make recommendations?

3. sixteen12 macrumors regular

He says he loves, except the phone part. I think its pretty clear he's having an issue with the colour of the phone.

I don't know what he means though. My iPhone calls people as well as my Bold 9900 (work phone)...actually I'd argue better since the Bold gets really hot after about 10 minutes of voice, and as well as my Galaxy S 2 with ICS.

It has a dialer that then connects to a network and makes a call, what issues are you having?

4. Eves apple thread starter macrumors member

The i part is OK, its just an iPod touch with a phone grafted on to it, its the phone part is the issue.

its terrible, aside form that the fact I can't usually make or receive calls as the signal drops and climbs randomly whilst standing in the same position, if someone manages to actually get though to me the iPhone ignores my fingers when I try to answer it, similarly if I try to end a call I can't hang up and have to usually power off the phone, the SMS texting function is worse than my old motarola razor and hugely clunky compared to any old nokia
    I want something that I can tether my iPad to and be backed up with my mac.

Sorry to offend the massive fanboy base here but some people actually need a phone to make calls, not just to play with waiting for the bus.

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

You didn't offend anyone's delicate sensibilities, you just didn't give specifics as to what your issues were. Saying the "phone" is the problem doesn't help anyone, as a phone could have any number of issues. if you want recommendations for other phones that don't share the same issues, you need to be specific, thats all anyone was saying. Jeeze, calm down.

Now that you've provided some more detail (although jsut saying the texting is clunky is still a bit non-specific, but whatever), i'm sure people can come in with recommendations. Although it sounds like your problems are not normal and may be a defective unit.

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Well thanks for giving us some more information.

It appears you have a reception problem... network or phone. I forget how many million of these they have in service with most people doing fine, but...

You have to POWER OFF YOUR PHONE? Come on now. If somebody actually had to power off the phone to use it, you should be returning it. Your phone is a lemon.

Texting is clunky compared to Razor. Come on again. Are you for real? Either you are using it wrong, or this whole thing is a troll.

7. crs.one macrumors member

+1.

I would say its defective. Especially from the random signal issue. Although I get plenty of signal issues in dc. It's the price I pay for being on AT&T.

The closest I've experienced to having trouble ending a call is when I've had the phone to my face frequently and the glass gets oily. I wipe it down and then hit end. I would imagine most phones with glass surfaces will experience the same to some degree. I don't experience it much because I use a headset.

Can't speak to the texting. It's safe to assume your software is updated?

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

If anything, it's this and calling anyone here a 'fanboy' that is offensive.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Do you have a case on it? A poorly fitting case can interfere with the proximity sensor and "confuse" the phone on whether it's against your ear or not. Obviously that wouldn't affect other phones without a case, so as others have posted you should make a Genius appt. and let them look at it.