Still 8mp cam?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Megapixels aren't everything. This is why I have a digital camera that is only 3.2MP from 2001 and it can take clearer and more sharper pictures than my 5S.

rockitdog

macrumors 68020
Mar 25, 2013
Megapixels aren't everything but 8MP is getting to be a little ridiculous, IMO. Time to step it up just a bit.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Megapixels aren't everything but 8MP is getting to be a little ridiculous, IMO. Time to step it up just a bit.
Only if they make the sensor bigger.

And since people are already freaking out about how much the lens protrudes, I about that's a great idea.

I love having more megapixels on my larger cameras. But that's exactly the point: they're larger cameras. Not gonna happen here.

Jimmy James

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Since the 3G I've been saying that it would be better to focus on sensor and optics, rather than MP count. It looks like Apple have been following this pattern. IMO they have the best camera BECAUSE of it.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I would have like 12MP because sometimes I need to crop to fix composition, but I'm good with 8MP.

eclipse01

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I remember they said that with the HTC One too and HTC moto x (MP don't matter) then they ended up being the worst on the market.

with that said, I think the higher the mp the more mb's the pictures are and its getting really annoying having 5-8mb pictures.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
Huge iPhone fanboy here, but I've seen pics taken with a Samsung Galaxy S5, and they were the best pics I've ever seen from a phone, hands down. I don't think the iPhone 6's camera can match them.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
You do realize that the cameras found in phones that claim multiple tens of megapixels actually typically only capture the equivalent of 5 megapixels of detail when used in the real world right? (if this does not make sense to you, read up on "lines per picture height" and "modular transfer function" as it relates to cameras, and then read up on how adding noise and performing noise reduction processing in an image reduces resolving power)

I'm a digital photographer that has been published in places like the cover of Wired magazine, and it always hurts my brain when people who have no idea how cameras work talk about megapixels.

Two thirds of smartphone photos are taken in low light and on average the iPhone 6+ users will have the clearest and sharpest photo library of any flagship phone. Read that a few times if you need to. Megapixels do not equal detail, never have, and never will. Here's why:

Canon 1DX Low Light, original resolution: 5479x3652

Galaxy S5 Low Light, original resolution: 5312x2988

Last edited:

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
You can have a 40 MP cam and it will look just as good at 8 with the right tech.

But the front camera is the problem!

jburns

macrumors regular
May 1, 2007
NC-USA
WOW sucks. Still 8mp
A bit over 10 years ago, I spent over 4K for a Canon 1D MKII. Keep in mind that was just the camera body. By itself it could do nothing. It was the primary working pro sports camera of its time and many Sports Illustrated covers and photos were taking with that camera. It was, and still is, 8MP. Eight million really BIG pixels. More than plenty.

A shot of my daughter, in red, from that camera.

Last edited:

MistrSynistr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2014
One thing I'm curious about, this whole protruding camera thing supposedly was for interchangeable lenses...but I don't recall seeing anything about that...

Did they seriously just design the new lens to stick out on purpose as a design element and added nothing really to the camera, but wanted this phone thinner for no reason?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
A bit over 10 years ago, I spent over 4K for a Canon 1D MKII. Keep in mind that was just the camera body. By itself it could do nothing. It was the primary working pro sports camera of its time and many Sports Illustrated covers and photos were taking with that camera. It was, and still is, 8MP. Eight million really BIG pixels. More than plenty.

A shot of my daughter, in red, from that camera.

excellent shot!