Still confused on what the proper sleep settings should be on Mojave

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Benz63amg, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Benz63amg macrumors 68030

Benz63amg

On my 2011 iMac with El Capitan i had my Display off set to 5 Minutes and Computer Sleep set to 3 Hours (Computer would automatically go to sleep in 3 hours if no activity is detected), Ever since i got my 2019 iMac with Mojave im puzzeled as to what i should have the Sleep setting set to because Apple doesn't have a seperate Display Sleep and Computer Sleep settings anymore and i absolutely despise that, I don't want to put the sleep setting on Mojave to 5 Minutes ( to basically put display and computer to sleep within 5 minutes) because sometimes i step away from the computer for more than 5 minutes and i wouldnt' want my iMac to go to sleep and wake up so many times per day,

At this current time i am left with basically setting the sleep setting set to 5 minutes BUT i have "Prevent imac from going to sleep with display off" setting enabled and i basically put the iMac to sleep manually whenever i know i'll be away from the computer for an extended period of time.

What do you guys have the sleep setting set to on Mojave?

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

I never use a timed sleep setting.
    I put it to sleep when I want to do that.
    I do use a screensaver, starts after 30 minutes idle.
    That's all. :cool:

But, I think there's settings there to let you make your own choices -- whatever works for your own needs.
    IMHO, there's not really a "proper sleep setting" -- that's for you to decide.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

System Preferences > Energy Saver

Turn display off after: 10 minutes

Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off
    Enable Power Nap

4. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I have the display set to turn off after 20 minutes. Never sleep the CPU. Works fine.

5. Honza1 macrumors 6502

If you want more controls, you need to use command line and use pmset, use man pmset to figure out what the options are. pmset -g lists current settings.

6. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

I don't understand the bolded part of your post above...
    This is a photo of my Mojave System Pref for Sleep settings.
    In my case...15min for Display and 30min for Computer.

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 7.10.59 PM.png

7. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68030

Benz63amg

Do you even have Mojave installed? That’s not what the energy savings/sleep system preferences screen looks like in Mojave.

This is what it looks like(see attachment)

Attached Files:

8. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

What part of my post, where I said "This is a photo of my Mojave System Pref for Sleep settings" did you not understand?
    Maybe this photo can help.

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 9.24.03 PM.png

9. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68030

Benz63amg

That is NOT what the sleep setting page looks like on Mojave on my 2019 iMac. Apple REMOVED the separate display sleep and computer sleep settings that I used to have on my old iMac that had El Capitan installed on It, What apple essentially did on Mojave is they consolidated the 2 sleep settings(display and computer sleep) into one setting as I explained in the initial post of this thread

10. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

"iMac" All-in-one computer might as well have all-in-one settings.:p

Sorry I can't help more, but everything is as it should be with my MacPro.

11. Honza1 macrumors 6502

FYI:

My Macbook Pro (notebook, integrated display, all-in-one) has just one slider.

My Mac Mini (desktop, separate display) has two sliders.

Both Mojave. Integrated display = one slider. Use command pmset on command line to gain all controls you want. Everything is still there, it is just not exposed to users in the GUI.

12. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68030

Benz63amg

Can you give me the exact instructions on how to enable all the sliders on my 2019 iMac? Is modifying safe to do so or can it harm anything with my computer? Which command line would reverse the change?

Does MacOSX Catalina have the same restricted Sliders?(because if they improved sleep settings control in Catalina then I’ll just wait for Catalina to be released)

13. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

That setting has nothing to do with integrated display. It's the chipset (hardware) in use. The separate settings do not show in newer Macs. If you want those settings accessible in the Energy Saver prefs, you need an older Mac.
    (I don't think that separate setting for the Display Sleep has existed on any Mac released since 2014 (?) )
    Still appears on older Macs, even with the latest macOS, so it's determined by which Mac you have, not the system that is installed.
    However, with a bit of research in the man for the Terminal command used to modify the energy saver settings (I forget what the command is called), I am pretty sure you can get something pretty close to what you want.
    (OK, short search: It's the "pmset" command, and a couple of others, such as "caffeinate" and "system setup" shell. This page should help you out.
    I don't know what difference there is going to be with terminal commands in Catalina (macOS 10.15) as Apple is changing to a different default terminal shell, so I expect that some commands will be entered differently. Someone with various shells experience can respond if that has changed. Not my area of expertise.

14. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68030

Benz63amg

Thanks for the response, I rather not modify any internal settings with the command line to potentially mess the system up. How do you personally have your sleep settings set to on Mojave?

15. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

To echo @DeltaMac, Apple sorta spells it out in one of their help notes: Energy Saver screen is model dependent, and have examples of the variations of the screen one might see.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202824

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just to expand a little on what others mentioned... here is a copy/pasta of an older post of mine that explains a bit. You went from a pre-Haswell Mac to a post Haswell Mac, so that setting is gone and no longer needed.

---
    Newer Macs don't really sleep, but they go into a very low power mode much like sleep. Hence the word "sleep" does not appear in the settings.

If you set it like in my screenshot it will effectively sleep in three hours.

View attachment 830784

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/06/how-os-x-mavericks-works-its-power-saving-magic/

This started with the Haswell chipsets and OS X Mavericks. Here is an article about it.

17. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

My Energy Saver settings? (2012 mini, Mojave)
    Display Sleep - 1 hour; System Sleep - Never
    misc settings - all off.
    As I have said before - I don't use automatic sleep, and typically put my Mac to sleep when I am away from the computer.
    (IMHO - sleep/wake multiple times a day does not affect the life of the computer, and, in fact, puts less stress on the system, compared to powering off, then boot back up from cold.
    How many times a day do I put my Mac to sleep? Maybe 4 times at minimum - I can't guess at the most sleep, but could easily be 100 on some days. Sleep/wake cycles, per se, have no measurable affect on the total life of the system.

18. davidlv macrumors 65816

To sum up the terminal commands related to sleep; (all collected from MacRumors);
    Sleep settings, The man page for "pmset" is a useful reference. To view it, type man pmset in a Terminal window, or x-man-page://1/pmset in a browser window

pmset -g Use this command in terminal window to show your current sleep settings
    Files; All changes made through pmset are saved in a persistent preferences file (per-system, not per-user) at /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist
    System Preferences Energy Saver modifies the same file
    Scheduled power on/off events are stored separately in
    /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.AutoWake.plist
    hibernatemode = 0 (binary 0000) by default on supported desktops. The system will not back memory up to persistent storage. The system must wake from the contents of memory; the system will lose context on power loss. This is, historically, plain old sleep.
    hibernatemode = 3 (binary 0011) by default on supported portables. The system will store a copy of memory to persistent storage (the disk), and will power memory during sleep. The system will wake from memory, unless a power loss forces it to restore from disk image.
    hibernatemode = 25 (binary 0001 1001) is only settable via pmset. The system will store a copy of memory to persistent storage (the disk), and will remove power to memory. The system will restore from disk image. If you want "hibernation" - slower sleeps, slower wakes, and better battery life, you should use this setting.

Open a Terminal shell (in the /Applications/Utilities folder)
    pmset -g (will list all the current power settings/device settings)
    1. set hibernate mode to 0 (normal sleep, data kept in ram, nothing written to disk)
    sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

There's a known hibernation issue with 2013-2014 MacBook Air and Pro. The best-known solution is to run "sudo pmset hibernatemode 0 standby 0" in Terminal. If you are using the Mojave OS you will also need to run "sudo pmset autopoweroff 0" after the first command.
    For High Sierra use: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 standby 0 autopoweroff 0
    2. delete the now unnecessary sleep file to regain disk space equal to memory,
    You can use the Go to folder menu to delete the file, found in the /var/vm/ folder, and named sleepimage. Reboot and simply delete that file,. Or use this:
    sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage or sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage
    The sleep image file is actually in /private/var/vm/ but /var/vm/ is a symbolic link to that location.
    Optional: Create a blank zero-byte file so the OS cannot rewrite the file:
    sudo touch /private/var/vm/sleepimage, Make that file immutable:
    sudo chflags uchg /private/var/vm/sleepimage
    If pmset -g shows: autopoweroff 1,
    disable this automatic hibernation mode (happens even if hibernation mode is set to 0 on the Mac mini 2012 and iMac)
    sudo pmset -a autopoweroffdelay 86400
    sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0
    when any late model Mac is connected to AC power, it goes into a deeper "safe sleep" mode after 4 hours if there's no activity from wireless/Ethernet/USB devices. It's waking up from safe sleep that's causing issues with Thunderbolt. You can disable safe sleep by bringing up Terminal and entering the two commands shown above:

4. set the safe sleep timer (standbydelay) to 20 hours, default is 4200 (1.67 hr)
    sudo pmset -a standbydelay 72000
    5. sudo pmset -a standby 0
    Bit 3 of hibernatemode encourages the dynamic pager to page out inactive pages prior to hibernation. So swap can be used even after sleeping (even though hibernatemode is 0, so bit 3 is off). Disable this new, possibly buggy behavior by switching off standby as shown above: