still having IRS problems...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by squeeks, Jan 20, 2011.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Well guys, 6 months later and I still can not convince the IRS that i have never owned another home.

For those of you who don’t remember, I first received a letter from the IRS back in August saying my new home buyer credit was denied and I owe the government back $8000 plus interest for a total of $8200 something.

After repeated calls I still can not find anyone at the IRS who can give me a real reason of why my rebate was denied.

It doesn’t help that the only number available to call and speak to someone is answered by a person at a call center who has absolutely no access to your records to tell you anything except what the letter I i received already tells me.

Placing a request for the actually examiner to call simply results in a no call..even though i was told they are required to contact you 3 days after you make the request. Guess what..its been 10. Even after calling back wondering why i didnt get a call i was told that even if they did call me they would not be able to tell me anything.

They want proof that I sold my previous home, well this is quite hard to do seeing as how ive NEVER owned a previous home.

Now they want proof of the relationship with my wife whom i married AFTER taxes were filed last year..why they want this is beyond me.

The stupidity of the IRS really makes me worry for the fate of our country.

If anyone has any advice on what to do I’d love to hear it.

I'm in the process of mailing them ANOTHER letter trying to explain the situation but i feel it will simply end up with the same result of them wanting me to prove I sold a home I never owned...

2. Queso macrumors G4

Same old ****, different country. Revenue services the world over haven't got a clue.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Are you anywhere near a satellite office of the IRS? If not, are you near an office of the Florida Department of Revenue? The main offices usually have a section within that deals directly with the IRS, and they might be able to put you into direct contact with someone.

If that doesn't work, send me a PM.

4. Squadleader macrumors regular

YOU NEED A TAX ATTORNEY !!!! Not advice from this forum...Hmm, I guess that means you can't follow this advice either....:D

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Some of us might be tax attorneys...

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

7. 184550 Guest

Exactly, I would have gotten a Lawyer on day one.

Don't waste anymore time, get a lawyer. Today.

8. Squadleader, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

Squadleader macrumors regular

Business slow in East St. Louis..?? :D

9. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

first thing I did was talk to my CPA about it, he seems to think its just a matter of getting them to straighten out the records to get this corrected...

I sent them a letter explaining what I thought the problem was but after talking to them on the phone again apparently they "never got that letter" even though they got other stuff that i included with it...so i sent them another one...if i dont get it resolved this time, then i'll get an attorney.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well make sure you send the letter certifided mail. That way there is no way that they can claim that did not get it.

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Yup. Everything they have sent me is certified so might as well do it back to them.

12. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

just the oppisite for me, nothing they have sent me at this point is certified, however it does say if i dont respond they will send me a defiency notice via certified mail

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I work for the government, so no.

14. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

Unfortunately i think that even if i go to one of the satellite offices they will just tell me what the people on the phone have been telling me, that they don’t have access to my file, that its being dealt with at the Memphis location and I need to talk directly to them.

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Make sure you respond to anything they send you, especially if there are deadlines for filing a protest. If you can get past the automatically generated documents and into the appeals/protest system, you protect your rights, and will eventually get someone who can actually help.

If you'd like to discuss more, send me a PM.