Still no way to play directly from an Airport Time Capsule to Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by betman, Dec 8, 2014.

1. betman macrumors regular

I need to install an Apple TV box at my parents' place, but before I do that I want to add a new router as well.

As far as I understand the Airport Time Capsule with 2/3 TB storage still cannot stream stored content directly to Apple TV?

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Still not possible.

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

No, definitely not possible. You can install your iTunes library on time capsule and use it as a network disk for a Mac however. I tried this for awhile, and it works, but the performance isn't very good and there are a number of "gotchas".

I stopped using it that way and definitely would not recommend that setup for someone who is non-technical. You could consider getting them an inexpensive older Mac as a server that runs iTunes all the time however. See this:

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_set_itunes_home_server

4. CWillCalho macrumors newbie

I do this with an external drive. Make sure your library that you save songs in is designated in your iTunes preferences being your time capsule music folder. If it still doesn't work, try changing the name of your computer under Home Sharing (Preferences).

5. 2010mini macrumors 68040

OP,

Where does your parents get their contnt? Is it from iTunes or ripped? If they get their content from iTunes then there is no need for external storage or an extra PC to run as an iTunes server.

They can just stream from the cloud from the Apple TV.

6. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

Still implies they are working on it or might be in the future. I think it's fairly safe to say this will never happen.

7. Alrescha macrumors 68020

My thoughts exactly. Apple has an architecture, and iTunes (in the cloud or on your Mac) is the core. I would not hold my breath expecting this to change.

A.