Still on 3.1.2, can I jb/unlock and still wipe/erase?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fishkorp, Jun 7, 2010.

1. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I know how to jb and unlock via blackra1n and blacksn0w. How can I wipe everything off the phone to sell it without losing the unlock? Thanks :)

2. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

3. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

You can and cant.

If you restore and wipe clean your phone WILL be updated to 3.1.3. BUT. There will be an unlock for 3.1.3 either immediately after or a short time after iPhone 4 is released. Essentially you CANT erase all data off to sell it at this time, but after the new phone comes out, you can.

4. fishkorp thread starter macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Well the phone was already sold, but now the person said he'll only accept it if it's unlocked, haha. Otherwise he wants a refund. What about sn0wbreeze and preserving the baseband, like in the message a few threads down (that I totally overlooked before posting this last night)?

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Smart buyer !

6. Bakakage macrumors 6502

Yeah looks like sn0wbreeze/blacksn0w will do it if you have the old bootrom. Check out these 2 guides. First you do first guide to jailbreak, and you unlock using the second guide.

http://www.redmondpie.com/sn0wbreeze-3.1.3-jailbreak-iphone-3g-3gs-3.1.3/

http://www.redmondpie.com/blacksn0w-rc2-final-for-iphone-3.1.3-unlock-9140472/

7. fishkorp thread starter macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Yup, it's launch day phone, so old bootrom. I'll try it. If it doesn't work I'll refund and resell once a proper 3.1.3/4.0 unlock is out. Thanks all.

8. Bakakage macrumors 6502

Let me how the update works out for you, I'm in the same situation but I won't try it until a week before the IPhone 4 is released.

9. fishkorp thread starter macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I get Error Code (2) when trying to restore the sn0wbreeze IPSW. I'll rebuild it one more time, but if it doesn't work, I'll just refund the dude and wait until dev team releases a proper unlock. I may take a bit of a hit in the amount I get, but that's alright. Better than nothing :)

10. fishkorp thread starter macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Well, gave it one last shot and had success. Had to use native boot Windows (no VMs).

So, when on 3.1.2 I ran blackra1n to jailbreak and blacksn0w to unlock. Then, I used sn0wbreeze to create a custom 3.1.3 IPSW preserving the baseband. Put phone in recovery mode and shift+alt+restore (on my MBP) in iTunes to restore to the sn0wbreeze IPSW. After it was done I verified the baseband wasn't updated. Then I added the pushfix repo in Cydia and download and ran blacksn0w RC2 Final. Phone is now unlocked on 3.1.3 (with 3.1.2 baseband).

So for anyone else in a similar situation, it looks like it worked just fine.

11. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

D*ck buyer. You can't specify your stipulations after something is already sold..

12. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Maybe the seller stated it was unlocked already......

13. fleali88 macrumors regular

on a mac using ImageCapture you can save all of your photos and videos off your iphone and then delete them all at the same time, and you can delete contacts using the address program, and music using itunes, ive done this twice, it takes about 45 mins or so of searching but you can essentially "restore" the iphone with out reinstalling the firmware.

14. cheezebob macrumors member

I have the same problem but have come across what might be a different solution. I have unlocked the phone, but didn't restore it because it would have updated the firmware. However, if I sync the phone with another computer, it prompts me to erase and sync...would this involve updating the firmware? Please answer fast because I need to ship the phone to a buyer soon!