Still on Snow Leopard - can I make the jump to the latest upgrades?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Squirrelflight, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Squirrelflight, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

Squirrelflight macrumors member

Finally purchased 10.7 Lion and am waiting for it to come to me in an email. Got my comp in 2010 so I hope this old gal can handle it - works so well still slower at times but mostly great! I see the new upgrade says you need 10.7 and later, so if I get 10.7 Lion should I be able to make the jump to the latest stuff?

I put this off for so long because Snow Leopard suited my needs just fine. But now Chrome won't upgrade anymore a lot of browsers won't because Snow Leopard is so old. I'd like to get a new comp soon but this computer still works so well so I'm gonna hold out a little longer. The update to 10.7 was just 30 dollars Canadian so why not.

So if I get 10.7 Lion I should be able to join you guys at the latest upgrade to 10.12.1? Or is there another upgrade I need to make to be able to get 10.12.1? I was reading you actually need 10.7.5 to update but I would imagine once I get 10.7 it'll be easy to update?

And can your older macbooks handle it? I hope my 77 month old macbook can handle it!
    Edit:
    So I have 10.6.8 of Snow Leopard.

13inch, Macbook Pro Mid 2010 just checked serial number.

I've backed up all my writing files/pictures files already on a memory card.

It says memory was 4 GB but now it say I have 2GB and says status is okay.

I could probably clean some stuff out to prepare.

And the model is 7.1

2. Stotka macrumors regular

Stotka

I wouldnt go up. Just use Safari. Snow Leopard is the best oS they have ever had! I really miss it :) Too bad I cant use it on newer machines :(