still on your first iPhone 4/4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mzd, Sep 14, 2012.

?

original iPhone or returned?

1. original iPhone 4

40 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. returned/replaced/refurb iPhone 4

9 vote(s)
    9.9%
  3. original iPhone 4S

30 vote(s)
    33.0%
  4. returned/replaced/refurb iPhone 4S

6 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. option for 3GS and earlier, orig, replaced, whatever

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. chickens

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. mzd macrumors 6502a

there have been a lot of threads on many returns/replacements for various reasons, and i'm just curious how many are still on their first iPhone 4 or 4S.

i got my iPhone 4 on launch and haven't had any problems with it and have managed to not break the glass thus far... ;)

2. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I picked up my iPH4 in may of 2011 and so far it has been great. Really love it, i moved from a Palm Treo to the iPH4.

3. hamlin macrumors regular

I got the iphone 4 when it came out. Sold it and bought an android (big mistake) and then sold the android (motorola razr) and bought an iphone 4 again. Surprisingly the Iphone 4 which has lower specs, was faster than my droid razr.

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I am on my second i4. I lock button stopped working. Luckily I was still in warranty buy a few weeks.

5. TWD98j macrumors regular

Launch day iPhone 4S on AT&T. Still in like new condition even through HEAVY daily usage. It works for my needs quite well.

6. scaredpoet, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I got my iPhone 4 on launch day and had the same one until about a month after the 4S came out. Then, I got my 4S and it's the same one I'm using today, and barring any accidents will likely be the one I hand off to my significant other when I have the 5 in my hands.

By the way: I also had an iPad 2 from launch till a month after the iPad 3 came out, and I never returned or exchanged either the 2 or the 3. And I'm about as OCD as they come. Although I found no manufacturer defects, I know, obsess over and memorize every minute nick, scratch and scuff that ever appears on my MacBook, iPhone, iPad, and my car from daily use or accidents. I take fanatical care of my devices and no one else who's looked them over notice any flaws unless they look closely and I point them out, but I see and know them all very well.

But make no mistake, you're gonna get lots of threads from people who will be returning and exchanging iPhone 5 units 4, 5, 6, 7+ times because they perceive that the color is off, or they don't like the fit and finish, or they have light leaks. I still haven't decided if they're just incredibly unlucky, or if they're imagining problems that might not be there.

It happens every year. But people conveniently forget, and those "Tim Cook's lackluster keynote means Apple is going downhill" threads will abruptly give way to "the lack of quality control in the iPhone 5 means Apple is going downhill" threads. Mark my words.

I'll also just put this out there: If you swap out your iPhone 5 four or more times, and still aren't happy, it's probably time to just collect a refund and give up. Maybe postpone your purchase a month or two, or try a different store or method of purchase. Because if you can't get the "perfect" phone after try #4, it's highly unlikely that try #26 in the same time span will be any better.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
    -Albert Einstein

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

19 months with my first iPhone 5, a $99 refurb.

8. Zord macrumors 6502

Zord

I got my iPhone 4S on Launch Day and haven't had a single problem with it. No broken glass either. :)

9. anthdci macrumors 6502

launch day iPhone4 still going, home button not too reliable now however.

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I got my iP4 on launch day, approx June 23, 2010. I found it had battery issues and went in and got a replacement within about a month or so, and have had that unit since then. Over 2 years now. And I don't use any case.

Could have sold it last year when the 4S came out for $375. Actually had it on craigslist and got tons of calls, but then decided not to upgrade.

Not sure if I will sell it now that I am getting a 5, or keep it since it will dock with my clock radio and at my desk at work. Might strip most of the apps out, and turn it into a dedicated iPod Touch.

11. braindead5400 macrumors regular

I've had the same iPhone 4 since launch but the home button is a nightmare sometimes. For the most part I can't use the multitasking bar because it takes too many tries to get the phone to recognize two taps. I tried using the on screen home button but found it too annoying.

12. FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

Android is a very heavyweight OS, if a iPhone were to run it, it would literally lag like hell.

13. Kafka macrumors 6502

Still using the iPhone 4 I bought at launch, the battery still easily lasts 3 days on average use ... However this summer the home button became horribly irresponsive making the device barely usable at times, so I was thinking about buying the iphone 5 when it was released... However after a quick google search yesterday that damn button works litterally like new.

To those having an annoying home button, do youself a favor and check those 2 links:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3022587?start=405&tstart=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSqPC1V0PPg&feature=related

My iPhone 4 will go for a third year.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I am still rocking my launch day iPhone 4. I got a couple of scratches on the screen, but it is no big deal.

15. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Returned my 4 almost a year and a half ago due to home button issues. Refurb has been fine since.

16. SCOfoshO macrumors member

same. I have to push on it pretty hard sometimes.

17. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I've had my iPhone 4S since February and it's still as good as it was straight out of the box :)

18. stuffradio macrumors 65816

Got my iPhone 4 pre-ordered on launch day in Canada. Haven't had problems with it, and haven't dropped it or spilled anything on it. I'm very careful with my phones. It was the same with my iPhone 3G, but I accidentally put the 3G in my pocket with my car keys once or twice. Didn't do it again after that.

19. DavidMc macrumors member

Original 4 from July of 2011. My account is up for renewal and upgrade but I am not ready yet. Just had to give up a Galaxy S3 work phone and since I have been carrying Android's for many years now for work, It has me second guessing the upgrade to the 5. Waiting on iPhone 5 reviews and sample pictures form the camera plus the release of the Note 2 and Lumia 920 before I decide where I go next. However, I did just place an order for a home button replacement kit on Amazon. Need to un jailbreak for iOS 6 which means I lose Activator, which was the only reason I jailbroke to begin with, and this home button is not going to cut it.

20. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Still on my original iPhone 4S. I did have to have my 4 replaced last summer sometime because the home button stopped responding reliably and the camera developed a bizarre smudge right in the middle of every photo. I was out of warranty by something like 3 days but the Apple guy was cool and exchanged it anyway.

21. srxtr macrumors 6502a

Mine's also the original 4 from July 2010. Since then my home button became a problem a year after my purchase, and I had to replace it myself since my AppleCare expired.

It still works like new.

22. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

This is such a positively re-assuring thread. All to often you only hear about people having to replace their iGear, mainly because people come here for help and advice about it or just have a good moan. Its rare you see anyone say that they are still on their first phone :).

As for my iPhone, my first iphone was a 3GS which never needed to be replaced or repaired. I since upgraded to a 4S which is also still the original. The only problem with my 4S is I accidently dropped it and broke the back glass cover. Completely my fault though and not a defect. I was going to repair it, but its held togeth fine, and everyone who sees it thinks its cool seeing as it seems to have cracked only around the apple logo :D

23. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Got my 32GB iP4 at launch. Still love it, but always longed for 64GB for all my music.

I was seriously thinking about preordering the iP5 today, but that new dock connector obsoletes all my current accessories or requires me to buy a ton of clunky EXPENSIVE adapters.

With that, I just ordered a 64GB 4s for $299. In store-pickup today. No preorder mania and I get a proven device. Cases and accessories are plentiful and cheap. I'm happy. See you all in 2 years time. :)

24. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

My first one I spilled water into the dock connector at work. They replaced her even with the water damage because there wasn't corrosion. The second I got really poor battery life and they replaced her for free again. The battery life issues were my fault though since I put her through really unhealthy battery cycles.

25. ok3wire macrumors member

I purchased my iPhone 4 a few months after its release and am still using it. No real probs to speak of. Battery life could be better, but I surf a lot and that shortcoming is mitigated somewhat by the fact that it seems to recharge pretty quickly.