iPhone Still running iOS 7 and I am happy with it...should I still update

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Neebee, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Neebee macrumors 6502a

I've been avoiding iOS 8 since day 1. I downloaded it back then and I hated it. I was able to revert back to iOS 7 during that unusual long window period last year.

I have the iPhone 5, 16GB version with more than 150 apps on my iPhone. I find everything is fine the way it is now. I have no crashes, I have no need to update my apps to the latest version. So far, everything works as it should.

I came across an article the other day where the writer said he avoided iOS 8 himself and had issues with it on other devices. However, he is now promoting iOS 8.3.

I am a firm believer in not updating an OS to more than one version higher than what came with the device. In my case, that would be iOS 7.

I don't know what I will gain in updating to iOS 8.3. I know iOS 8+ swallows more than 500 MB of the onboard 1 GB volatile RAM, compare to around 200 MB with ioS 7. I also wonder if my older apps that I havent update for a long time because the later versions are bloated may become obsolete after updating. Hence, I am really on the fence here.

In terms of experience. I dont want to lose my current performance and fluidity of the apps and iPhone, only to gain some lag. I know all too well what that's all about. Any new updates will also suck my device's memory more so too because they're "optimized" for iOS 8. My available storage RAM will also be less as a result of updating the OS and apps too. I am in a comfortable position right now of not having to update if I don't have to.

Therefore, do I need to update my iPhone 5?

2. Matheew944 macrumors regular

3. entropi macrumors 6502

4. fardeenah macrumors regular

NO!!!! unless your apps need need iOS 8, just don't. ios 8 sucks dude

5. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

It is tolerable on 32 bit devices like iPhone 5. Only 64 bit devices with 1 GB RAM are having problems.

You can go ahead with installing 8.1.3 and it will be ok. You might notice less responsive touchscreen here and there. But Apple copied touchscreen non responsiveness from Android by mistake too.

6. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Wait for 8.2 to come out - If you're happy there is pretty much no reason to update yet (well there could be security issues, but I'm not too certain). I have iOS 8 on my iPhone 5 and its pretty good.

7. Mstreg macrumors newbie

8. saudor macrumors 6502

i have 8.1.3 on my i5 and it's ok for the most part provided you dont use the 3rd party keyboards. Where it stinks the most is on ipads.

9. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

I think iOS 8 runs fine on the iPhone 5. It's one of the, if not the best iPhone while on it's third version of iOS.

But since you don't have a reason to install iOS 8 and appear to want justification to not upgrade you should just keep iOS 7. I personally like some of the features iOS 8 brings.

Maybe iOS 9 will work even better on the iPhone 5 if the rumors about it are true.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

You don't need to, but you might want to (or not).

11. Neebee thread starter macrumors 6502a

A device running just ok doesn't sit well with me.

I've been rather OCD this evening about this. And there have seen several negative comments on upgrading so I will leave things be. I really don't have faith in iOS 9. I hope to be proven wrong. :)

Any how, there is nothing compelling in forcing me to upgrade. Like the old saying goes: if it ain't broke, don't fix it". ;)

12. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

iOS 8 is the Pre-Reboot Longhorn of iOS. Bugs from the early betas are still in the current 8.1.3 build. Every damn day. I have complete faith that iOS 9 will change all that though as Apple can't afford to put out another crappy release.

13. ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

Don't do it! I would even trade my iPhone 6 for a 5/5s running iOS 7.

14. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

I have upgraded my 5s and truthfully have not had any significant problems. If I had it to do over again, I probably would not have done it for a while because once you do it, you can't undo it. Anyway, there really isn't a wrong answer to your question.:)

15. AppleGeek1127 macrumors member

AppleGeek1127

I'm running iOS 8 on my iPhone 5, and I have very few complaints. The original 8.0 GM release with a mess, but most problems are fixed with 8.1.3

If you're interested in the new features and still want to be receiving security updates, go ahead and update. Elsewise, stay where you're at.

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

By switching back to the 5S with iOS 7:

- you get a slower iPhone
    - you get a smaller screen.
    - You lose Apple Pay (which is being widely adopted)
    - You lose extensions (which add additional function)
    - You lose custom keyboards
    - You lose access to certain apps that require iOS 8 (like Skype, Yahoo)
    - You lose handoff and other integrated functions with Mac OS

What are you going to do with the 5S? go hide in some cave and caress it and call it your "precious" as the world moves on?

17. newellj macrumors 601

I am very satisfied with iOS 8. However, unless one of the following applies, why upgrade?

- you have a device that supports Apple Pay and you want to use it
    - you want to use Continuity or Handoff
    - there are apps that you want to install or update that require iOS 8

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Or you want to use widgets, or you want to use third party keyboards, or you want to be able to use quick reply, or etc...

19. newellj macrumors 601

Yes, and there are other reasons. I was hitting the big ones. The post above mine has another list. Personally, iOS 8 runs great on all of my devices and all of my family's devices, I like the features, and in my experience there's no reason not to update an iPhone 5 or equivalent iOS device to iOS 8, but there is also the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. If he's happy, he doesn't need to worry.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I still run iOS 7, since there is nothing that iOS 8 offers that I need or want. I don't upgrade iOS or OS X just because a new version is available. If it offers no benefit for the user, why bother?

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yup, ultimately it's that last sentence that applies the most.