Still under warranty (last ounce of hope)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Telp, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I know its not under warranty still, but i thought id post this just to make sure. My keyboard is broken ( a couple keys dont work) so i decided to take it apart to see if i could fix it. Of course i couldnt, i put it back together, and realized the light for the CAPS LOCK key fell out. Hmm sees like a dead giveaway to the fact that it was opened. I cant try and get a new keyboard outta this anymore can i?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If your warranty has expired, Apple won't replace the keyboard. The fact that you opened it doesn't really matter.

That said, it never hurts to take it to a Genius Bar, in the off-chance you get genius that may be willing to help you.

3. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Ok, well i think it is still under warranty, as long as opening it up doesnt matter. If i bring it to the genius bar and try, do i need to bring the warranty information?

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Generally, anything you break while the computer is opened is not covered, but it's really up to the genius's discretion.

In this case, just explain that the keyboard is malfunctioning... if they don't ask any questions, don't say anything. :D

If they do inquire about the missing caps lock light, or notice that it has been tampered with, just honestly explain your situation. ...The keyboard was broken, and you tried to fix it, but broke it further.

They should replace it without any problems.

I don't believe so, but it never hurts.

5. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Alright, thanks for your help. :) Ill tell you how it goes.