Still worth it buying iPhone 5 or go for the 5C?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marcelo4527, Sep 16, 2013.

1. marcelo4527 macrumors member

I know apple discontinued the iPhone 5 and replaced with the 5C but I personally don't like the idea of all the colors and a plastic phone and the iPhone 5 looks really good IMO.. But knowing that apple has discontinued the iPhone 5 makes me wonder if I should still buy it or not.. Why did they discontinued? Would it be too expensive to sell at that lower price? Did the phone itself had a major flaw that only "lasted" a year?

So which one should I buy? (Consider both of the are at the same price)

2. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Go for the iphone 5. Aluminium looks nicer than plastic :rolleyes:

3. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Why are so many people here making a big deal about a plastic phone. Doesn't seem to bother the Android crowd. Some of the finest phones from HTC and Google are all plastic. Nothing new here.

4. c0LdFire macrumors regular

It's cheap feeling/looking. Personally, I find Android 4.x to be far more functional then iOS, yet I am using an iPhone because of the significantly superior build quality / materials used (and because of the lack of carrier control over updates).

Not that it matters to me, though. I'll be getting a 5S on Friday, not a 5C.

5. marcelo4527 thread starter macrumors member

I wouldn't be bothered with a plastic phone but if I could chose between 2 identical phones, one being plastic and colorful, and the other aluminum "premium feel" phone, I rather pick the one that looks nicer.

My only concern about picking the iPhone 5 is that the fact that apple has discontinued could be a problem somehow..

6. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

At this point its mostly preference if deciding between 5C and 5. I happen to like the 5C design a lot and would grab a blue one but I want the 5S.

----------

Then get the 5. Its not going to be an issue for at least a couple years. 2 or 3 years down the road it will be pretty much unsupported but you'll have a new phone by then I imagine.

7. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Since its a lot of the same internals. I would base your decision on your preference for what it looks like. Like metal and glass get the 5, like the color choices, get the 5c.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Because of the additional coatings Apple uses, its supposed to feel like ceramic, not cheap plastic.

9. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

2 of Apple's best selling phones the 3g and 3gs were plastic,I still remember waiting in line for the 3g.
    I can tell you one thing,my 3g and 3gs held up a heck of a lot better than my 5.Don't get me wrong I love the aluminum finish like everyone else,but they don't hold up well to scuffs and scrapes.
    And Apple never makes a cheap feeling phone,all the reviews so far on the 5c are it is very well constructed and doesn't feel like plastic more like ceramic,and has a steel reinforced frame.I am looking forward to receiving my blue 5c.

10. 617aircav Suspended

Why does plastic matter. Plastic or metal, it will have a plastic case over it for most people anyway.

11. chumps52 macrumors regular

Personally I prefer the look of the 5C, just the general curved edges etc., and as it's made of plastic you probably won't need a case. The front camera is also improved, but not by much at all....
    However seeing as I already have a 5 there's no point in me getting a 5C ;)

But if you can afford an extra $100/£80 then it's probably worth getting the 5S.

12. billycuth macrumors 6502a

Um, quite frankly I've avoided the galaxy s hype because of the plastic. They're cheap.

----------

oooooooooooooooooooooh ceramic. like my brakes.

13. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

If you have read any of the hands on reviews of the 5c from last Tuesday's event, it's been stated by numerous reviewers from multiple websites that the build quality and feel of the plastic of the 5c is far superior to the Samsung phones. Just because it's plastic doesn't mean that it's cheap when it's actually done right.

14. billycuth macrumors 6502a

it looks cheap though.

Apple is a premium level product. They don't need to lower themselves to their competition. They've proved this for years.

15. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Neither. Buy the iPhone 5s. It will hold a greater value because of the newer technologies that both the 5 and 5c lack. You will get a greater value when you sell or trade it by the time its due for you to get you're next phone.

16. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Who are you trying to impress?

17. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502a

Cheap like the ... oh I dont know ... iPhone 3G and 3GS?

18. LithePanther macrumors 6502

I'd pick a white iPhone 5C over a silver iPhone 5 any day of the week.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The white with the black case looks really nice. Like an iPod phone.

20. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Go for the 5! It's classy and elegant and the 5Cs just look like kids toys to me.

21. billycuth macrumors 6502a

You. I really just want to impress you.

----------

Sure, those are 4 and 5 year old phones at this point.

When they made the jump to glass and metal it upped their game.

And for me, I like to keep them naked (I do put front/back screen protectors, but still).

Why go back?

Maybe I will feel different in person, but right now it's how I feel.

22. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

I had the 3G. It felt great. This is a step up in quality because of the steel cage inside. I have no doubt this will feel much better than the 3G. As nice looking as aluminum is, it's far too fragile for something that needs to be as rugged as a phone needs to be. If I have to cover it in a case, what's the point?

23. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Why are you asking then? The iPhone 5 has no major flaws.

24. oaktree macrumors regular

If I were looking to pay $99 instead of $199, I would buy the 5. It's a beautiful phone. But if you prefer color, then go with the 5c. I think it's really a matter of preference.