Stock levels of "3" UK nano and micro sim

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SilentLoner, Oct 21, 2012.

1. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Decided to go for their unlimited data pay as you go sim only. Not the monthly plan. Do 3 stores stock the nano sim?

2. magnificent me macrumors member

magnificent me

Yup they have stock coming in every week so try a three store and see what they say.

3. Beardy man macrumors regular

copied over from the UK thread:

Okay so on Friday my iPhone arrives. On Saturday my wife is going into Birmingham.
    I say "Go into 3 store off New Street and pick up a nano sim for me, I think they're free".

She goes into store but the assistant is totally unhelpful.
    "I can't give you a nano sim. I need info from your husband"
    "Like what?"
    "Date of birth for example"
    "For a free sim? I can give you that."
    "No it needs to be him. He can phone and get one delivered"
    "But I'm standing here with all the info, and it's a free sim"
    "No can do"

So, basically, don't expect any help from 3. I'll be using GiffGaf or O2.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

What did you want them to do? Let a complete stranger either:

a) Start an account in your name

b) Change your existing account

Without you being there?

Think about why that's a bad idea!

I doubt the OP wants to do that, so they should have no problems.

5. mushtama macrumors member

I had the same issue with the 3 store in New St as well. I went to the one in Coventry and was able to the nano sim no problem! (the contract is under my dad's name)

6. Beardy man macrumors regular

No, what I wanted was a free nano sim to put in my unlocked phone so I could sign up for a payg account. So it appears that the mistake was to say it was for me and not being there in person. Perhaps if my wife had said it was for her use initially ( she tried that when refused) she would have been given one?

The fact that if I ring up, they'll post one to me ( free) just seems to be a waste of time and (their) money. in the past, when we wanted a sim for an iPad, O2 were happy enough to give us one, no questions asked. My wife got one for her phone from GiffGaff, not sure why Three are so precious over theirs but as this was my introduction to their level of customer service I'm not inclined to try them again.

7. Furifo macrumors 6502

Walked in on launch day. They had 2 queues - an iPhone 5 queue and a nano sim queue. The actual process took them less than five minutes and they had loads of sims inside a box. They said I can go but the migration might take a few hours.

After I left the store, the migration from my normal sim -> nano sim took around 3 hours. Yours might be quicker than that because on the day I did mine, they were experiencing a lot of traffic.

8. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

That's the thing though. I don't want a contract just pay as you go :) ill find out I suppose.

9. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

That's quite funny, 3 who have nano sims instore and comply with DPA (perhaps too enthusiastically) and actually have customer service, want you to personally pick it up or have it posted, you are going to stamp your foot and go to GiffGaff who:

Don't supply nano sims
    Have no stores
    Have no customer service

AND

you have to order the micro sim to be delivered by post as the only method to get one.

Sounds quite well thought out....

Why not just do the sensible thing, let your wife go in and get you one in her name, or just to a 3 shop yourself, most are open 7 days a week, or, like you will have to do with GiffGaff, get one delivered.

10. Beardy man macrumors regular

When you put it like that it does seem a brain dead solution. On the other hand, not living anywhere near a Three store, I tried to get a nano sim from the only Three type store near where I live (they aren't a dedicated Three store) only to be told they only had micro sims, one of the GiffGaff community has posted me, first class, a tested cutdown nanosim with £5 of free credit on it (should arrive tomorrow) and so far has been a lot more helpful than the "live" Three staff.

Obviously, I'll have to wait and see how the rest of the process works out but as I'll be on a 30day rolling contract I can always move if I'm not happy, either wait 30days for the unlimited data to run out or bite the bullet and "waste" part of my £10 (£12 in November) and leave early!

At the moment I'm on O2 and apart from when I bought my current phone on a 2 year contract, I don't think I've actually been back in an O2 store, so lack of physical stores isn't an issue for me. YMMV